a newbie with a question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
AneesasMuse
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm
Country:
Location: SF Bay Area
Contact:

Postby AneesasMuse » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:25 pm

Welcome to the forum! :D

I recall the caresheet going into some detail about how to prepare chicken and various meats for your Bluey.

Your Beardie is very cute, btw. :)
"Lots of people talk to animals. Not that many listen though. That's the problem."
- Piglet
User avatar
Funda
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:35 am
Country:
Location: Australia: Victoria/Melbourne
Contact:

Postby Funda » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:23 pm

Hey again Flodder.
I see you posted pictures :D
Your breadie looks like a handsome young devil, if you ask me!
Love his colours and the way his enclosure is set up!

:blueyprint: f.C
*1 Dog, mitsy
*1 Cockatiel, Baylee
*2 Kittens, Lucky and Cuddles
*2 Eastern BTS, Saphia and Eragon.
*f.C Photography
*I love Cengiz, my love muffin!
User avatar
kris21
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 am
Country:
Location: Australia

Postby kris21 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:19 pm

Beautiful little beardie and the enclosure sounds great...i'd like to own it :)
My blueys do a bit of climbing, i don't have a lot of high things in the enclosure but they do climb up on what i have...logs etc.

Welcome to the group :D

Kris
Floddermousie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:30 am
Country:
Location: Leuven, Belgium

Postby Floddermousie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:15 am

thanks everyone

next questions: concerning the kind of blue skink
on the site I read there are many different types/subspecies
I have searched far and wide but I can only find 2 species available here in Belgium and the Netherlands, which are Tiliqua scincoides intermedia and the chimaera. I believe you call them Northern and Taninbar, respectivly, but everybody here used the latin terms.

The intermedia is probably the best one for me to buy, right?
Because the chimaera is a lot more feisty, bity, hissy?
The intermedia is calmer, right?
I knows they look a bit different but for me character is more important...

Ow and if anyone knows how much a baby skink should weigh? (more or less) At what age are they ready to be sold? I have seen some for sale wich were only 2 weeks old...?

sooo many questions :-)
User avatar
Funda
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:35 am
Country:
Location: Australia: Victoria/Melbourne
Contact:

Postby Funda » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:37 am

I think it was the Northern.
I've heard that they make great pets for the people that are new to this whole blue tonegue skink thing.
But not quit sure.

:blueyprint: f.C
*1 Dog, mitsy

*1 Cockatiel, Baylee

*2 Kittens, Lucky and Cuddles

*2 Eastern BTS, Saphia and Eragon.

*f.C Photography

*I love Cengiz, my love muffin!
User avatar
kvega92
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Frederick, Maryland

Postby kvega92 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:48 am

I cook chicken for Tink and he enjoys it. He also likes beef. I think he perfers the beef to the chicken. zI like doing beef because you dont have to add anything to cook it. I think that when a lot of people first begin with their blueys they start with crickets. At least I did becuase that is what the pet shop told me that I needed. I went and bought a keeper and food for the crickets and my bluey never ate one single cricket. I got all stressed that he was not eating and then I found this forum and learned more. Your beardie is beautiful.
Love till the ends of your fingertips.
User avatar
Jenn
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am
Country:
Location: CT

Postby Jenn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:19 am

I would definetly reccomend the northern as your first skink. They are much calmer and docile. Tanimbars can be sweet but it takes more work to get them that way and they are more skitish.

6 of my skinks are in sliding glass fronts cages and unless you leave them cracked open the skinks can't move them and trust me some of my guys have tried. But leave it cracked and if they put the effort in they can move it.
1.0 Northerns Christopher

:blueyprint:
Floddermousie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:30 am
Country:
Location: Leuven, Belgium

Postby Floddermousie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:25 am

Jenn wrote:I would definetly reccomend the northern as your first skink. They are much calmer and docile. Tanimbars can be sweet but it takes more work to get them that way and they are more skitish.

6 of my skinks are in sliding glass fronts cages and unless you leave them cracked open the skinks can't move them and trust me some of my guys have tried. But leave it cracked and if they put the effort in they can move it.


thanks for the info, a northern (intermedia) it is!
if anyone knows belgium or dutch breeders, let me know!
User avatar
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:35 pm
Country:
Location: Body and Heart-Colorado Soul-OZ

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:54 am

Floddermousie wrote:
Jenn wrote:I would definetly reccomend the northern as your first skink. They are much calmer and docile. Tanimbars can be sweet but it takes more work to get them that way and they are more skitish.

6 of my skinks are in sliding glass fronts cages and unless you leave them cracked open the skinks can't move them and trust me some of my guys have tried. But leave it cracked and if they put the effort in they can move it.


thanks for the info, a northern (intermedia) it is!
if anyone knows belgium or dutch breeders, let me know!



Johan's from Belgium isn't he? Does he breed any?
~*Luce*~
The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)




1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
Floddermousie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:30 am
Country:
Location: Leuven, Belgium

Postby Floddermousie » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:56 am

Lucifer_Spades wrote:

Johan's from Belgium isn't he? Does he breed any?


i dunno
who is johan?
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:20 am

He's an original member; I'll try to let him know about this thread.

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
suez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 2:12 pm
Country:

Postby suez » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:16 pm

Hi flodder welcome about your beardie he is lovely but you can keep him and not feed crickets. silkworms/butterworms/calciworms /phoenixworms all available on net packed full of calcium great feeder insects and the beardies love them you need never use crickets again my Loui thats my skink loves all of these foods also.as for the chicken i boil the chicken in water until there is no pink visible i do a whole breast then freeze it so its always available. By the way your enclosure looks fab
suez
User avatar
bluetonguemad
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:26 pm
Country:
Location: New Zealand, windy wellington

Postby bluetonguemad » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:22 pm

just thought i should come and add my 2 cents for all its worth, as i have no experience in any reptile except turtles, this probably wont help...

beardies can be kept without crickets, you just need to find a good enough replacement, they wouldnt eat them all the time in the wild and such...

those pictures are gorgeous, im so jelous..

:btsnet2: welome all the same and i hope you really enjoy it

also O.T but i have been to belgium and all of that area of europe, its a very lovely place, switzerland was great i loved the mountains.

oh well i hope you have a great time... :gangsta:
"whats that little voice? you want to jump?"ÿes matt i want to jump""jump where voice?""right into your pocket of magical dreams":P

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 300 guests