Snails Anyone?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Leigh
Leigh of the Law
Leigh of the Law
Posts: 6695
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
Country:
Location: Bristol, England

Postby Leigh » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:03 am

As long as you use a filtration system they'll be clean Steve, its actually safer in a closed system as you know there's nothing but what you've put in it.
MMMmmmmm... Something???????
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:51 am

Does anyone know of a good source to get snails online?
Steve
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:30 pm
Country:
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:04 am

Well you can't buy land snails from out of state...

Aquatic snails can be found on ebay, aquabid, etc.

Canned escargot snails can be found on amazon.com
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:06 am

And the best kinds to feed to blueys are like the mystery or garden snails?
Steve
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:30 pm
Country:
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:55 am

Are you buying them to breed yourself?

I've never seen data on the composition of various snails, so I can't say if one type is healthier than another. It's just finding the appropriate size.
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:58 am

If its simple enough and they would survive the winter in my basement, I may give it a go. Dunno though. I would like to get a new staple meat other than cat food and chicken and the occassional egg.
RLeeW
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:06 am
Country:
Location: Colorado

Postby RLeeW » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:01 am

Can you use snails from the grocery store? I'd love for Gordy to try them - he is such a culinary expert on food
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:29 pm

RLeeW wrote:Can you use snails from the grocery store? I'd love for Gordy to try them - he is such a culinary expert on food



Canned snails? Many additives and high in salt. Wouldn't kill your animal, but not anything you'd want to feed regularly...

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
Steve
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:30 pm
Country:
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:35 pm

Not that high in salt, Zach... spices in some cans, others are just water, salt, and ascorbic acid (vitamin C)

You can also get canned snails from Zoomed. Most petstores don't stock them in stores, but online you can find them.
User avatar
aggiegirl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 pm
Country:

apples and spixies

Postby aggiegirl » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:26 pm

I recently ran an ad on craigslist begging for large aquatic snails. Some nice lady donated at least a dozen apples and spixies to me. I had planned on using babies for my blueys but these snails are so COOL that I don't think I'll ever be able to feed them out. Roaches yes, but the snails no. Our snails are safe in their pet capacity. Can't say the same for the roaches! :wink:
Any hints for breeding snails are welcome. Anyone who lives nearby can definitely share but lie to me about feeding them to your blueys. I have two ten gallon temps and these guys are huge!
I think I spend more time caring for feeders than blueys now. Something is definitely wrong with this picture!!!!
:doh:
User avatar
Tattoo
BT Beldam
BT Beldam
Posts: 6669
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:18 am
Country:
Location: Vermont, USA

Postby Tattoo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:14 pm

Aggiegirl,

I hear you on not wanting to feed the aquatic snails to the skinks. I had a really hard time with it as I have kept snails as pets. This time I bought 5 snails that were all the same and refused to name them or admire them overly much. They have been portioned out as treats but it has been difficult. The only thing that has made me able to feed them out is the obvious thrill Tattoo has while she eats them. Oi ... being a parent is hard work sometimes. :roll:
The Crone ∞

1.0 Northern BTS - Tattoo
0.1 Indonesian BTS - Annubis
0.0.1 Silver Tanimbar - Mantic
User avatar
Jenn
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am
Country:
Location: CT

Postby Jenn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:05 pm

In my (and my skinks) eyes, snails = yummy, yummy food. I don't eat them though, :hurl: Just the skinks!
1.0 Northerns Christopher

:blueyprint:
User avatar
SailleSkinklover
Bluey Fanatic
Bluey Fanatic
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Everett WA
Contact:

Postby SailleSkinklover » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:02 pm

:rofl: Is that why you have so many skinks? So you can farm 'em then eat 'em???
(Sorry, I am totally being silly! :D I know you mean the snails, and not your darlings, but that is kinda what it sounded like! :lol: )
1.0. Merauke, Chuff Chuff
0.1.1 Irian Jayas, Nubbin, Marley
0.0.1 Northern, Hobbes
3.1.0.1 White Lined Geckos,CrazyHorse, Dad, Itchy, little female
7.10.17 Crested Geckos, HELP!
0.1.0 Leachie, Francis
1.2.0 Gargoyles, Everton, Ant, Juicebox
1.1.2 African Fat Tails, Burger Butt, Galaxy,t he kids
1.1.0.2 Tokays, Niles, Lillith
User avatar
Lisa
Blue Mountains Beauty
Blue Mountains Beauty
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:04 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW, Australia

Postby Lisa » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:06 pm

Yeah, I read it the same way. And she has the temerity to have a go at me for wanting to eat my lizards! :nono:
At least I only fantasise about it :hehe:

I had to bite the bullet and buy some. 24bucks for 60 medium to large snails. Should last about two days!
1 Eastern, JUBBY, born January 2004
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
User avatar
aggiegirl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 pm
Country:

snails

Postby aggiegirl » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:40 pm

Too late. I like all my snails. They have the coolest antennae and pink mouths. The apples are all the gold color. The spixies look like little zebra snails. Very relaxing to watch. Huge appetites. Poor Pele' and Charlotte are eating all the pest snails that the pet store gave me. Would love to feed them snails but not the pretty ones.... :oops: I suppose I'm too easily amused, huh? Getting the kids a millipede soon. Can't convince anyone else that a spider would work. Too bad... :wink:
User avatar
Leigh
Leigh of the Law
Leigh of the Law
Posts: 6695
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
Country:
Location: Bristol, England

Postby Leigh » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:32 am

You'll change your mind when you cant see into the tank because the suckers on the glass obscure your view
MMMmmmmm... Something???????
Steve
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:30 pm
Country:
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:59 pm

I've decided to try my hand at breeding Malaysian Trumpet Snails...

I'll report back soon on my progress and how my Pink Tongues take to them...
User avatar
Leigh
Leigh of the Law
Leigh of the Law
Posts: 6695
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
Country:
Location: Bristol, England

Postby Leigh » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:56 am

Steve are they land or aquatic and are they big or small?
MMMmmmmm... Something???????
Steve
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:30 pm
Country:
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:02 am

small aquatic snails that are live birth.
Image
User avatar
Leigh
Leigh of the Law
Leigh of the Law
Posts: 6695
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
Country:
Location: Bristol, England

Postby Leigh » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:09 am

I have seen but not been invaded by those snails, if the large ones are adult size they should be ok, I remember some one fed a skink rams horns {I think thats the name}and the outcome was the shell splintered dangerously, and that towards the top of the spiral was too hard to be broke.

Before you go potty breeding them, give the boy a few to sample and observe how he gets on with them.
MMMmmmmm... Something???????

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 249 guests