OFF-TOPIC THREAD 10

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
AneesasMuse
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm
Country:
Location: SF Bay Area
Contact:

Postby AneesasMuse » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:36 pm

Thanks! I'll do that. I am fairly geographically challenged myself, so Milwaukie doesn't ring a bell with me either. My children live in Medford and I can kind of find my way to major cities like Eugene or Portland :P

~Aminah
"Lots of people talk to animals. Not that many listen though. That's the problem."
- Piglet
User avatar
Soggydog
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:38 pm
Country:

Postby Soggydog » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:19 pm

My friend wants to get a Great Plains skink for his birthday and I was wondering if anybody knew any breeders
My theory is that Dick Cheney is every sin ever made by man put into physical form.
User avatar
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm
Country:
Location: Philippines

Postby Drew » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:43 am

posting more pics..
some are my pets, some are of my friends..
hope you guys like it..

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

and the last one... crispy when fried... hehe

Image
** true blooded Filipino herper!!! **
NomadOfTheHills
The Scout
The Scout
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:07 pm
Country:

Postby NomadOfTheHills » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:15 am

Love the chelonians :D
User avatar
Leigh
Leigh of the Law
Leigh of the Law
Posts: 6695
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
Country:
Location: Bristol, England

Postby Leigh » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:44 am

The third and fifth tort pictures are my fav's , just got to love those two patterns/colours
MMMmmmmm... Something???????
User avatar
LittleFoot
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Country:
Location: NE Pennsy

Postby LittleFoot » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:30 am

This is our 4 week old sulcatta...we got her when she was 4 days old, just starting to handle her very briefly every couple of days. I am so glad we got her since her entire cluth died between 1 week and 10 days :( :( :( :( :( My daughter named her Tinkerbell....again teaching me not to let a 6 year old name a pet, especially one that will be 100 pounds :D

Image
Image
Pippi
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:24 am

What a cute little bugger!
User avatar
aggiegirl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 pm
Country:

love the torts!

Postby aggiegirl » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:52 pm

I was soooo tempted to get a Herman's tortoise at a recent herp show. Of course, I have to research everything to oblivion before I make a commitment (ask poor Zach!) I love my blueys. They are in perfect harmony with my life. They make me want to delve deeper into the reptile experience. Also, my geriatric Newf died last summer and I miss her sorely. :cry: My son's allergist says no more fur or feathers. What can I get that is relatively easy to care for (no rodent feeders), cheap to keep, and entertaining/intelligent like my blueys? Anyone know about Rankin's Dragons? Any easy tortoises? Any other lizards that I've overlooked? Please fire away with suggestions. I've googled til my fingers hurt and now I want some advice from experienced reptile lovers! Thanks!
User avatar
AneesasMuse
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm
Country:
Location: SF Bay Area
Contact:

Postby AneesasMuse » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:17 pm

I love my Beardie, Hugo... he's small due to a bad start before I rescued him, so similar to a Rankin's; and I think Joob, my Red Foot tortoise is just amazing! She's not difficult at all and quite friendly with us, now that she's settled and healthy again. (She's also a rescued baby) Red Foots don't get as large as some of the other torts, either. Ray breeds them, too ;)
"Lots of people talk to animals. Not that many listen though. That's the problem."

- Piglet
User avatar
LittleFoot
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Country:
Location: NE Pennsy

Postby LittleFoot » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:46 pm

Sulcattas are not the tortoise for everybody....they get incredibly large (3rd largest species in the world) and they are amazing diggers. However they do have wonderful personalities and great dispositions. I am up to four and that will be my limit...three females and we don't know yet if Tinkerbell is a boy or girl yet.
Pippi
User avatar
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
Country:
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Postby Dragontears » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:49 pm

MartinsPerson wrote:
Jenn wrote:
MartinsPerson wrote:Bianca is the IJ that I just got from Morgana (she used to be called Penelope). I'm hoping to breed her to Nona for '08 babies. I will charge my camera and get photos asap.


:spot: I'll be waiting for the thread!!! :spot:


She's a pretty lady. I might have to call on Renee and see if she'll take some of the pictures. Her camera is WAY better than mine. Such a pretty skinkie deserves great photos. :-D


just give me a call!
User avatar
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
Country:
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Postby Dragontears » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:51 pm

Reptscue wrote:Hey DT... a friend of mine called me the other night to come and pick up 2 of these guys....
Image
Seems to be 1.1.

I can't wait for my two versicolors to become adults. And your A. purpurea is to die for... I don't hae one of those yet. My goal is to have every type of Avic you can. They are my favorite.


avics and pokies are turning into my favorites. Avics are a lot less scary than pokies though. My other versi molted into a mature female on Friday! Now I really need to find a boy!
User avatar
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
Country:
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Postby Dragontears » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:53 pm

NomadOfTheHills wrote:Looking good Drew!


Dragontears, I have found that my a. versicolor slings way to fast to handle on a regular basis lol.

Also, I have been very successful keeping them in larger than normal enclosures. I use the cups you would get a betta from petsmart in, with many holes.

I've read that ventilation is key with this species, and with the larger container, it seems like there is much more air, so it doesn't get "stale" very quickly at all.


versi slings are fast and definitely unpredictable, but mine have mellowed out a LOT as they have grown. I've had Gem for about 4 years now and she is quite friendly now.

I also keep mine in larger containers than necessary. Maybe that's the secret. I've still had a bit of mold here and there over the years, but maybe with the larger containers the T can get away from it.
User avatar
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:35 pm
Country:
Location: Body and Heart-Colorado Soul-OZ

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:55 pm

We ended up pulling a rescue today.

We were grilling out at the local park and there were a bunch of very excited kids down by the shore of the lake ther, we went over to see what was up and the kids were harrassinga newly hatched snapping turtle.

We weren't able to release him there as the kids wouldn't leave the poor thing alone so we have a temporary member of the family until we can turn him over to a friend who is a rehabilitator and foster care for unwanteds.

So yeah, we have a baby snapping turtle until further notice.
~*Luce*~
The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)




1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
Phantom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:39 pm
Country:
Location: Near Chicago

Postby Phantom » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:40 pm

Lucifer_Spades wrote:We ended up pulling a rescue today.

We were grilling out at the local park and there were a bunch of very excited kids down by the shore of the lake ther, we went over to see what was up and the kids were harrassinga newly hatched snapping turtle.

We weren't able to release him there as the kids wouldn't leave the poor thing alone so we have a temporary member of the family until we can turn him over to a friend who is a rehabilitator and foster care for unwanteds.

So yeah, we have a baby snapping turtle until further notice.


I hate kids
0.0.1 Irian Jaya- Rodney
0.0.1 Columbian Boa- Spanky
1.0.0 Dumeril Boa- Rocco
User avatar
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:35 pm
Country:
Location: Body and Heart-Colorado Soul-OZ

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:47 pm

Phantom wrote:
Lucifer_Spades wrote:We ended up pulling a rescue today.

We were grilling out at the local park and there were a bunch of very excited kids down by the shore of the lake ther, we went over to see what was up and the kids were harrassinga newly hatched snapping turtle.

We weren't able to release him there as the kids wouldn't leave the poor thing alone so we have a temporary member of the family until we can turn him over to a friend who is a rehabilitator and foster care for unwanteds.

So yeah, we have a baby snapping turtle until further notice.


I hate kids


Don't hate the kids, hate the parents that were sitting 6 feet away and were allowing it.
My kids would never treat an animal like that because i have taught them to respect living things.
~*Luce*~

The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)




1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
User avatar
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm
Country:
Location: Philippines

Postby Drew » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:38 pm

what a cute sulcata. i remember our sulcata.. shucks. he died a week ago, hatchling defiency syndrome.. :? :(
** true blooded Filipino herper!!! **
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:53 pm

I hate parents who don't teach their children to respect animals! I spent all pilot training with a roommate who believed all animals were better dead than alive! Needless to say it required a lot of tact and restraint on my part. Oh, or a few years ago when I was rescuing baby seagulls I decided to show the neighborhood kids. The kids were allowed to watch what I was doing, and how I was handling the young birds, but they weren't allowed to touch them. One of the local parents freaked and called my parents to tell them I was doing horrible things and playing with trash and getting the kids sick. I almost had to give up the birds after that. There should defiately be requirements to have kids, and a respect for animals should be included.

Oh, FYI, I wasn't dealing with baby birds or injured birds who would require a rehabilitator, so don't worry. I live by a mall where seagulls used to nest. The young birds learning to fly would glide down into the parking lot, but couldn't get up and away. To stop them from being hit by cars, I'd take them for a few days to an outdoor pen until they were able to fly without being thrown into the air (my test). I did this for 3 years, but for the past 2 the mall has eliminated the nests before they could hatch. I hate humans!

That rant felt good.
User avatar
SailleSkinklover
Bluey Fanatic
Bluey Fanatic
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Everett WA
Contact:

Postby SailleSkinklover » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:21 pm

I wonder if its just the kids? My mother was not at all an animal lover, and so she never "taught" me to respect other living things (I am adopted though!). It's just something I was always interested in, and that I learned by living in and watching the world around me. Frankly, I always got on better with critters than with most humans!!

But yes, I have to agree that there are definitely human parents out there who should be completely removed from the gene pool! (there are just too many of us humans, and I think because of that, so many people have lost respect for life in general, as well as other living beings!) Chlorine anybody!!??
:whistle:

(When in doubt, cuddle a Bluey! Ahhh, there. All better!)

:tongue:
User avatar
LittleFoot
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Country:
Location: NE Pennsy

Postby LittleFoot » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:32 am

My mom is not an animal person, but she let me indulge my hobbies and have as many pets as I wanted as long as I took care of them. Plus the fact that my grandfather ran small wild animal rescue in our basement helped...we had blue jays, robins, squirrels, and once a pair of baby racoons whose mom was killed by a car...they were the cutest, but the biggest trouble makers.

I was in a Lowe's garden center a couple of weeks ago and a small sparrow had flown into the glass door, stunning itself. A 12 year old kid who should have known better started kicking it into a wall :shock: :shock: :shock: while the mother looked on saying "oh sweetie don't do that" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Before I could step in the employee asked the kid if he wanted him to kick him against the wall for a while. They then took the bird to the vet. I asked later if the bird survived and they said yes and it was released. :D
Pippi

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 206 guests