Page 1 of 1
Do you heat your bluey's meals?
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:13 am
by mom22wins
I know alot of us keep a mixture on hand in the fridge to feed our bluey's. I find that Sammy won't eat hers until after it's set in the enclosure and warmed up a bit. Do any of you heat your bluey's meal out of the fridge?
I'm also curious if any of you have a bluey that just won't eat it cold or just doesn't care what it is as long as it's food!

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:39 am
by Hijinks
I cover leftovers in the food dish with plastic wrap and run it under a hot faucet to gently bring it up to room temperature. The microwave makes it gross. I have no doubt that he would eat it cold, but I imagine that's not the healthiest thing.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:44 am
by Zach
I warm mine up a bit, but with 10 lizards, there aren't typically any leftovers.

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:31 pm
by russman
I don't heat mine up, and my guys usually dig right in.. especially Tybo. Tuck is pickier, but still eats it cold. I think I will try warming it tonight to see how much more he eats.
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:32 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
Dwight doesn't care.
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:49 pm
by Fatal_S
Hmm, I think I'll try warming Trikks food today, see if he eats better. The other 2 dont care. I used to warm up Pryce's food, but he's a pig no matter what the tempurature.
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:42 pm
by LittleFoot
LittleFoot doesn't care, as long as it is in his dish, he will eat it
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:47 pm
by SailleSkinklover
We try not to feed "cold" food, as Chuff is somewhat picky. I usually take it out of the fridge and let it warm up for about 15-20 minutes, unless I'm feeding Chuffers from my plate (chicken or turkey burger) then he gets it whatever temp it is, but never too hot!
heating food
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:10 pm
by aggiegirl
I don't heat our food but sometimes I serve meat while it is still slightly warm---they always prefer this. Most of the veggies and fruit I give are from the fridge so they rarely have room temp veggies. I have noticed that Pele' tends to wait to eat but Charlotte always eats hers immediately---obviously cold food temps don't affect her appetite. Pele' was the same way when he was younger. Crazy, ravenous young skinkies!!!!

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:57 pm
by Jenn
My guys eat their food however I put it in.
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:06 pm
by Phantom
Rodney doesn't care if its cold or not. I try to warm it up usually. I would think that warm/room temperature food is easier to digest that cold food.
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:23 pm
by Tattoo
I usually try to make sure Tattoo's food is room temp before giving it to her.
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:24 pm
by evil pixie
I freeze cooked chicken pieces, so those are warmed up, but generally, if it's just a salad-mixture, i have everything at room temp. I try not to feed anything cold.
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:02 am
by Leigh
If I dont feed him early{pre lights on} I like to let it warm up a bit.I'm paranoid that if he for once decided to neck loads of cold food, his stomach temp would drop below 60F which can kill the digestive bacteria{tell me if I'm wrong}
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:52 am
by megaabel
if i keep left overs for one day... I always pop it in the microwave for like 10 secs.. so that it kills the cold instantly. But never hot. I feel like cold off the fridge would be painful... and Leigh explained my paranoia completely.. .thanks Leigh!
I never really keep left overs though... i am sort of a fresh serving everyday... its fun to feed him
So I always make new daily servings. Watson is little so he doesn't eat very much off his giant lid.
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 am
by mom22wins
I'm paranoid that if he for once decided to neck loads of cold food, his stomach temp would drop below 60F which can kill the digestive bacteria{tell me if I'm wrong}
_________________
Good point, Leah. Never thought of that. I usually let Sammy's food set out a little while before giving it to her. Although, raspberries and blueberries are straight out of the fridge. Maybe I should let them warm up too...
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:00 pm
by Zach
mom22wins wrote:I'm paranoid that if he for once decided to neck loads of cold food, his stomach temp would drop below 60F which can kill the digestive bacteria{tell me if I'm wrong}
_________________
Good point, Leah. Never thought of that. I usually let Sammy's food set out a little while before giving it to her. Although, raspberries and blueberries are straight out of the fridge. Maybe I should let them warm up too...
I've seen the cold food deter the blueys in the past, so we always let it warm up on the counter a little. If you have a thick pile, we spread it flat on the plate so it warms quicker, otherwise the center is still ice cold.
If they WILL eat it, hot or cold, there's no danger just as long as they have the ability to bask at meal's end! Berries are just fine straight out of the fridge.
