Page 1 of 1

Basking time

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:33 pm
by Drew
i have been basking my BTS in direct sunlight every morning probably 15-20 mins. is this ok?

should i let them bask more?

i really wish those repti-sun, reptile bulbs are available here! shucks!

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:34 pm
by russman
Real sunlight is way better than artificial sunlight. Keep it up!

Drew Watson takes the sun in allright

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:45 pm
by megaabel
Watson likes taking the sun outside too... he likes it by the pool: )

Image

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:06 pm
by Lisa
Bask him as often as you can, and for as long as you can. I mean, you don't have to bask him all day, they don't even do that in the wild, but a couple of hours every day or as often as you can manage it - even only once a week - would be great :thumbs:

You don't even need direct sunlight. Even on cloudy days there's still enough UV out there.

Abel, I'm guessing you've entered you pic for this month's contest? :wink: :lol:

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:28 pm
by Drew
oh great lisa!
im thinking of constructing a wire cage for them so i can leave them in the garage while im taking a bath everyday. it gets pretty sunnny here. :D
im thinking its ginna be wire cage, with a divider. then probably im just gonna put a shade at the middle so they can escape the sun. thanks!

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:59 pm
by Fatal_S
I wish I could keep taking mine outside :( It's too cold to have them outside for more than a few minutes now, and it'll only get worse. Abel, I love the picture.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:56 pm
by Lisa
Fatal_S wrote:I wish I could keep taking mine outside :( It's too cold to have them outside for more than a few minutes now, and it'll only get worse. Abel, I love the picture.


Yeah, winter's a biatcha. Lucky for us it's spring, but already feels like summer :ohyes: :nanny:
I hate the cold.

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:30 pm
by Fatal_S
In Winnipeg, we get bad winters, and they're soooo long. Next spring as soon as we lose the snow I'll be working on an outdoor pit so my guys can get as much outside time as possible. The neighborhood kids also love when I am able to take them out. The pit will still be supervised, but at least they'll have an enclosed area where I don't have to worry bout letting them wander in the sun.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:41 pm
by Zach
russman wrote:Real sunlight is way better than artificial sunlight. Keep it up!



Yeah, it's a wonderful thing to do!

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:15 pm
by SailleSkinklover
I Love the sunbathing Watson, that is soooo cute!!
It has gotten too cold and dreary to take my guy outside too. An outdoor pit sounds like a great project for Spring though!

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:52 pm
by Drew
thanks guys! its been weird here lately, sunnny in the morning and rain in the afternoon and evening but still gets pretty warm!
lovely Tropical weather :D

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:02 am
by Jenn
This past summer my guys were outside for 3-4 hours at a time. The weather has finally gotten cold (after setting a few records for Oct!) so there's no more sunlight for them until Spring. :cry2: I always love winter because it means lots of Jubby and crew shots but it always makes me sad because all my guys are sleeping the winter away!

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:40 am
by Drew
do you just leave them outside for 3-4 hours everyday?

any outdoor enclosure?

i was thinking to get them a wire cage, for them to be kept in when basking outside, and would just put a towel on half of the top to have a little shade. would this be ok?

im basking them atleast 15min everday, i hope its ok

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:33 am
by Jenn
This summer I made an outdoor pit. It's about 8ft by 8ft and 1 1/2ft high. It had two small ponds, plants and hides. I'd rotate them between that and their cages. One pair would go in the morning, another in the middle of the day and another in the afternoon. Depending whose turn it was depending what time of the day went out but they'd be out there for a least 3 hours.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:40 pm
by Drew
great! how i wish i have room for an outdoor pit!
nice idea. i guess id be improvising, basking them and keeping them first in wire cages if they are outside. :D

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:36 pm
by Zach
Jenn wrote:This summer I made an outdoor pit. It's about 8ft by 8ft and 1 1/2ft high. It had two small ponds, plants and hides. I'd rotate them between that and their cages. One pair would go in the morning, another in the middle of the day and another in the afternoon. Depending whose turn it was depending what time of the day went out but they'd be out there for a least 3 hours.



I can't believe you were finally able to do it; you had talked about it forever!