Page 1 of 1
UVB Recommendations
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:15 pm
by mom22wins
Could those of you who are seasoned bluey owners please tell me what UVB lights you have found to be safe and effective? I am looking to replace the bulb I have.
FYI: I do not have the long hood for a flourescent light. I use the dome lights on the top of my enclosure. Therefore, the bulb I'd need would be more like a regular light bulb size rather than the long kind.
Any suggestions would be great...

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:18 pm
by Steve
reptileuv.com
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:30 pm
by Jenn
To be honest I don't use a UVB bulb. I use to use the reptisun bulbs but they were forever burning out in way less time then they were suppose to. I stopped using the UVB light because from May-Sept (sometimes as early as April and as late as October) my guys are outide for extended periods of time, multiple times a week. Then from about Nov.- March they are cooling, buried deep under their substrate, inside of a hide, where the UVB light can't reach them.
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:06 pm
by mom22wins
That makes sense Jenn.
Hey Steve, what thoughts do you have on the Mega-Ray EB 60 watt Flood UVB Lamp Kit? And what exactly is the "kit"? All I need is a bulb...
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:21 pm
by Hijinks
Up until a week ago I used the Arcadia D3 compact and had no problems (then I upgraded to a 36" tube). UV Guide UK has tests on it -- the output is relatively high and it doesn't have the weird wavelength issues of the ZooMed compacts:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/compactlamps.htm
It is manufactured in the UK, and so I only found a couple places online that sell them. I bought from here:
http://www.beanfarm.com/store/agora.cgi ... nt%20Bulbs
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:38 pm
by Steve
The EB has an external ballast... you do need the kit. It's great, it has a single filament as opposed to most MV bulbs that have two filaments, so it doesn't produce much heat (in comparison to a normal 60watt bulb). It allows a lot more flexibility.
All the reptileuv bulbs are the best on the market, and if you have any questions/concerns about your specific application you can email them and they absolutely will help guide you.
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:59 pm
by Tyler
I don't use a UVB light either. I supplement his food about every other feeding.
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:00 pm
by Pink T. Monkey
Jenn wrote:To be honest I don't use a UVB bulb. I use to use the reptisun bulbs but they were forever burning out in way less time then they were suppose to. I stopped using the UVB light because from May-Sept (sometimes as early as April and as late as October) my guys are outide for extended periods of time, multiple times a week. Then from about Nov.- March they are cooling, buried deep under their substrate, inside of a hide, where the UVB light can't reach them.
I share Jenn's rational and practice here. My skinks also get lots of natural UVB exposure April through October so I don't bother with UVB light bulbs. During brumation they are not always hidden, actually the males are often out under their flourescent lights where it is abit warmer, but because they are brumating and have a slow metabolism I would think that UVB isn't important.
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:52 pm
by Tattoo
I use the ReptiSun5.0
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 am
by Leigh
each to his own ,but I prefer tubes.Repti 8.0 or 10.0
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:15 am
by mom22wins
Wow, lot's of info. Thanks guys! Let me ask those of you who get outside with your blueys. Do you have outdoor enclosures or do you find time to supervise them yourself? I'd definitely need to build an outdoor enclosure (next summer). That way she'd have more time to be outside.
I think I'm going to look more into this Mercury Vapor bulb thing. I know some of you on the forum have a different opinion of them. Please feel free to share it. I'm sure everyone here can handle a little diversity in opinion. We're all friends here, right? The more info I can get the better decision I can make for my bluey.
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:43 am
by Leigh
In England the ground temp only gets hot enough in the middle of summer{not at all this year}actually sat in the sun was warm, as soon as you went into the shade it was cold, I sit on the ground with Blue on my lap at first, then I follow him around as he investigates, mainly to stop him going awol, but he tends to hide in the shrubs with no light getting through so its too cold for him as far as I'm concerned. You must be confident in your pit and weather to allow unsupervised out door time.
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:02 am
by Usersafe
The Steve's concur, reptileuv makes some of the best MVB bulbs out there and they are well worth the money compared to other brands.
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:19 pm
by Zach
Pink T. Monkey wrote:Jenn wrote:To be honest I don't use a UVB bulb. I use to use the reptisun bulbs but they were forever burning out in way less time then they were suppose to. I stopped using the UVB light because from May-Sept (sometimes as early as April and as late as October) my guys are outide for extended periods of time, multiple times a week. Then from about Nov.- March they are cooling, buried deep under their substrate, inside of a hide, where the UVB light can't reach them.
I share Jenn's rational and practice here. My skinks also get lots of natural UVB exposure April through October so I don't bother with UVB light bulbs. During brumation they are not always hidden, actually the males are often out under their flourescent lights where it is abit warmer, but because they are brumating and have a slow metabolism I would think that UVB isn't important.
I do as well. We lower lights and halt feedings in winter, and in summer, they're outside everyday...
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:29 pm
by Lisa
mom22wins wrote:Wow, lot's of info. Thanks guys! Let me ask those of you who get outside with your blueys. Do you have outdoor enclosures or do you find time to supervise them yourself?
I supervise. I never have a problem finding a couple of hours to sit in the sun with a book in one hand, a glass of bundy in the other, the cricket on the radio, and a lizard or two on the ground!
Remember, they don't have to be outside all day. In the wild they bask in the morning and in the afternoons. In between times they go to ground to forage or kip. So a couple of hours once a week, or as often as you can manage it is going to enhance any UV bulb you can buy in the shop.
Do you have daylight savngs there? Like, does it stay light till 8 or so at night in summer? When I used to work 9-5 I found it a good stress relief after being indoors all day to come home and sit outside for an hour or so with mine. I know not everyone can find the time in the day for such things but I do it, and make time for it, because I enjoy it, as well as for the wellbeing of my lizards.