Page 1 of 1
Snail Colony? DUW
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:52 pm
by Tattoo
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:02 pm
by Fatal_S
Yay! Great job! I bought some pregnant snails, but mine had the babies inside, and when Pryce at the snail, the babies were all over. I saved several, and put them in my tank. I'd like to start a proper snail colony. Post pictures of the babies when they show up!
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:06 pm
by Tattoo
Will do. Just dawned on me this should have been OT thread. Sorry everyone.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:07 pm
by Fatal_S
It's skink food, it counts. Just to be safe, post a picture of a skink eating a snail.
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:10 pm
by Tattoo
O.K. ... C.Y.A. ...

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:41 pm
by Hijinks
Cool! I would like to do this, if it takes little to no work. Does it? I found a local aquarium shop that will give me their pest snails for free, but those things are so tiny that my skink hardly felt that they were worth the effort. He ate a couple (with great effort) then gave up.
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:07 pm
by Jenn
Lucky!!! I can't wait until they hatch. When I had snails they laid eggs twice but I never got any babies. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.

I finally just gave up and feed the adults snails to the skinks.
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:42 pm
by Tili
are you guys using the aquarium snails from pet stores? Seems like a costly snack...
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:51 pm
by Tattoo
From what I read you need to keep the eggs out of the water and in a humid place. I have a glass top on my aquarium so I am hoping they will hatch. This is my first batch of eggs so beats the heck out of me what will happen. I am thrilled to have arrived at the egg stage.
Hijinks ... I bought some pest free snails, lowered the waterline in my existing tank so they have about 4 inches of headroom and they did the rest.

If you are used to keeping an aquarium it's no big deal. Will keep you all posted.

check out this site
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:23 pm
by aggiegirl
Hey, there is an awesome apple snail forum/site that addresses egg care. I think it is on the skink links but it is easily googled. You are so lucky! I just got a ton of freebies from a lady on craigslist. I have apples and spixies. However, unlike you, I have no eggs!!!! Keep us updated. No need to go OT as we all understand these are bluey food! Lucky you!
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:49 pm
by LittleFoot
Those are neat pictures....I never have snails long enough to have babies, LittleFoot knows when there are snails in the house.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:13 pm
by Tili
where is a good place to get snails for skinks? are ones that are sold for aquariums in pet stores ok?
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:50 pm
by herp boy
For sure i am i am going to set up the 10 gal tank in my room
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:24 am
by Tattoo
Tili wrote:where is a good place to get snails for skinks? are ones that are sold for aquariums in pet stores ok?
Some pet stores offer pest free snails. You just have to check before purchasing.
Littlefoot ... maybe you could disguise the snails to fool your skink? Who would want to eat a snail in drag?

Re: Snail Colony? DUW
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:58 am
by Leigh
Tattoo wrote: Have no clue how that snail could hold so many freakin eggs! :? Looks like the mystery snail colony may be getting off the ground.

Its a mystery to you then,

sorry couldnt stop myself
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:21 pm
by herp boy
What kind are they?
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:36 pm
by Shadowfax
Cool, congrats!! Just a reminder to be careful that no snails or egg material escapes. I'm sure your skink will happily gobble up the adults snails, but if you dispose of any water or anything else from the tank, make sure it is clean of any eggs or baby snails so they cannot find their way to local waterways -- mystery snails are highly invasive and in many states, like mine, illegal to posses because of this (don't worry, I won't tell on you). So as a biologist, doing my duty to make sure you skinks do their doo-dy and gobble them snails up!
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:28 pm
by Zach
Good job!
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:50 am
by Tattoo
Hey Shadowfox,
Wouldn't these snails suffer fatal effects from the cold winter weather in Vermont? Seems like if they were a hazard the pet store would have to slap a warning label of sorts on them when sold. I doubt any will have the joy of escape though. If they hatch they will surely all end up at the mercy of the skink-er-ater.

OMG ... in less than 5 months of skink ownership I have learned to feed my pets to my other pets.

Didn't see that one coming.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:49 pm
by Shadowfax
I'm not sure -- they can certainly survive a freeze. And nope, pet stores do not label species, even if they are illegal unless an enforcement officer cracks them. I wish that were the case for invasive species, plants AND animals -- I can't tell you how many nurseries still sell privet and English ivy, argggh!!

It all depends on how well the state keeps an eye on such things. You can't find 'em in NC in stores, but they are in a few lakes and rivers now -- I've tried to catch some to take home to Maya (hey, he does his part for conservation too

) but no luck yet. I'm sure yours will not get far from a tank though without getting into a skinky belly!