Page 1 of 1

Food digestion and brumation

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:15 am
by Payday1897
I have a question about what food is the easiest to digest. Rutherford has been dug in under his hide for 6 out of the last 7 days. He came out once in the middle there to eat, sunbathe, defecate, and drink. I am curious about what the easiest foods for him to digest are so when he does eat and then go back to bed for a few days he wont get sick or impacted. Thanks.

questions

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:12 am
by aggiegirl
Where do you live, how old is your BT, and what are you doing with your temps? In true brumation, you don't want to feed at all---just water. You should quit feeding about two weeks before you cool them. You might not want to encourage brumation if you have a baby. Give us a few more details. My one year old bluey is trying to brumate for the first time and so I can't help much---but you know someone will help!!!! :wink:

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:04 pm
by Payday1897
Well my guy is about 2, full grown or *darn near it. I haven't done anything to the temperature in his terrarium, but I have reduced the amount of time his lights are on as the days are getting shorter. I live in Michigan and I live in a corner room in my house so it gets coldest there. The temp on the side of his terrarium says 70 at night, (74) is our house temp, and it says 82 or so right now. I use a uvb/uva bulb and a ceramic heat emitter, both in the clamp style spotlight fixtures, resting on top of the mesh top. It is at or above 90 degrees on ground level in the area of the two heat sources. A few months ago the side temp read 90 and It was around 95-100 in the warm area. I have a 36-18-12, and the temp on the cool side is room temp 70-74 all day long. I have not been actively trying to get him to brumate. He is however I believe. Like i said , he has not came out from under his hide, in about 3-4 days and when he did he ate,drank,defecated, and sunbathed for an hour or two. Since then hes been napping. His hide I have to believe is anywhere between 70-80F.

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:37 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
As long as he has access to a basking spot, he will be able to digest just fine. You could offer food once a week, or not at all.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:42 am
by Leigh
Dont worry mate, we've been told by the Aussies that in nature they've been observed to come out and pick at food,bask ,then carry on brumating, and they are all individuals, on thier own little missions.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:34 am
by Tattoo
Leigh wrote:Dont worry mate, we've been told by the Aussies that in nature they've been observed to come out and pick at food,bask ,then carry on brumating, and they are all individuals, on thier own little missions.


Que the music from Mission Impossible ... Enter Tom Cruiskink ... Do Do Doo Doo ... :lol:

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:41 pm
by Payday1897
well he seems to be making a little pattern. He came out today, ate half his food, defecated, drank some water and got some light. It seems he is sleeping for 3 days, coming out on day four and then sleeping for another 3 days. I'm kinda sad though cuz i was at school all day today and missed him. I just saw the mess he left, lol. Oh and on that note, he seems to be digesting his food quite fine.

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:59 pm
by Fatal_S
Trikks seems to be on a 5 days sleep, 1 day out schedule. Still doesn't eat though.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:13 pm
by Payday1897
Well its been 3 days now in a row where Rutherford B. Skink has came out and been very active for a long while. Now I'm confused. He looks healthy and happy though.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:46 pm
by Tattoo
I hear that. I thought Tattoo was heading for the long winter's nap too. For the past three days he is eating and cruising around again. Dang if I can figure it out. I think they like to keep us guessing. :lol: