Page 1 of 1
Corkboard question
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:34 pm
by Payday1897
I always see cork board in pet stores and I was wondering if it was safe for bts. My specific questions are , how can I be sure there are no mites or parasites tagging along for a ride? And weather or not dust and or pieces from them could be harmful if swallowed or inhaled
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:06 pm
by Christi Rose
You mean that stuff you find on bulletin boards?? What would you use it for? If you want to be sure about mites, you can bake it in the oven or freeze it. I'm sure if it was ingested, it wouldn't be a good thing.
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:22 am
by herp boy
Do you mean cork bark?
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:24 am
by Shadowfax

I am confused as well. Are you making a bulletin board for your bluey?

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:07 am
by Payday1897
Haha yes i meant cork bark sorry.
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:55 am
by MartinsPerson
darn, I was hoping that you were making a bulletin board. That'd be so cool. You could hang your bluey's report cards and gold star art work.....
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:43 pm
by Shadowfax
Awww, and extra great poos!

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:10 pm
by Christi Rose
The only thing I've heard cork bark being used for is for aquatic animals. In fact, most turtle owners eventually have to get some.
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:15 pm
by Bird_Brain
Cork bark should be perfectly fine to use for a BTS. If I remember correctly, there was someone that posted pics of their new viv and it had a piece of cork bark in it. If you are worried about mites, then you can always bake it or soak it in a dilute bleach solution and then let it dry out in the sun. I prefer baking personally.
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:44 pm
by Tattoo
How about placing the cork in the freezer for a while to rid it of mites?
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:45 pm
by herp boy
I am brobly even going to get some when i get the budgett's frog so the crickets have some thing to cling onto and get out of the water
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:37 am
by Leigh
Give it a good examination with a magnifying glass first, why would it have mites anyway?
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:18 am
by Christi Rose
It's generally a safety precaution, but I've heard of some people ordering it online and it being loaded with mites when it was delivered. They definitely aren't something you want to mess around with
