Page 1 of 2
Animal reaction to the bts
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:47 pm
by david14
i have a couple cats and i was wonderimng what they would do to the bts when i get one? How wil they reactt to the bts?
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:54 pm
by Tyler
Eat him.
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:31 pm
by david14
are you sure that it would be that fatal
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:36 pm
by evil pixie
my cats just kind of paw at my one skink (they haven't met the other one); however, they are only about 6 months old, so young guys. My dog just sits and watches the skink, it's nice because she always knows where he is, so i can find him.
be careful
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:56 pm
by aggiegirl
I had just gotten my bluey and was holding him in my lap. My kids let our goofy dog out with us. The bluey freaked and threw a whole display---flattened out, tongue flaring, horseshoed his back. It scared the dog (and me!) but it was enough that some animals might have tried to attack. Your bluey (or cat!) would probably not escape without injury if there was a scuffle. I do know some people who let their animals together but I don't know that it is worth it. I've been working with socializing my dog and blueys. They tolerate each other but I don't ever let them too close to one another as my dog is 75# or so. If they bit him (and he is goofy enough that you couldn't blame them), he could easily kill them defensively.

Know your bluey but realize they are less predictable than domesticated animals.
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:53 pm
by yankeefan
I was a wreck and at first my shepherd was very jealous - but now he loves to sit and watch her and Peyton dosen't seem to care at all. I won't let them just hang out, but Justice has sniffed her and has calmed down a lot - just need to give your other animals attention when you have your bts out. Be careful and use common sense, but I think animals are a lot smarter then we give them credit for.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:48 pm
by Tyler
david14 wrote:are you sure that it would be that fatal
Well
Heather wrote:Frank's sister's reaction upon learning that the cat ate Jersey while we were on vacation:
"He ate your lizard? Oh man that's hella crazy!" (laughing the whole time)
Re: Animal reaction to the bts
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:55 pm
by mangodude777
david14 wrote:i have a couple cats and i was wonderimng what they would do to the bts when i get one? How wil they reactt to the bts?
my dogs just stare and so does my cat
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:28 pm
by Shadowfax
My cats are always fascinated by Maya -- of course, by this point, he is big enough that they don't mess with him really. But I would still never leave a skink unsupervised with ANY animal. Even though the most my cats have ever done was touch him with a very gentle paw out of curiosity, I also know my big cat LOVES to chew the tails off of toy mouse and would no doubt relish chewing off Maya's tail given enough time to have a go at it. I love cats but hunting is what they do best! So just don't give them the chance and everyone should get along just fine.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:34 pm
by Brigget
my outside/inside cat is afraid of my reptiles and wont go near them apparently he has encountered some in the wild but my inside cat who has never stayed outside wants to get near them i dont know if he would hurt them i have never trusted him to try but i feel intimidated by him.
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:01 pm
by Fatal_S
IMO: Never trust your pets unsupervised with your BTS. Your cats have instincts, and are still animals, so even if they're friendly for years, you could have a sudden and very nasty attack. Some people have pets that seem to have no hunting instinct and allow the interaction, this is totally at your own risk.
My dog, Pryce, is scared of my lizards, but also curious, especially when the lizards are eating. I only let Snoopy near them if I'm within a foot and ready to grab. However, Snoopy is a coward, so a quick huff from the lizards will send her running. However, she will never be allowed to play with them (her version of play is much too dangerous) or even sniff at them unless I'm right there.
When you get your BTS, let it settle in, then introduce it to your cats while it's in your hand. If the cats behave, reward them. Hopefully they'll sniff it, then get bored. Later allow your BTS to wander around you, and see what the cats do. Reward them for calmly watching or ignoring it. Personally, if Snoopy stays away during my lizard feeding, or just lays around when they're near her, I give her a treat, sometimes the leftover lizard food.
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:13 pm
by herp boy
My cats smell then run away from homer.
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:55 am
by Leigh
My cat sits under Blues tank(its up on top of my Beardies)and if he hears blue move around or pops his head up, he starts wowing and meowing and chattering his teeth( he does this to birds outta the window) I'm not Dr Dollittle, but roughly translated it means, "I'll rip your head off if I catch you,you noisy gits".I had them in seperate arms once(cat and skink) and the cat struggled too much and showed waaaay too much interest in Blue so, never the twain shall meet.
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:03 am
by Christi Rose
I totally agree with Fatal. Your pets don't need to be friends so there's no reason to risk your animals life for it. None of my pets know each other.
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:18 am
by Tattoo
No need in stirring the jealousy pot.

If each pet thinks they are the love of your life mores the better.

Not a good plan with significant others though.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:24 am
by amcurls
I have two cats and a dog which ignore the bts in their tank, one one cat that bats and stares at the male who stares back. Out of the tanks the bts would probably be grabbed by any of the four carnivours. A bt is well within their prey range and I wouldn't tempt fate or nature.
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:27 am
by Brigget
my dusty will try and get on top of the blues cages. I scold him for it. I dont want him even watching them in a predator way.
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:20 pm
by KyleWeiss
My chinchilla has a love/hate relationship with Rollie. She loves watching him crawl around the floor; it gives her yet another excuse to bounce around the cage. However, she barks and screeches if he dares put his nose in the cage bars and the tongue flicks out ...
KW
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:32 pm
by david14
thanks. i know have gooten the news that i cant get one after i have argued because my parents think tghe light will be annoying in my room.they also think i wont be able to keep it warm. balogni. this suck thanks for your help everyone. and oh ya my cat is a big hunter so that hurts to.
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:49 am
by Leigh
david14 wrote:thanks. i know have gooten the news that i cant get one after i have argued because my parents think tghe light will be annoying in my room.they also think i wont be able to keep it warm. balogni. this suck thanks for your help everyone. and oh ya my cat is a big hunter so that hurts to.
How? if you put it on a time clock it will come on and off as set, you can let it come on as an alarm clock in the morning (or not) and it can go out before you go to bed (if thats thier worry),I feel sorry for you, if you cant get one
