Page 1 of 2
Turkey giblets
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:16 pm
by herp boy
Can i use them as food for homer? as long as i boil it? since thanks giving is coming up i thought homer could have a turkey diner lol.
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:20 am
by Leigh
Personally, I'd feed the turkey and not the guts,wait for another answer but I wonder how much goodness is in the liver.
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:45 pm
by Fatal_S
Doesn't the liver of the animal contain the D3 or some othe really good nutrient? I'm trying to remeber from an old thread...
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:59 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
Supposedly, yup.
I actually just fed Dwight an adult mouse that my python didn't want, so I cut it up. The liver is actually a pretty big organ in a mouse, at least an inch long.
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:09 pm
by kman1247
I have had the unpleasant experiance of seeing the hunter (my dog i know, i know not amusing

) kill a mouse and seeing it's (as herp boy would say it) giblets displayed every where.
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:06 pm
by Fatal_S
My snake once attacked one of her F/T mice from the side, and tried to eat it that way. It didn't work, and she just ended up sawing the critter nearly in half. There were inards all over. I had to forcably remove the mouse from her, stupid Cow. I took pictures though ^.^ Totally gruesome.
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:08 pm
by herp boy
lol. ok so can it be baked turky?
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:30 pm
by Fatal_S
I gave my guys turkey for thanksgiving. Pryce and Wocket ate like good pigs, Trikks ran around till I put him away, where he went to sleep.
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:33 am
by Tattoo
No innards please.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:37 pm
by herp boy
ok lol.
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:51 pm
by Zach
I can't imagine it would be a big deal, but who knows what't in those birds.

I wouldn't do it if it were me.
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:01 pm
by Tattoo
The liver and kidneys store and process toxins from antibiotics, hormones and pesticide ridden feeds. If you feed regular supermarket fowl I think you would be asking for trouble. Not to mention the way it stinks up the house when it is cooked.

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:03 pm
by KyleWeiss
I have fed Rollie turkey, beef and chicken hearts.
I doubt it would be harmful to feed, just cook it properly.
Antibiotics and hormones are not "stored," in the liver, they've already been broken down into other compounds. Chicken coming from the United States and Canada show significantly lower pesticide levels overall throughout bi-products and meat than other countries.
Organic fowl keeping practices in some cases are being investigated because of higher than normal toxicities from bacteria infection, because chickens are still kept improperly due to organic regulations.
All in all, you're not "safe," no matter where you go for food, so choose your risk. There are lesser-than evils with food, but unless you raise your own, nothing can guarantee "pure," feeding.
I'm pretty confident I'm not going to kill my skink by feeding certain organs, so I don't worry about spending needless dollars on gimmicky poultry.
KW
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:50 pm
by herp boy
Zach wrote:I can't imagine it would be a big deal, but who knows what't in those birds.

I wouldn't do it if it were me.
Ok lol i wont feed them it. Persionoly i love the inards of the turky
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:20 pm
by Zach
Good post, Kyle. "Gimmick poultry" - I like that!
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:33 am
by DeadEye
Yere there mighty tough little critters , awfully cute to boot ive seen chooks on documentarys pumped full of estrogen and antibiotics .. to make them grow like buzzards ...However saying that they mung our raptor meat down , with chick starter roo meat horse , they eat never see a fussy eater chowing on that , just zap it crack an egg over the roo, and buffelo... and they eat n eat then sleep n sleep ...But my it pick them up
full on all great numbers weigh in every days ,

great 6 , 15 grams up ... they been doing for 40 +50 millon years , we see em rippin up road kill feathers bones fur , anything dead even old dry hide LOL
they are tough n cute
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:51 pm
by kman1247
How many people are gonna give their skinks a thanksgiving feast??? just curiouse
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:00 pm
by LittleFoot
LittleFoot will get a piece of turkey, but thats about it. All veggies i'll be serving will be drenched with either cheese or some other type of sauce/seasoning...its the easiest way to get my kids to eat veggies.

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:57 pm
by mom22wins
I fed Sammy raw chicken livers the other day. Should I be worried? I thought I read it was okay. I mean, some of us feed raw eggs so I figured it couldn't be any more risky than that.
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:47 pm
by Tattoo
There seems to be a wide range of opinions on this one. I guess you have to trust your gut (s).
