Page 1 of 2
What is this?
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:11 pm
by SailleSkinklover
Anyone have a clue what kind of skinker this is?
Its for sale for $10 bucks on Craigslist, including enclosure, (not mentioned what that is, but I assume the skink is in its enclosure in the pic) and it sounds like its a rescue. Any clues?
Advice?
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:20 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
A ten gallon tank is worth ten bucks by itself, I would take it!
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:27 pm
by KyleWeiss
The skink is worth then bucks by itself, I would take it!
KW
(...it looks like it could be a cross, but looks eastern/northern-ish to me... the tail also looks regrown...)
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:28 pm
by SailleSkinklover
I'm seriously thinking about it, but what kind of Skinker is it? It looks like a bluey, but I don't know for sure????
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:25 pm
by Jelot92707
I'd take that deal in a heart beat even if its a cross it could still be a great buddy.I'd just send them a message asking them what they know about it most people on craigslist are pretty nice.Go for it!!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:29 pm
by Steve
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:30 pm
by Tattoo
Odd color.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:33 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
Its not a BTS.
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:10 pm
by Fatal_S
The head does not look BTS to me. I'd get it anyways. Then you can post better pictures to find out. All will work out.
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:06 pm
by kman1247
The eyes and tail do not look like a skinker to me
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:42 pm
by SailleSkinklover
OK, the person is saying they found it injured in the wild, and it gave live birth to 3 babies about 2 1/2 months ago. If it is a Native species to my area, it is likely a Northern Alligator Lizard. (based on looks and where she found it) Gotta go do more research and see if Alligator lizards give live birth.
I'll keep you all updated. . .
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:25 am
by Leigh
What regulations are there for wild caught, dont drop yourself in it, but does look like a nice pet if you can house and feed it with no bother.
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:24 am
by SailleSkinklover
I am 90% sure that this si a Northern Alligator lizard. THey do give live birth and are native to my area. I will likely take her, find out whats best to do from the local wildlife rehab in my area, and then either over-winter her or let her go near where she was found. Either way, she'll be set free, its just a matter of when.
If in the weird off chance that she is not a native species, and I am totally wrong, I'll have a new pet! (I don't think its a good idea to release non-native species in an area! Cane Toads, anybody?)
I'll see her tonight.
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:26 am
by Brigget
what is craigslist???? where do i go to look at that?
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:08 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
I wouldn't let her go.
First, it is illegal in most areas to release a wild animal, native or not.
Also, you never know what diseases she picked up from her previous owners, and an introduction risks letting that disease into the wild population.
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:45 pm
by SailleSkinklover
Nomad, I totally agree, that was my reasoning for contacting a licensed Wildlife Rehab center before doing anything. (I used to do wildlife rehab)
I will also get her thoroughly checked by my Herp vet who also deals with the Native Wildlife. No worries, I certainly don't want to introduce any weird diseases to any native populations.
Brigget, at
www.craigslist.org, you can find some amazing cheap cages/sometimes animals and stuff there. Its like a "free" ebay. Just go to your state/city to find whats in your area. Its how I got ChuffChuff's new big cage fro $80 bucks!

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:52 pm
by KyleWeiss
Did we determine what it was exactly?
KW
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:51 pm
by Blotch
looks like an alligator lizard like you said. Also seems it's tail has had a bit of trauma. grab it, keep it, plead ignorance if you get busted. tell them you rescued it from dogs. you'll be right.
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:05 pm
by mom22wins
I did a search and found some pic's of alligator lizards. Here's the link:
http://kaweahoaks.com/html/alligator_lizard.htm
Very cool of you to take it in and care for it whatever kind of lizard it may be.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:19 pm
by Zach
KyleWeiss wrote:The skink is worth then bucks by itself, I would take it!
KW
(...it looks like it could be a cross, but looks eastern/northern-ish to me... the tail also looks regrown...)
Heh, Kyle is smarter than he thinks -- that's exactly what I thought until I looked at the head. The pattern on the back is very dirty and foggy but it does look like a faint scincoides pattern. It's a strange shot -- it does look much like a BTS until you really look at it.