Page 1 of 1
Pertri Ate
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:56 pm
by Christi Rose
Well, we finally got Petri to eat a good amount of food. I found out through trial and lots of error, that he doesn't like me around when he's trying to eat. If he can see me, even across the room, he won't go near his food. Instead he'll puff up and hiss a bit. So I put together some food for him and had Will feed him. I hid my face behind a big jar and got to see him chow down. I made him a mixture of:
cat food
1 strawberry
1 black berry
2 raspberries
collard greens
mango
acorn squash
butternut squash
He went nuts for it. I went to get my camera but the battery was so dead it wouldn't turn on.

I'll snipe some tomorrow though.
It's so nice to have him eat finally. He's only been nibbling for the last two weeks. I feel like he's really ours now.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:01 pm
by Zach
The cool weather is settling in too, so it might be a continued challenge!
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:58 pm
by Christi Rose

Wonderful. Will agreed that he's the official feeder now, so hopefully that will help some.

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:24 pm
by Zach
Keep the temps us and give him lots of handling and you should have too hard of a time.

Our last baby is still eating, but sleeping pretty much the whole day (Morris) -- he's going to Florida though so it will be a bit warmer there...
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:36 pm
by Christi Rose
I keep his tank toasty during the day and at night Kaa's tank keeps petri's tank warm. Hopefully, that will deter some of his brumating habits.
good grub
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:44 pm
by aggiegirl
Sounds like your bluey is getting some good grub! Glad he is settling in. I remember when I first got my guys that I loved to just sit there and watch them eat. They didn't like it but they finally got accustomed to it. Yours will too.
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:22 am
by Jenn
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:42 pm
by Tattoo
Glad to hear your little one finally got stuck in and ate his grub.

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:02 pm
by Brigget
so he will eat in front of one person but not in front of you?? tell him to quit being a snob

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:46 pm
by Christi Rose

I should. I tried to feed him again today and he wouldn't eat. But as soon as I left the room and my husband took him, he scarfed everything down.
*Edit* Just a quick question, I didn't want to start a new thread about this... how often does everyone clean out their tanks (not spot checking but changing the substrate)?
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:31 pm
by Marie
Glad the little dino is eating! Is Petri a Zach baby? I have a theory that Zach's skinklets are little brats. When I first got Gargy, he was such a snob when it came to food. He would only eat when I held the plate at an angle in front of him. After a few months, I weaned him from that habit.
As for stripping down the tank, I do that after they shed. Otherwise, it's just spot cleaning for me. Of course, babies shed more often than adults. I can't remember how often I cleaned the baby tanks.
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:35 pm
by Christi Rose
Yup he's a Zatchie baby. If you look for him on the sales page, his name is Harry and he's a Pearl and Niko baby.
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:31 am
by Fatal_S
Christi, I used your 'don't be seen' method on Trikks today, and he actually had about 2 bites of food! That's a big deal for me. Thanks ^.^ Oh, and I do my big clean about once every 5-6 weeks, same as my snake.
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:32 pm
by Christi Rose
That's awesome Fatal!! I'm glad that my skinkies snootie-ness paid off.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:31 am
by shingleback aus
good to hear keep up the good work!
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:54 am
by Kya Ajiira
lol so am i the only one that hand feeds her skink XD? each time i get him out and i mix some cat food with veggies and he takes it from my hands or from the spoon or if im not watching we just goes for the can >.>
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:17 am
by Leigh
If you've got a baby blue, you could be making it hard for yourself in the future, they can become too used to you hand feeding and then wont take it from a plate. On the other side of the coin,its good for getting both parties used to one another,and developing that special bond of trust. I did this with Blue ,he loved chomping from a hand held banana, dont do it with chicken,as you might get a finger nibble for your trouble.
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:06 am
by Marie
Ben tried mouth-feeding Gargamel...

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:56 am
by Tattoo