Page 1 of 2

advice about blotchys!

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:26 pm
by shingleback aus
hi, im considering buying a blotched blue toungue, i want to know personalty, diet ect anyone own a blotchy or can give me some advice?
and if they would get along with easterns? :)

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:10 am
by Leigh
There are a number of Blotchy owners and breeders here, you could send a pm to Blotch, Colin Hamilton,Lisa,or Richard to name but a few.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:26 am
by Zach
Yep, and Geoff Gates!

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:30 am
by Richard.C
hi mate,blotchys are similar to easterns with husbandry ,food ect,though blotchys are alot more cold hardy,there personalitys are the best i think,one of the best of the blueys,they can live with easterns,though from experience,the blotchies will dominate the easterns,i find the easterns will always stress,so i keep them seperated

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:45 pm
by Lisa
I think it really depends on the nature of the individual lizard regardless of the sub-species.

My blotchie, Ralphie, is an absolute guts who eats anything, but I know of others who are very picky eaters. Ralphie hates being held but is happy to sit on me or near me. He seems to enjoy the company of other lizards and will seek them out, but for my eastern, the feeling is not mutual. My eastern, Jubby is openly hostile towards Ralphie for some reason but is ok with my shingle. However, Jubby seems to enjoy a cuddle, is much more calm and placid, very laidback. I think he is more intelligent than Ralphie but he is a very fussy eater and is more demanding of my time.

Um, they all have their foibles, so the best thing is to get a good, healthy youngster from a reputable breeder, regardless of sub-species. I got lucky with mine, they are both totally different lizards in both looks and personality, and I wouldn't trade either of them for all the chocolate in the world :lol:

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:24 pm
by shingleback aus
ok cool hopfully ill get one buy christmas. :D

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:12 am
by Leigh
Lisa wrote:I think it really depends on the nature of the individual lizard regardless of the sub-species.

My blotchie, Ralphie, is an absolute guts who eats anything, but I know of others who are very picky eaters. Ralphie hates being held but is happy to sit on me or near me. He seems to enjoy the company of other lizards and will seek them out, but for my eastern, the feeling is not mutual. My eastern, Jubby is openly hostile towards Ralphie for some reason but is ok with my shingle. However, Jubby seems to enjoy a cuddle, is much more calm and placid, very laidback. I think he is more intelligent than Ralphie but he is a very fussy eater and is more demanding of my time.

Um, they all have their foibles, so the best thing is to get a good, healthy youngster from a reputable breeder, regardless of sub-species. I got lucky with mine, they are both totally different lizards in both looks and personality, and I wouldn't trade either of them for all the chocolate in the world :lol:


Mate,thats a MASSIVEstatemant coming from you,are you sure???

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:14 pm
by shingleback aus
what do you mean??

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:49 pm
by Lisa
Leigh wrote:
Lisa wrote:I think it really depends on the nature of the individual lizard regardless of the sub-species.

My blotchie, Ralphie, is an absolute guts who eats anything, but I know of others who are very picky eaters. Ralphie hates being held but is happy to sit on me or near me. He seems to enjoy the company of other lizards and will seek them out, but for my eastern, the feeling is not mutual. My eastern, Jubby is openly hostile towards Ralphie for some reason but is ok with my shingle. However, Jubby seems to enjoy a cuddle, is much more calm and placid, very laidback. I think he is more intelligent than Ralphie but he is a very fussy eater and is more demanding of my time.

Um, they all have their foibles, so the best thing is to get a good, healthy youngster from a reputable breeder, regardless of sub-species. I got lucky with mine, they are both totally different lizards in both looks and personality, and I wouldn't trade either of them for all the chocolate in the world :lol:


Mate,thats a MASSIVEstatemant coming from you,are you sure???


I did have to have a thinky-poo before I wrote it :lol:
And I didn't go so far as saying I wouldn't trade em for booze ... :hehe:

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:45 am
by shingleback aus
lol

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:59 pm
by Fatal_S
Lisa, I got booze, can get mucho more. Up for some bartering?

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:06 am
by Tattoo
Hey Fatal ... are you old enough to buy all that booze? Remember I am well old enough and have credit cards. :twisted: Need some help??? I'm thinking it's gonna take quite a bit of booze to get Lisa to part with those lovelys. :rofl:

Re: advice about blotchys!

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:50 am
by tiliqua
shingleback aus wrote:hi, im considering buying a blotched blue toungue, i want to know personalty, diet ect anyone own a blotchy or can give me some advice?
and if they would get along with easterns? :)


I agree with all Richards comments:-
hi mate,blotchys are similar to easterns with husbandry ,food ect,though blotchys are alot more cold hardy,there personalitys are the best i think,one of the best of the blueys,they can live with easterns,though from experience,the blotchies will dominate the easterns,i find the easterns will always stress,so i keep them seperated

I can only add that as for diet, Blotchies have a particular fondness for fungi and small rodents, that they can very effectively stalk and dispatch with remarkable efficiency. They're also arguably shyer and therefore stay a bit wild and tend to flee when people approach their enclosure when kept outside.
Blotchies tend to be more aggressive as well, especially wild ones that have an extremely rapid and snappy defensive action that make them hard to pick-up.

As for health, Blotchies seem to be more susceptable to ventral necrotic dermatitis (belly scale-rot).
This is largely due to their habit of sleeping in cool and damp leaf-litter, rather than hollow logs etc.


Having said that though, I agree with Lisa's comment that despite these general tendencies
...it really depends on the nature of the individual lizard...

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:57 pm
by Fatal_S
Tattoo, I turned 18 in May ^.^ So yep, old enough to get me some booze. At least in Canada. But I can use all the booze I can get my hands on if I want to convince Lisa.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:47 pm
by Tattoo
:chin: Wonder how you measure the cost of a driveway turd in booze. Ounces? Proof? :lol:

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:30 pm
by Kya Ajiira
okay random question =_=...whats booze? or wateva?

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:32 pm
by Fatal_S
Meh, just give me a little while, and I'll have some turds, with or without the booze. What I'd want more from Lisa is Jubby, my favorite version of Eastern.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:37 pm
by Tattoo
I hear that Fatal. I wouldn't turn my nose up at Jubby either. :drool:

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:42 pm
by Fatal_S
Booze - Alcohol

I'm hoping someone, somewhere outside of Aus has some Easterns like that. I just adore those colors and markings. I like the ones in NA too, but when I think of Eastern, I think of Jubby first.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:48 pm
by Tattoo
How about the eastern on the avatar of Scotts1au? :bugeyes: :lovestruck: :love: That skink sure is the poster child of Eastern beauty. :drool: