Page 1 of 1
Food Question
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:59 pm
by Graniteer
Hello everyone. I just had a quick, odd question. Is tofu alright for BTS'? I figured it'd be a decent compromise between meat and veggies. I checked the care sheet here, but I probably missed it. Any thoughts? Thanks. And also, I want to commend everyone on this forum, it is by far the friendliest and most well-informed of the ones I have been to. So thanks again to everyone.
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:18 pm
by Tattoo
Hmmmm ... good question. I would have never thought of feeding that. It doesn't agree with me so I don't keep it in the house. I wonder if the fermentation process knocks it off the list. Well ... i am just stumped. One of the experts will no doubt add their two cents soon.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:58 pm
by Bird_Brain
I wasnt too sure about this as well. However, I googled tofu toxicity and found some scary articles about the different problems that can be caused by eating soy based products.
The first Paragraph of one of the articles.
Hundreds of epidemiological, clinical and laboratory studies link soy to malnutrition, digestive distress, thyroid dysfunction, cognitive decline, reproductive disorders, cognitive, immune system breakdown, and even heart disease and cancer. Contrary to popular belief that soy is a health food, evidence reveals that soy consumption has been linked to numerous disorders, including infertility, increased cancer and infantile leukemia, Type1 diabetes, and precocious puberty in children have been fed soy formula. (early maturation, such as breast development and menstruation as early as 6 years of age). Scientists have known for years that the isoflavones in soy products can depress thyroid function and cause goiters in otherwise healthy children and adults. A combined research team of Cornell University Medical College and Long Island Community Hospital medical experts have found that children who develop Type1 diabetes are twice as likely to have been fed soy formulas as those fed all other foods This confirms concerns based on animal studies raised in the 1980's and 1990s by Health Canada researcher Dr Fraser Scott and led to the American Academy of Pediatrics issuing their warning to pediatricians against any use of soy based formulas.
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/soy.htm
Now, I dont know how creditable that website is or anything like that, but that is enough to make me start looking more into it before I started to feed it.
wow
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:06 pm
by aggiegirl
I do occasionally feed my blueys soy beans. They are part of a balanced diet and I have never been concerned feeding them. However, I have also heard concerns about the estrogen like substances---which is a concern b/c I have a family history of breast cancer. If anyone has further input about this, I would love to hear it! I've never seen it on the "toxic lists for reptiles" but the estrogen like compounds might be a problem for those of you looking to breed. Interesting....
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:14 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
In general, I feel soy is used way too mcuh in this country. just because it has a complete amino acid profile, does not make it a super food like everyone points it out to be!
I've read tons of info that soy messes with your hormone levels.
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:22 pm
by Lisa
I think it's best to stick to a diet that comes as close to replicating what they eat naturally, such as slow moving grubs and bugs, organics such as vegetables and fruit, the odd bit of meat etc, so I'd give tofu a miss.
I'm biased but, I hate the stuff

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:03 pm
by Graniteer
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan. I get it maybe once a month to use in a stir-fry or something like that. I am a very dedicated carnivore. Just thought it'd be a sneaky way to get him to eat more veggie matter, it sort of looks like chicken in bad lighting.
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:04 am
by Leigh
Tofu= a cube of white poo.
I'd sooner eat pencil erasers,they look the same but taste better
If it doesn't grow naturally,I wouldn't consider it an animal food source
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:46 am
by Drew
Lisa wrote:I think it's best to stick to a diet that comes as close to replicating what they eat naturally, such as slow moving grubs and bugs, organics such as vegetables and fruit, the odd bit of meat etc, so I'd give tofu a miss.
I'm biased but, I hate the stuff

id second.
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:05 am
by shingleback aus
hi, i think id give it a miss its not worth it.
