Paranoia?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Silence
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Paranoia?

Postby Silence » Tue May 31, 2011 6:52 pm

Hello all, I use to post on the forums years back but became busy with school and all so I fell off visiting the website. I am posting this wondering if I am just being paranoid over nothing, I just clipped my northern males nails for the first time since they started getting bad for the first time in the years that I have owned him. Generally his basking slate tile kept them trimmed, there was a little bleeding which I read is normal. The bleeding was very small and I waited about 15 minutes after it stopped to place him back in his cage, you can still see red in his nails and I'm a little worried about them getting infected or something, am i just being paranoid for nothing since i waited for the bleeding to stop? I've just had him for so long and would hate to have something happen to him when I was trying to help him, any information will be helpful thanks!
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Tue May 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Silence, welcome back to the forum!! :D

I'm moving this to the general discussion forum, it will get more replies there.

If the bleeding stopped shortly and there is no sign of infection in the toes (swelling etc) then I wouldn't worry at all. The cuticle can grow down and bleed a bit when trimmed. If you see any sign of infection / puffiness in the toes or soreness then check out the toe loss thread and maybe give some lukewarm baths with epsom salts etc. But if the only cause for concern is a little bit of dried blood, then I'd leave him - they have pretty good immune systems and heal quite well on their own!

Welcome back, good to see you posting again! How old is your Northern? Any pics? :)
Silence
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Silence » Tue May 31, 2011 9:18 pm

My only concern was just him being in his cage after the nails being trimmed but again I waited 15min after the bleeding stopped to place him back in. I have had him for about 8 years now and I bought him off Ray which was his last northern of that season. He was originally thought to be female but I discovered the opposite lol. Also he was about full grown when he got to my house so he is probably close to 9 years old still with a big attitude.
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Tue May 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Wow - 9 years is pretty old, that is great! Not many people on here (other than those like Ray) have had blueys longer than that. :) It sounds like you did everything right, so I'd just monitor - if you don't have any cause for concern in future then I'm sure it is fine. They are pretty tough and can handle a lot of scrapes and scratches during breeding for example - so I'm pretty sure the toes will be just fine.

I'd love to see pictures of him if you have any. :D
Silence
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Silence » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:07 pm

I sadly don't have any pictures of him anymore. My old computer had them all and the hard drive died so my pictures went with it. It bums me out because I had a really good one of him curled up sleeping in my hoodie pocket with his head poked out.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”