Page 1 of 1
Hey, new skink owner, stressed about feeding
Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:55 am
by Tristan179
Hi! I just recently picked up an axanthic blue tongued skink, she’s about 2 months old and I’ve had her a little over a week, I’ve been told to offer her food daily and so I’ve been doing so but today will be day 3 of her hiding under her log. She hasn’t been coming out for food and the thought of her going a third day without eating is stressful, I’m wondering should I handle her and try to feed her from my hand? That way she also can try to adjust to being handled a bit, or just let her hide and do her thing. Another thing that concerned me is she has been hiding on the colder side, so I’m a bit stressed about feeding her because of that as well because I know their digestive system slows down and I don’t want her to get sick. Just stressed about doing everything right is all, any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Re: Hey, new skink owner, stressed about feeding
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:44 am
by rixusaku
New skinks that have just been brought home, especially young ones, can go up to two weeks without eating. A new home is stressful for them. This is completely normal behavior and your skink will be fine. Continue to offer food daily and eventually, when they feel safe and comfortable enough, they'll come out to eat. Dont try to force them or bug them too much before that. You can leave their food alone in the enclosure for up to 4 hours before you need to take out any uneaten food (as long as the food isn't alive* )
However, if they still haven't eaten after two weeks, I would bring them to an exotic vet to make sure illness isn't the cause of them not eating.
Re: Hey, new skink owner, stressed about feeding
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:54 am
by rixusaku
Also, what is your setup? We need to make sure it's not temperatures being too low or the wrong humidity levels that are making them not eat. Knowing what type of substrate you have them on and how deep it is can also help.
Re: Hey, new skink owner, stressed about feeding
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:57 am
by splashy07
Please post a picture, I'm assuming it's an axanthic halmahera?
If so, halms need very high humidity and a basking area of 95+
Re: Hey, new skink owner, stressed about feeding
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:03 am
by rixusaku
I'm pretty sure halms are the only ones that can be axanthic?
Re: Hey, new skink owner, stressed about feeding
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 am
by splashy07
No, I have an axanthic Eastern.
Re: Hey, new skink owner, stressed about feeding
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:25 am
by rixusaku
Oh! Well thank you, I thought they were only halms.