Page 1 of 1

I think I found the problem

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:55 am
by Y33T
After giving Bajo showers every night, stuck shed from his nostrils came off, he was sneezing a LOT immediately afterwards. I took a close inspection of the shed and it appeared they had completely blocked both his nostrils. Does having a blocked nose cause RI-like symptoms? And the cause of his eyes issues? I read an article with watery/irritated eyes in bearded dragons it says that a clogged nose causes an overproduction of tears making the eyes very watery and irritated. Is this also true in blue tongues?

I’ll give an update in a few days to see if he stopped closing his eyes.

Re: I think I found the problem

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:58 am
by Janella
Awe poor guy. The nose, eyes, and throat are all connected and it possibly could have a caused the issue. Poor guy. Hopefully he feels better soon.

Re: I think I found the problem

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:07 pm
by Y33T
Thanks, I feel bad now that I haven’t noticed it sooner and putting him through all these treatments. Do you know how long it takes for him to go back to normal? He still has his eyes closed though it’s not been 24 hours.

Re: I think I found the problem

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:43 am
by Y33T
Update: Fed him yesterday and for the first time in a while, the food bowl is empty! Looks like his appetite is back to normal. I think one of his eyes are starting to open more, not sure if it’s going to be normal just yet, though he still keeps his other eye closed and was very watery. I put him back on loose substrate and rearranged his enclosure, having rocks spread out, give him some more rough surfaces to help rub his eyes.

Re: I think I found the problem

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:46 pm
by Janella
Hi there, I am glad your skink is starting to eat. It can take them a little while to bounce back after being sick. If he continues to have issues with his eyes, I would suggest having him checked again.

Re: I think I found the problem

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:55 am
by Y33T
I’ll keep that in mind, thanks. His eyes are both open a bit more now, though one eye sometimes stays closed but don’t look as watery as it was yesterday.

Re: I think I found the problem

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:28 am
by Janella
Sounds good. I also would make sure to keep the heat bumped up just a bit till he fully recovered.