Enclosure height based on behavior
Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:34 pm
I'm looking to upgrade my girl's enclosure from the 40 gallon breeder that she's currently in. I'm planning on 2'x4' (61cmx122cm) of floor space but I'm not sure about the height. In an attempt to determine the appropriate height I have two questions:
Question #1 - Will blueys actually burrow if given the opportunity? Jean only has about 4" (10cm) of substrate so she can't form an actual tunnel, but of course she likes to dig in it sometimes. I'm happy to give her more if she's likely to use it, but if she's just as happy with this depth then I don't really see any reason to change it.
Question #2 - How much do your skinks climb? I know that as a species they're semi-fossorial, and therefore would presumably climb as little as possible. But when she's not being a potato Jean likes to climb on the half log in her tank, tries to climb up the sides, and has even done her best to climb some of the sturdier plants I've had in there (it's bioactive. And don't worry, I make sure any plants I put in are safe). But she's almost two years old, and she did all of this more when she was younger - is it something they only do when they're smaller/lighter?
Thanks in advance!
Question #1 - Will blueys actually burrow if given the opportunity? Jean only has about 4" (10cm) of substrate so she can't form an actual tunnel, but of course she likes to dig in it sometimes. I'm happy to give her more if she's likely to use it, but if she's just as happy with this depth then I don't really see any reason to change it.
Question #2 - How much do your skinks climb? I know that as a species they're semi-fossorial, and therefore would presumably climb as little as possible. But when she's not being a potato Jean likes to climb on the half log in her tank, tries to climb up the sides, and has even done her best to climb some of the sturdier plants I've had in there (it's bioactive. And don't worry, I make sure any plants I put in are safe). But she's almost two years old, and she did all of this more when she was younger - is it something they only do when they're smaller/lighter?
Thanks in advance!