Page 1 of 1

Chosen basking area?

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:29 am
by Shorty1212
Just curious if anyone else noticed that their skink likes to bask on the substrate versus using a stone/rock/brick/wood etc. I’ve ruled out surface temperatures being to hot therefore he’s not using it and staying on the substrate. Tried many different basking bulbs to see if I make the basking area really big by using a br40 flood light which provides a really wide diameter of basking heat and I setup one over the substrate and one over a large flat stone of all different types( slate, paver stones, river rock and different types of wood) (I’ve got 3 recessed light fixture installed on top of the enclosure so I can have several options to accommodate for seasonal temperature changes) and he always chooses a spot in the substrate to bask? I’m a little OCD I know and if that’s what he chooses I’m good with it but I was just curious if anyone had any ideas.

Re: Chosen basking area?

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:48 am
by splashy07
To be honest, mine rarely bask at all with the exception of gestating females. Maybe once in a while when coming out of brumation or after a chilly night but that's about it. So I wouldn't worry much where yours chooses to do so.

Re: Chosen basking area?

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:10 am
by Shorty1212
Yeah I’ve found as long as I have two 65 watt regular incandescent bulbs going the surface temps are in the high 90’s low 100’s but ambient temps are high enough that he just chills somewhere on the hot side and he’s eating and pooping every day like clock work at the same time so he must know what he’s doing lol. Thanks again