Page 1 of 1

I think my Northern has mouth rot, is this safe to use on it?

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:57 am
by FantasticBeasts0404
My Northern has a spot on her jaw that's starting to look like mouth rot. It started as just a spot that shed got stuck on, and I'd always make sure to take care of it. She's acting normally and eating just fine. I'm just worried about it because it bleeds occasionally and I don't want it to become a big issue. I have some topical antibiotic cream that was given to me by my vet for my ball Python when she had some scabbed over burns from her heating pad (she burrowed herself down into the substrate too close to her heating pad, the issue has been solved). I was wondering if it was safe to use on her mouth. I've included pictures of the supposed mouth rot and the topical cream.
DDDDA864-996F-4923-B928-735B5C977CB7.jpeg
9385602A-594D-4AB5-9916-FB72A513C117.jpeg

Re: I think my Northern has mouth rot, is this safe to use on it?

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:42 pm
by rixusaku
I would rather you take your skink to an exotic vet before trying to do self-treating. Mouth rot can be serious and lethal if taken care of poorly, and an expert is going to give you exactly what you need and how to use it. I've never personally seen mouth rot, so I can't say for sure what it is, but it does look like the scales are peeling away from the gum line which isn't good either way. Good luck!

Re: I think my Northern has mouth rot, is this safe to use on it?

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:55 pm
by Y33T
I think the silverdene cream is ok from what I heard. Though I definitely recommend contacting your vet for advice before trying anything.