Page 1 of 1

Activity Boost in the evening

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:33 am
by DracoDussumieri
Hello,

several times i have observed that , once the lights turn off, my skink gets really active. He starts to flick his tongue a lot, often with his head raised. He then starts to roam the enclosure. First, I thought that he was foraging but he shows little interest in food or life insects. This is also the only time I observed him to rub his head against the glass of the enclosure. He also tries to climb the walls. I figured he wants to come out, so i opened the enclosure. Till now he only left the enclosure once during this active time. But it seems like a good time to take him out of the enclosure, he was curious, not afraid as far as I can tell.

Have you observed similar behavior? Do u you think i should use this behavior to tame it more and to bond with it more? I usually try to avoid disturbing my skink when it is hiding. When it is basking it runs away if i try to take him out so i also dont do that because it seems like a lot of stress for the skink.

Re: Activity Boost in the evening

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:09 pm
by bartholemew
I've had Bart for 2 years now and till this day the moment the lights are out he is up and about. Bart also glass surfs (climbing up the wall) while glass surfing he will rub his nose against the glass. Skinks glass surf for many reasons: for food, attention, wanting out and some just do it because they can. So this is nothing to worry about just make sure he/she isn't hurting himself in the process as Bart will sometimes rip off his nose scales by rubbing his face on the glass and has broken his toe glass surfing. How I bonded with Bart is just by giving him space. I get him out only when he wants and when he's out I try to leave him alone unless he wants attention which is practically the whole time. So my advice is just to give it time and trust that he/she will come around in their own time. hope this helped.

Re: Activity Boost in the evening

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:51 am
by splashy07
Could be male seasonal behavior. During breeding season they can be restless at all hours. Mine are currently driving me crazy, especially the ones I am not allowing to breed this year.