Page 1 of 1

When to handle new skink?

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:10 am
by lilykins89
I'm the new first time owner of a two y.o. female Indonesian BTS (Nessie), and I'm wondering when a good time to begin handling her would be, and how does one know that you've bonded enough with her to begin the handling process (without traumatizing her)? Nessie was a surrender to the reptile store I got her from, so other than her being female and 2 I don't know her history etc. Though, at the store after some hissing (who likes to be awoken by having their hide yanked from on top of them?) was totally chill being handled and being passed from employee to me and back. I've had her for 4 days (waiting a minimum of 7 to handle), but when she's awake and out from one of her hides has no qualms about chilling /basking/ being her derpy self by her open enclosure door with me talking to her, or taking food from me via feeding tweezers. So things seem like they are moving in a good direction.
Anything else I should do prior to begin holding? Thanks!
Oh, and here's my new cutie, Nessie.

Re: When to handle new skink?

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:03 pm
by Janella
Hi there. Nessie is very cute. I would recommend continuing to take things nice and slow and after a week go a head and gently try to handle her. Remember they like their full bodies being supported. In between handling keep feeding her and offering treats. Also talking to her will help as well. Good luck!

Re: When to handle new skink?

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:55 am
by NickN
I had a similar question having given a 3 year old Northern a new home at the weekend: but Munchkin the skink answered it for me, when I went to change his water yesterday, by coming over and crawling onto my hand then arm... :lol:
And today he's wolfed down a mix of vegetables, dog food and watercress.
Guess he's happy.