Page 1 of 1

Good tank?

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:53 pm
by GCtheamazing
Hello everyone! Today I cleaned out my tank and added some new decor. Do you think this is a sutible tank for a 8 month old blotched bluey? Any suggestions to make it better?

Re: Good tank?

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:09 am
by Dx3
There should definitely be some foliage on the ground for them to crawl over, under, around, and through. They get nothing from having it stuck to the wall like art. They look comfortable already though, but I’m sure they’d enjoy it. Other than that I think it looks good. Make sure the big objects are fully buried so they can’t get themselves stuck and or crushed under it when they burrow.

Re: Good tank?

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:23 am
by Y33T
I agree with Dx3 on moving foliage to the ground for the skink to fully utilise them.
I’d also highly recommend moving the water dish to the cool end of the enclosure away from the heat lamp. It causes water to evaporate quickly and release a lot of humidity, for a dry climate species like blotchies it’s not good.
Another thing is to change out the red light for a normal basking light. Red lights are unnatural, it restricts colour variety and can cause stress and strain to the eyes. They’re not good as “night lights” either because they do disturb the skink at night messing with their sleep schedule, nighttime heating isn’t needed unless you live in the Arctic. It’s not too urgent since it’s not the worst thing in the world, you can always just wait until it burns out until you get a better globe.