Strange looking urates with reddish streaks (images included)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Pirina
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:59 am
Country: USA
Location: Nashua

Strange looking urates with reddish streaks (images included)

Postby Pirina » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:24 pm

I have a Northern skink that is about 2 years old. I got my skink from a reputable breeder. I don't know for sure if he's male, but he's been a bit more restless than usual recently, always wanting to come out. I saw something that looked like sperm plugs recently from him. Ever since the temperatures have gone up in my area about a month ago he doesn't seem that interested in food, he only eats a small amount of his favourite snacks once a week. I assume that this is normal for a male approaching sexual maturity. Overall, he looks healthy and is active and inquisitive. The only thing that concerns me is the appearance of his urates. He has had multiple urates in a row with a weird oraney red tinge. Initially I assumed that he might be dehydrated since he's not eating or drinking much these days. I'd be surprised if those were calcium/vitamin D deposits considering how little he eats. He doesn't look like he's losing any weight, although now I think i should probably start weighing him regularly. Does this look concerning to you? Does this warrant a vet visit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is how the urates look:
Image

Temps: warm hide: 100, basking spot: 115 (he never basks), cold side: about 70. Humidity: maintained around 50% with a mistking system. Haven't had this issue prior to a month or two ago.
User avatar
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
Country: USA
Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY

Re: Strange looking urates with reddish streaks (images included)

Postby splashy07 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:02 am

Nothing to worry about. Urates can look different at times when not much food is being consumed. I have breeder males that have not eaten much of anything since October, and some still not.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests