Liquid medication keeps breaking syringes PLEASE HELP!
Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:57 am
So my little 3 and 1/2 year old male northern bts, Paarthurnax is on 2 types of liquid medication. They gave me 2 small syringes for each bottle. Also the vet is closed today so that’s why I’m asking you guys on here. Plus you might have better more creative answers
But one of his medications is
Hepasil- VetOmega Liver supplement
It’s a liquid mixed with a THICK GRAINY substance. You can’t shake it or it’ll mess with the strength of the medication. You have to either roll the bottle slow in your hands or stir it with something. I’ve been using a chop stick to stir it up cause it’s faster and easier. When it’s all mixed up I take the syringe and slowly fill it up. Then I get out bubbles and try to line it up with the line telling me how much I need to give him. Within literally 1 second, the medication IMMEDIATELY begins to separate and the thick grainy stuff gets stuck in the syringe not allowing me to get the air out it and line up the right amount of meds, and when I have gotten it right, I can’t never push the full amount into his mouth cause it clogs up so fast! I try my best to push it out and start over but then I can’t pull the plunger back without the plastic part separating from the squishy black stopper. I don’t know what to do. I’m so frustrated and anxious cause I want my baby to get better. I’ve used 3 out of the 4 syringes they gave me. The 4th I’m trying to keep for the other medication so I don’t want to mess that up too.
I’ve tried running the syringe under hot water, I’ve tried using something small to push the black part back up the syringe. I’ve tried a lot and nothing is working… I have to give my baby this medicine TWICE a day. He hasn’t gotten it yet this morning and I’m so defeated and frustrated. Please guys, any advice would be truly helpful.
Hepasil- VetOmega Liver supplement
It’s a liquid mixed with a THICK GRAINY substance. You can’t shake it or it’ll mess with the strength of the medication. You have to either roll the bottle slow in your hands or stir it with something. I’ve been using a chop stick to stir it up cause it’s faster and easier. When it’s all mixed up I take the syringe and slowly fill it up. Then I get out bubbles and try to line it up with the line telling me how much I need to give him. Within literally 1 second, the medication IMMEDIATELY begins to separate and the thick grainy stuff gets stuck in the syringe not allowing me to get the air out it and line up the right amount of meds, and when I have gotten it right, I can’t never push the full amount into his mouth cause it clogs up so fast! I try my best to push it out and start over but then I can’t pull the plunger back without the plastic part separating from the squishy black stopper. I don’t know what to do. I’m so frustrated and anxious cause I want my baby to get better. I’ve used 3 out of the 4 syringes they gave me. The 4th I’m trying to keep for the other medication so I don’t want to mess that up too.
I’ve tried running the syringe under hot water, I’ve tried using something small to push the black part back up the syringe. I’ve tried a lot and nothing is working… I have to give my baby this medicine TWICE a day. He hasn’t gotten it yet this morning and I’m so defeated and frustrated. Please guys, any advice would be truly helpful.