Page 1 of 1

Underweight skink

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2025 6:01 pm
by gogoat
So I’ve had my northern blue tongue skink for about four months now. I’ll admit she’s my first ever reptile, so I’m really on edge about her being cared for properly. I’ve looked at some charts online as well as pictures of other blue tongues and now I’m really scared that she is underweight. Her previous owner’s gave her up so I’m not even sure how old she is, though I assume she’s almost fully grown (17 inches long). I’m not sure if I’m overreacting, but she just looks quite skinny. I can’t see or feel any bones jutting out, but I just feel like I’m neglecting her in some way.

She eats about twice a week, usually a blend of either spinach or some other leafy green with some fruit and vegetables with cat food. I’m not a huge fan of the cat food, but she’s a picky eater, unless it’s earthworms. She won’t go for mealworms and crickets don’t really seem to intrigue her.

Btw I got her out quick just for this picture, I try not to have her on the carpeted floors lol.