Page 1 of 2

terrarium decoration: creating a lavastone effect with PUR

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:11 am
by springNRG
***RESURRECTED THREAD***


Hi all,

Over the past few months I received a couple of questions about how I made the back of my terarrium look lavastonish.
Image
My terrarium

I made some promisses to post it on the forum, so finally I did. Before reading this I must say that the method used: PUR-foam, takes up a lot of space, so you shouldn't use this in an allready small cage.

Image
http://www.pondpetsusa.com/miscellaneou ... _foam.html
This is the kind of foam I used, though it wasn't black & it wasn't bought at a pond-store but a DIY (do it yourself) store, which is probably cheaper and just as well.

Image
This is what PUR-foam looks like from the inside.

The trick is to spray paint it when it's still wet to give it a lava-stone like texture. After it is all dried up I spray painted it to cover the PUR-foam and give it a more realistic color. The first step (spray painting it when it's still wet) should be tried with a small sample on a piece of cardboard a few times until you're satisfied with the result. Pur-foam expands a lot. So you only know the result when it's dry. I found that it doesn't need a full coverage of spray paint to give it a fine result.
Two examples:
Image
The best I could get

Image
Bad

You can see in the second example it almost has a smooth surface. I used too little spraypaint on it.

For the final spray painting I used two different colors, a dark and a light brown. I first used the darker color to cover every crook and every hole. After this dried up I slightly used the lighter spray paint to highlight. This creates a darker shade for the cracks and holes in the 'lavastone'.
It is important to cover all foam with paint, because feeder animals will feed on the foam if you don't. When this gets out of hand they might even get inside the foam.

What I really like about the PUR-foam is that one can also stick things in it like i did with this branch to make it more real:
Image
wooden branch

When purfoam is dry it is very easy to carve holes in it and I used this characteristic to create a shelter. As you can see in the following picture I didn't use spray paint to cover the foam in this shelter, but tile glue:
Image
The reason I did this was that I couldn't get inside of the shelter with the spray paint can, but could with the glue.

And now something completely different since I got some more photo's. I found that Sandram really liked flat shelters where he could just get in/underneath. Therefore I used flagstone supported by four stones to give him a alternative shelter to the one I created with the PUR-foam.
Image
Image
Image


In 6 months I'm creating a new terrarium to give Sandram more space, so if you've got neat ideas to decorate your terrarium, this is the place to share :D.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:42 am
by russman
sweet! thanks for sharing!

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:51 am
by evil pixie
Is that foam really hard when it dries, or is it somewhat smooshy? It looks pretty solid/hard in the pictures.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:14 am
by springNRG
It is quite hard, especially because of the paint. You can damage it though with sharp surfaces. For example, my waterbowl chipped of a small piece when I put it in to roughly.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:11 pm
by Zach
Fantastic! Terrific ideas, and they look great. I like the branches fused into the foam.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:24 pm
by bluetonguemad
thast awesome...i might try that myself

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:15 pm
by KyleWeiss
I'm sure the insulation won't hurt anything either. Nice touch, great idea!

KW

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:27 pm
by Jadex25
looks mad, keep up the good work

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:16 am
by bluetonguemad
hey so how hard is it to do, like takes a few tries to get it as awesome as yours or a mentally retarded, blind chicken thats parents were cloned from the same egg and has no wings could do?

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:28 am
by Nature's Gift
Hello everyone :D

This looks like a sensational idea. I wonder if it is available (even under another brand) Down Under.

Anyone got any ideas?

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:06 am
by springNRG
bluetonguemad wrote:hey so how hard is it to do, like takes a few tries to get it as awesome as yours or a mentally retarded, blind chicken thats parents were cloned from the same egg and has no wings could do?


It is not that hard, as long as you take the time to try it out, just keep in mind that PUR foam expands. It is kind of like writing something on a balloon and then inflating it. In some cases, the ink will be hardly visible because it is distributed over a much larger surface. If this is the case for the spray paint you painted to lightly. I used black spray paint (it was something I still had lying about) and it looked grey with yellow spots (where there was no paint on the foam) when the process was finished.
Btw there is one thing I didn't mention: it took me 3 cans of foam to do a 0,75 m2 surface (including the cave).

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:37 am
by Geoff Gates
Nature's Gift wrote:Hello everyone :D

This looks like a sensational idea. I wonder if it is available (even under another brand) Down Under.

Anyone got any ideas?


Kathryn,

Have a look here....

for backgrounds,

http://www.aussiepythons.com/showthread.php?t=40637

and fake rocks, look here,

http://www.aussiepythons.com/showthread.php?t=29050

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:57 pm
by Herpasaurus
I see said the blind man....... i got a good idea. take the pur foam and this time when you make it near the mid top put a cave like area with the top of the entrance hanging over. put a couple stalagmites and tites in the entrance. then have a pump behind the pur foam cave pumping water out the cave and down the pur into a small river finally into the pool for the skink which at the bottom has a hole with a pipe leading back the the water cup that has the pump in it: ill upload a paint in a sec.Image

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:35 pm
by KyleWeiss
Las Vegas shouldn't inspire bluey enclosures. Well, not to the degree of including a water circulation system.

Too much humidity isn't good. A water circulation system would introduce a very swamp-like environment to the setup.

KW

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:09 am
by Leigh
Expanding foam turns to mush if saturated with liquid, nice idea for a room water feature, you could make a volcano with a moat

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:59 pm
by springNRG


Thanx Geoff, that idea about adding sand seems kinda nice. Think I just might try that on this background as well :D.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:38 pm
by Herpasaurus
hey you put it on cardboard or watever and then cut it to size to fit right?

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:52 am
by mom22wins
I know I've been talking to alot of forum members wondering about creating backgrounds for our enclosures. One of the great members of this forum PM'd me with this old thread and I thought I'd bump it up to share with everyone.

Lots of cool ideas and information! Enjoy... :D

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:10 am
by Arkangel
Great job!! I love the lava look especially for a reptile.

I made a vivarium for my treefrog using Great Stuff expanding foam and covered it with black silicone caulk and Bed-A-Beast and peat moss. Like you, I "built-in" wood and tree bark and as a finishing touch draped spanish moss and filled with orchids, moss, and plants.

The water level is higher now than it was in this picture and I've added fish. Pogo is not much of a fisher-frog, and there are plenty of places for the fish to hide.

This is one of my favorite pet habitats because it is like a tropical paradise. I have it in the hallway so that as soon as I come into the house after a long day or step in from the snowy cold I am greeted by the sound of running water and tropics! My finch aviary is just around the corner, so I also get the benefit of birdsong. :cloud9:

Image

Image

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:55 am
by mom22wins
Kristine,

What a serene welcome when you get home! I love what you did with your terrarium. Wish I was that creative.