Page 1 of 2

Worried Mom...

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:02 pm
by Lucifer_Spades
Does this look like heavier breathing than the average skink? I've never watched another BTS breath so I don't know what is normal but I know if I saw this in a Ball Python I would imediatly think Resp Infection.

**VIDEO**
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x284 ... ata001.flv

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:32 pm
by skinkee
^I hope someone with experience will answer this - I've been worried that mine has some kind of a respiratory infection.
He doesn't breath as rapidly as the one in the video, but sometimes the breathing seems to be a bit laboured. Sometimes he keeps his mouth just slightly open, just so that I could maybe slide in a sheet of paper.
I've heard a sound like a snot-bubble would burst in his sinus or lungs a couple of times - you know, what do you call it in English when you've got mucus in your lungs or sinuses and it makes a "popping/crackling" sound??? :chin:

Should I be worried? Will a little cold heal on it's own with no antibiotics?

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:44 pm
by KyleWeiss
:chill:

Okay. There's been way, way too many posts concerning bluey breathing lately.

I understand the concern, however, if you'll seach through threads, I've posted a number of times trying to settle and ease everyone's fears.

That video is a great reference for absolutely NORMAL bluey breathing. In fact, that is the most relaxed and calm breathing a bluey can do while awake and "warm," from what I've experienced.

Once and for all concerning noises:

Slight noises while your skink is breathing is NORMAL. Little pops, clicks and whistles are normal.

If your skink has labored breathing, breathing with the mouth open, or has a distinct rattle when breathing (which is much more audiable,) or any combination of the three, then there's cause for concern.

If you see any discharge of fluids or mucous from the nose, eyes or mouth, take your animal to a reptile vet.

I know there's a lot of caring people that worry about their animals, I commend all of you for that.

KW

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:04 pm
by Lucifer_Spades
Thanks I wasn't panicking as Quigs seems pretty normal and healthy otherwise I just needed a reference, having never been exposed a great deal to live blueys and watching my mom struggle with a Ball Pyton with a RI Breathing like that was the first indicator.

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:28 pm
by KyleWeiss
There's just a lot of people who just might panic over something like that, in fact, if you could do us a favor, help post your video if you want to show normal skink breathing if the concern ever comes up! :) So often we get great video posts that would give a good "live" shot of something good (or bad) that a bluey is doing for reference.

Snake breathing and lizard breathing, while similar, can even be different from reptile to reptile. Breathing like a bluey seen in say, a lot of geckoes, would be an indicator of labored breathing. I'm not a huge snake expert by any means, but it sounds like the same situation. For some reason, blueys evolved with noticeable breathing on their sides. :noknow: I always attributed this to it's burrowing tendencies because downward pressure of whereever it buried itself would make up-and-down breathing motions, from the spine to the stomach, much more difficult. That's just my assumption, though.

KW

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:46 pm
by thesilverbeast
KyleWeiss wrote:If you see any discharge of fluids or mucous from the nose, eyes or mouth, take your animal to a reptile vet.



I read here also that a "foaming" of the mouth (although not excessive) doesnt count as discharge or fluids from the mouth and its caused by the tongue going in and out. Am I right Kyle?

I just thought I should post that cos it wouldve given me a fright when I saw it once if I didnt know what it was.

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:50 pm
by KyleWeiss
"Foaming," is a different situation.

Rollie, for example, if he's been out for a couple of hours flicking his tongue like mad, will have little caps of foam on the corners of his mouth. Kind of like what happens when people talk a lot. :noknow: Yes, foaming happens, and not too often, at least for my skink. I'm sure there's owners out there that have animals that it happens far more often.

Sometimes the food they eat will crust up around their mouths as well, sometimes foaming a little if they go exploring after a big meal.

You'll know when there's actual discharge or mucous from sickness, because it won't be the only thing wrong you'll notice, usually.

KW

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:28 pm
by Lucifer_Spades
KyleWeiss wrote:There's just a lot of people who just might panic over something like that, in fact, if you could do us a favor, help post your video if you want to show normal skink breathing if the concern ever comes up! :) So often we get great video posts that would give a good "live" shot of something good (or bad) that a bluey is doing for reference.


:salute: Will Do Sarge. :salute:


Need any other videos of 100% normal things that skinks do I got em:
Burrowing
stalking fingers
staring down cats and children (through glass of course)
drinking
eating
pooing
sleeping



Wow I think I'm an addict. :roll:

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:24 pm
by Lisa
I took a picture of Jubby doing a poo once, but he looked really violated and I felt ashamed. I wouldn't want someone taking a pic of me on the loo! (But I didn't delete it. I'll show it to him on his 21st :hehe:)

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:54 pm
by KyleWeiss
In my opinion we don't post enough videos. Zach's usually the one that posts the most.

KW

Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:13 am
by Leigh
Lisa wrote:I took a picture of Jubby doing a poo once, but he looked really violated and I felt ashamed. I wouldn't want someone taking a pic of me on the loo! (But I didn't delete it. I'll show it to him on his 21st :hehe:)


I'll not post the one I got of you then :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:33 am
by thesilverbeast
Kyle:
i just thought some people might mistake it as discharge, mine has only ever done it once that ive seen. so im guessing it depends on the individual (just like humans)


Lucifer:
i would like to see the stare down videos and stalking fingers, but im sure theres people who want to see all (i would but im on dialup so vid's take forever to load!)

Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:46 am
by KyleWeiss
It's better to make a mistake of discharge and worry than to blow it off and take the chance of it getting worse. There is a certain value in peace of mind, though, but that's what the forum is for after all! :D No sense in people losing sleep.

KW

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:20 am
by Zach
Lucifer_Spades wrote:
KyleWeiss wrote:There's just a lot of people who just might panic over something like that, in fact, if you could do us a favor, help post your video if you want to show normal skink breathing if the concern ever comes up! :) So often we get great video posts that would give a good "live" shot of something good (or bad) that a bluey is doing for reference.


:salute: Will Do Sarge. :salute:


Need any other videos of 100% normal things that skinks do I got em:
Burrowing
stalking fingers
staring down cats and children (through glass of course)
drinking
eating
pooing
sleeping



Wow I think I'm an addict. :roll:



Yep, this video is a-ok.

I want a video of a BTS scratching his ears with his hind leg!

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:41 am
by Lisa
Leigh wrote:
Lisa wrote:I took a picture of Jubby doing a poo once, but he looked really violated and I felt ashamed. I wouldn't want someone taking a pic of me on the loo! (But I didn't delete it. I'll show it to him on his 21st :hehe:)


I'll not post the one I got of you then :lol: :lol:


shhhh .... those videos were supposed to be for our own personal enjoyment :hehe:

I've got heaps of videos but I'm on dial up, and at 10mb min, there's no way I'll be uploading any of them soon. Or watching any of the ones on here :cry:

I've got stalking fingers, stalking beetles, yawns, Jub stuck in a bike, Santos doing a poo on Ralphie. You name it, I've got it!

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:20 pm
by Zach
Scratching head! Scratching head!

:pray:

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:10 pm
by Lucifer_Spades
Zach wrote:Scratching head! Scratching head!

:pray:


I spose I could try blowing in his ear to get it....
But Ricky might get jelious. :lol:

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:02 pm
by KyleWeiss
I've seen Rollie scratch his ear with his hind leg ONCE... I've also seen him beating the side of his head against his log to free the shed ear-sac scale... :shock:

KW

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:17 pm
by Lucifer_Spades
KyleWeiss wrote:I've seen Rollie scratch his ear with his hind leg ONCE... I've also seen him beating the side of his head against his log to free the shed ear-sac scale... :shock:

KW


:paranoid:
Does Rollie need a padded room and helmet?

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:29 pm
by KyleWeiss
It's happened twice now, and when he does it, he holds his head similar when a cat head-butts your hand when it wants to be petted. Not painful, but definately getting his point across, to either the log or the ear-sac scale... :roll: Silly Rollie. :cloud9:

KW