Page 1 of 1

indonesian or merauke

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:51 pm
by suez
Hi all again i have been looking up pictures of all of the different blueys and i know it is very difficult even worse for me as i am a newbie to blueys i havent made it much easier for you guys as at the moment i only have a crap camera phone .(i will put that right funds permitting) I think mouseinamilkbottle was right but when i look at the merauke it looks exactly like Loui.he does have a pale blue tongue though going to pale pink halfway his tail is very long his underside is greyish with a deep pinky/red throathis stripes are very clean ffrom neck to tip of tail and his head is clean and uncoloured i will try to get better pics of himImage
Image both anterir and postirior legs are mottled

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:49 pm
by evil pixie
I'd say Indo because of the solid black legs, but don't quote me on that.

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:01 pm
by Lucifer_Spades
judging by these pics and your other posts I'd say indo he's not as clean and light, or lengthy as I would expect of a merauke also in the one pic in the other post he seems to have a lot of flecking on his throat. So my final answer is a lovely little indo although to cover my butt I am by no means at all an expert. but I wanted to get my guess in before the big guys weigh in so I can see how much better I am getting at ID's I thought mine was an eastern but they tell me he's an IJ and looking now I see why.

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:25 pm
by Zach
Must get pictures of the tail. Get an overhead shot of the entire animal....

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:40 pm
by Blotch
I agree 100% with zach - those pics don't really tell us much - however - if we had a tail pic - we could all tell you with one glance. Meraukes have REALLY long tails - if you're having troubles - go click on the links on the left hand side of the page. They have pics, and they're good ones!!!
This does not mean we don't want to see pics though. I think I can speak for everyone in saying - MORE PICS!!!!!!! :D

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:46 pm
by Lucifer_Spades
:ryo:
and you can see most of his tail in the luis post

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:05 pm
by Blotch
I double checked those pics, still not enough tail to tell IMO. However - if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say Indo. But I wanna see a full body shot!!! from tip of snout to tip of tail!

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:22 pm
by KyleWeiss
Ah, cameraphones. Bad at pictures, bad as communication devices. I bet they'll think it's a great idea to include a toaster oven in one too. I'm sure it'd work wonderfully... :thinking: :edward:

KW

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:34 pm
by Omega
my guess is indo, also cause of legs.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:35 pm
by suez
Zach wrote:Must get pictures of the tail. Get an overhead shot of the entire animal....


ok one more try with this awful camera phone after this i will try to get myself a decent camera monies are tight though i spend all on my crittersj just like they deserve. here we go

Image
Image
Image

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:51 pm
by Omega
did you steal marley, age him in a time machine, take pics, and then send me back my baby skink? My vote is stronger indo, but I'm a:

Image

so what do I know? =P sorry.. had been waiting for an opportunity to use that pic I took, hehe.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:33 pm
by suez
Omega wrote:did you steal marley, age him in a time machine, take pics, and then send me back my baby skink? My vote is stronger indo, but I'm a:

Image

so what do I know? =P sorry.. had been waiting for an opportunity to use that pic I took, hehe.


hes gorgeous isnt he/she note the poor little feet looking better now though since i got him home and am taking care of him. is he really that much like Marley could you take a guess how old he is

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:24 pm
by KyleWeiss
On the last two pictures, do you see how the glass in (what I assume to be) the door is clear and your skink is not? Cameras don't work if you get the subject too close. Take the picture about six inches further back! I hate to be a pain, but if you want skink identification, take some pictures we can use! :)

The side of your skinks head has what are called "temporal scales," just behind the eyes. The number of those may help determine what you have.

KW

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:15 pm
by Zach
Wait till he grows up a bit. Babies often look identical whether they're Indo or Merauke. There are also a lot of "in-between" specimens that have traits from both sides.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:59 pm
by Omega
yeah, very true zach. No idea about age, I'm new to BT's, but his coloring is a little lighter than Marley's, but both of their tails have more of a white tint on the side, and the pattern/striping/legs are all similar.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:45 pm
by Blotch
I am 100% sure you have a blue tongue skink!!! :P

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:15 am
by suez
Zach wrote:Wait till he grows up a bit. Babies often look identical whether they're Indo or Merauke. There are also a lot of "in-between" specimens that have traits from both sides.


ok thanks for all of the advise for now ill just keep on loving him i dont even know how old he/she is :?i know i just had to save him from that pet store cramped conditions and reallly poor feet . i wont bother with any more pics untill i get a decent camera no promises on how pics will turn out probably get someone to take them for me don,t like to use this but my hands don't work properly either but you have all been agreat help thanks again
Suez

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:54 am
by Zach
As far as age, I would guess between 6 months and a year.