Page 1 of 1

moving with BTS

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:35 am
by jdubs
I just moved a week ago with my BTS and now he just hides in his hide box and never comes out. If I pick him up and move him he just goes right back into it as fast as possible. He has been in it for a week so far.

My new apartment has more light than the old place, but I am putting up blinds so he is more shaded.

He was really active and friendly just a week ago, but now he seems really freaked out and scared.

is this normal? He hasnt eaten in a week either

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:59 am
by Jenn
What are the temps at your new place? Is his cage in a more active place now? Where is he in the shed cycle?

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:40 am
by jdubs
He is currently in shed. His colors got all grey and dull and now they went back to semi normal and he should be shedding in a few days at most.

I have had him for just a bit over a year and he is 15mos old. He always eats while he is shedding and is usually very friendly and extremely active unless I just fed him.

His new cage is warmer b/c my a/c is not as strong, which I am getting fixed, but still his cool end is maybe 80 and the hot basking area is 105+. I was going to reduce the light wattage.

Maybe the new sounds and extra light from the large windows are freaking him out, My old room was much darker most of the time.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:18 pm
by Piggy
Some can be withdrawn while shedding, and the added strees of a new environment, with different temperatures, lighting and sounds especially, can alter his regular behaviour. Certainly bring down the wattage, it will only help to get as many things as you can back to the way he know them.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:38 pm
by Richard.C
id say the stress of moving,he /she has to get used to new surroundings

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:10 am
by wastedindustry
Out of interest, is his hide on the opposite end of the tank to the heat lamp? If it is, it may just be that he's too hot and escaping to the hide to get away from the lamp, if it's at 105+.

Just a thought :)

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:37 pm
by KyleWeiss
One of the primary reasons infra-red temp guns are such a good idea... moving vivariuims, even across the room, can sometimes change temperatures.

KW

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:36 am
by Leigh
Does anyone have an opinion about orientation, I wondered if they get used to the day/night cycle where they're kept. I know moving my beardy from one side of the room to the other, tripped her right out as the whole set up was changed {180%} so every thing was at opposite ends to where she was before, it was two weeks before she started looking happier.