Shipping Help Needed
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- MrChonks
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 am
- Country:
- Location: Philly, PA ================
Shipping Help Needed
Hey All,
Sorry for being AFK. Been moving across country and stuffs. In the process of said move (whilst driving across country via I-80), my leo took a walk out of my hotel room while in Iowa and was nowhere to be found. I left a message with the front desk to call me if she was found, but figured she was long gone. Well, much to my surprise, I just got a call from the hotel stating they had found her. Here is where I will need your collective help. I need to get her shipped to me, but don't know if just anyone (ie. a gm for a hotel) can just ship a lizard via fedex or whatnot. I have read that you have to get a waiver to do so. Can anyone help me out in clarifying what will need to be done so that she can get shipped back to me? Also, is there anyone on the board who lives in or around the Des Moines area whom can help me facilitate this whole process?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I just want to get my leo back.
Thanks,
Chonks
Sorry for being AFK. Been moving across country and stuffs. In the process of said move (whilst driving across country via I-80), my leo took a walk out of my hotel room while in Iowa and was nowhere to be found. I left a message with the front desk to call me if she was found, but figured she was long gone. Well, much to my surprise, I just got a call from the hotel stating they had found her. Here is where I will need your collective help. I need to get her shipped to me, but don't know if just anyone (ie. a gm for a hotel) can just ship a lizard via fedex or whatnot. I have read that you have to get a waiver to do so. Can anyone help me out in clarifying what will need to be done so that she can get shipped back to me? Also, is there anyone on the board who lives in or around the Des Moines area whom can help me facilitate this whole process?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I just want to get my leo back.
Thanks,
Chonks
0.0.1 - Caramel Northern "Chewie (Dyson)"
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
- MrChonks
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 am
- Country:
- Location: Philly, PA ================
Also, if anyone needs to get a hold of me in the interim, just ring me at the following number:
215-664-1698
215-664-1698
0.0.1 - Caramel Northern "Chewie (Dyson)"
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
- Zach
- Grand Cicada

- Posts: 7550
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
- Country:
- Location: Orygun
- Contact:
Hmm, you may just have to ask them exactly what needs to be done, or what you have to do to start the process. CAN you do it? I mean, will THEY ship a live animal to you? I'd just explain the situation and say you'll do what needs to be done and that you'd like to have it done asap.
If to no avail, hopefully a member close-by will help out.....
If to no avail, hopefully a member close-by will help out.....
- kvega92
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 166
- Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:10 am
- Country:
- Location: Frederick, Maryland
- MrChonks
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 am
- Country:
- Location: Philly, PA ================
Henry is currently in Des Moines and I need her to get to me in Philly.
0.0.1 - Caramel Northern "Chewie (Dyson)"
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
- kvega92
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 166
- Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:10 am
- Country:
- Location: Frederick, Maryland
- AneesasMuse
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 266
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm
- Country:
- Location: SF Bay Area
- Contact:
I'm not sure about FedEx, but I know DHL will ship without you having a license or pet store or anything like that. You may have to ask for a supervisor cuz some of the employees are not clear on the policies, but I have an account with them now... strictly on the care and service I rec'd the first time I had to ship a gecko. They will ask you to clarify it is a non-venomous animal... just show em or tell em what it is... and some will ask you to fill out a waiver form.
For a 1# box.. appx. 5"x7"x10"... it will be in the range of $55 overnight by 10:30am They will even send a driver to pick it up for you, if you request it. I prefer dropping off the critter myself, cuz I can wait until later and have the animal sitting and being handled (in the box) less time. (I'm fortunate... the ladies that work in the drop area near me LOVE my geckos and leave the boxes open and in sight until time to get on the plane. I wouldn't allow just anyone to do this, though.)
Good Luck getting Henry back safe and sound!
For a 1# box.. appx. 5"x7"x10"... it will be in the range of $55 overnight by 10:30am They will even send a driver to pick it up for you, if you request it. I prefer dropping off the critter myself, cuz I can wait until later and have the animal sitting and being handled (in the box) less time. (I'm fortunate... the ladies that work in the drop area near me LOVE my geckos and leave the boxes open and in sight until time to get on the plane. I wouldn't allow just anyone to do this, though.)
Good Luck getting Henry back safe and sound!
"Lots of people talk to animals. Not that many listen though. That's the problem."
- Piglet
- Piglet
- MrChonks
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 am
- Country:
- Location: Philly, PA ================
Looks like DHL was the way to go. I had read (earlier today) that they do not ship reptiles of any kind, but when I called, they simply sent me a waiver to sign and that is all it took. So, it looks like Henry and I will be reunited after all! Hopefully she will survive the trip ok. It has been about two weeks that she was lost. Cross your fingers, everyone.
0.0.1 - Caramel Northern "Chewie (Dyson)"
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
- Tigergenesis
- The Blue Bayou

- Posts: 1450
- Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:18 pm
- Country:
- Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Contact:
-
wildlifewarrior
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:32 pm
- Country:
- Location: Connecticut
I have shipped anoles and geckos through reg US mail, all they have to do is check a list of restricted herps (snakes or turtles) so i don;t know if blueies are on some list but you could call em!
I don't know about everyone else, but i would recomend insulating the box (i don't know if a #1 is insulated or not) and putting in some shredded paper or something as cushin for when it gets bounced around.
good luck!
I don't know about everyone else, but i would recomend insulating the box (i don't know if a #1 is insulated or not) and putting in some shredded paper or something as cushin for when it gets bounced around.
good luck!
~mike
- AneesasMuse
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 266
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm
- Country:
- Location: SF Bay Area
- Contact:
MrChonks wrote:Looks like DHL was the way to go. I had read (earlier today) that they do not ship reptiles of any kind, but when I called, they simply sent me a waiver to sign and that is all it took. So, it looks like Henry and I will be reunited after all! Hopefully she will survive the trip ok. It has been about two weeks that she was lost. Cross your fingers, everyone.
Great news!! Fly safe, Henry!
"Lots of people talk to animals. Not that many listen though. That's the problem."
- Piglet
- Piglet
- Arkangel
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:51 am
- Country:
- Location: Jersey Devil Pinelands
Hooray!!!
Where is Kyle UPS secret agent string puller when you need him?
The U.S. Postal Service will ship also. The shipping box needs to be clearly marked that it is a non-venomous reptile and the species. Most people use the Latin name.
I would tip the hotel manager or whoever shipped the leo back and write a letter of appreciation to the chain manager (if it applies) without mentioning exactly what was done for you, but how much you value the person who assisted you.
Happy leo dance! 
Where is Kyle UPS secret agent string puller when you need him?
The U.S. Postal Service will ship also. The shipping box needs to be clearly marked that it is a non-venomous reptile and the species. Most people use the Latin name.
I would tip the hotel manager or whoever shipped the leo back and write a letter of appreciation to the chain manager (if it applies) without mentioning exactly what was done for you, but how much you value the person who assisted you.
Happy leo dance! 
Kristine
Bluebird Acres Farm
Barnyard Banter and Rocket Science blog
Artemis on MySpace
When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
Cree Prophecy.
Bluebird Acres Farm
Barnyard Banter and Rocket Science blog
Artemis on MySpace
When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
Cree Prophecy.
- MrChonks
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 am
- Country:
- Location: Philly, PA ================
So, they shipped her out yesterday and she should be here within the next couple of hours. I really can't wait to see her and get her all settled in with a nice big bowl of meal worms. I will let you all know how she fared.
0.0.1 - Caramel Northern "Chewie (Dyson)"
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
- Leigh
- Leigh of the Law

- Posts: 6695
- Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
- Country:
- Location: Bristol, England
- kvega92
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 166
- Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:10 am
- Country:
- Location: Frederick, Maryland
- MrChonks
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 am
- Country:
- Location: Philly, PA ================
Yeah, there is a lot of anxiety about waiting as I don't know what kind of condition she is in apart from what they told me. I just keep hoping that she makes it there in one piece.
0.0.1 - Caramel Northern "Chewie (Dyson)"
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
- Marie
- Eagle Eye

- Posts: 466
- Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:42 am
- Country:
- Location: Madison, WI
- Tigergenesis
- The Blue Bayou

- Posts: 1450
- Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:18 pm
- Country:
- Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Contact:
- kvega92
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 166
- Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:10 am
- Country:
- Location: Frederick, Maryland
- MrChonks
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 am
- Country:
- Location: Philly, PA ================
She made it one piece! She was even bright eyed and bushy tailed. My wife was the one who called me at work (Phillies game) to tell me that she made it and was in really good shape. She must have hit the buffet a couple of times over the past two weeks. I immediately went down to the basement to see her and she was just as I had remembered her. She seemed very happy to be on her heating pad again. I would imagine it will take her a couple of days to calm down and eat, but at the very least she is finally home. What a well-traveled lizard, eh?
Thanks to everyone for your words and advice (DHL will always be awesome in my book from here on out).
Chonks
Thanks to everyone for your words and advice (DHL will always be awesome in my book from here on out).
Chonks
0.0.1 - Caramel Northern "Chewie (Dyson)"
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
1.0.0 - Indo - "Darth Louie"
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - "Henry"
1.1.0 - Fat-Tail Gecko - "Sammy", Jezzabelle
1.0.0 - Black Lab
0.1.0 - Chihuahua
0.1.0 - Wife
----------------------------------------
døden er min venn
livet har ingen poeng
jeg er den pinsvinn
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 139 guests


, sounds like a happy ending mate