Page 1 of 1
input needed
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:36 pm
by Justawomyn
I am finally getting my baby back after a year of being with my stupid ex. I am finding out little things like she has been feeding her Vienna sausage so stupid, she has not been handling her. The transport person who knows nothing about bts says she looks fat. I will not know till ii get her in my hands. Ok so now that I have vented.
My current partner wanted to surprise me with a cage she made WEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL It turned out very nice, there is one small problem and I cannot tell her to cut it down it is almost 2 feet tall. So here is my question has anyone ever built a two story cage. My thought would it be a full level with a opening for just a ramp with a side rail so she could not fall off the ramp. I would have one side hinged of course with a center support from the bottom so the entire cage could be cleaned.. ??? any advice or input on this would be great. the cage is all plexi with a wood frame
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:39 pm
by Justawomyn
any help would be great
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:43 pm
by Blotch
mm evette - welcome!
2ft tall aint all that bad - atleast you know there's no chance of escape.
However, your theory on how to do a 2nd level seems to be sound. Have you drawn up any plans or anything?
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:40 pm
by Lisa
Hi Evette, welcome!
I have 2ft high tanks, and I think they're better than lower tanks because blueys do like to climb and explore, so you can be more creative with logs and rocks and plants, plus you can control humidity well because of the extra air space.
Build a ramp if you want, but I think if you just have a little fun with your tank decorations, you won't need a ramp.
Here's a couple of examples of mine, you can see they like to climb and use the hidey holes created from the various rocks and logs:
As you can see from the 2nd shot, they can get their climbing fix, but as Luke says, definately no chance of escape!

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:42 pm
by Omega
First off.... Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about the poor care of your bluey, but I'm sure you can nurse em back to health and mellowness

.
Yeah, I was going to say the same. 2 feet is no problem at all, especially considering that the lamps can be down inside as shown above. I would keep it as is, and not make it 2 levels. My current setup is 2 levels with seperate enclosures, and each is 18 inches tall- which I find is BARELY enough room for lighting and other stuff. I couldn't imagine working with 2 spaces that were a foot tall.
Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:07 pm
by Richard.C
welcome,all my blueys reside in 2 foot high cages as well,i think its the perfect height,glad you r getting your bluey back,as im sure your bluey will enjoy being back with you,good luck with him/her,oh and post a pic of the little tacker,and his home,would love to see them
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:29 pm
by Jenn
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:19 pm
by Omega
I really like that 2 tier basking area / hide Jenn. Good idea. If I ever get something a little bigger I would love to have something like that.
Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:08 pm
by Jenn
All it is PVC pipe and a tile from home depot. I used gorilla glue if I remember right. He's had them for at least a year and they've held up fine. I have a humid hide under the smaller one (dry most of the time) that he likes to sleep in. I normally feed him on the smaller one to because it's easier to clean up then when it's in the aspen.