Page 1 of 1

Temperature too high?

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:13 pm
by mom22wins
Hey there,

I just got everything together with my terrarium for the baby bluey I'm getting soon. I set it up with a 24" 20W UVB flourescent light and a 60W Basking light. The way the overhead hood is set up, the basking light isn't facing down it's facing horizontal like a normal light bulb would be. So the hottest area is almost in the middle of the tank rather than on one end. :doh:

Right now my thermometer reads 90 degrees on the cooler side! I'm not sure how accurate that is as I just put it in there about 2 hours ago. I ordered a hand held temperature gauge that you point at the area you want a temp on but I haven't received it yet. That will give me a better reading.

Is it too hot in there for a bluey baby? What do I do??? :noknow:

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:53 pm
by Zach
Those "side bulb" ballasts aren't the greatest because the focus of the heat bulb is not down on the basking rock -- You also want that hot spot on just ONE end of the tank so he has the rest of the tank at a normal temperature level (70's is ideal). I'm not sure what to tell you except that they aren't the greatest! :chin:

Anyone have experience with these "duo" ballast boxes?

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:56 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
Working at a petstore, I get lots of first hand reviews. None are positive.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:03 pm
by Hijinks
Yeah, I had a hood thing with sockets for UV and multiple incandescents, and I scrapped it after a week of use. It was very expensive, but it ended up not being at all practical. It was built so that basking lights DID point straight down, but it still stunk. It was extremely heavy and bulky, and I feel like it held in too much heat and prevented air circulation. I went to Home Depot and spent less than $20 on clamp lamps to use instead.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:49 pm
by mom22wins
Shoot! I was thinking I saved some money (it was $50) by ordering an all in one unit and it looks like I wasted it. I doubt if they'll take it back. I wonder if I use a regular watt light bulb in the spot for basking if it would warm her up enough but still allow the rest of the tank to be cooler... :doh:

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:52 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
It should, what kind and size tank do you have?

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:55 pm
by mom22wins
It's a 40 gallon tank...

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:08 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
Then you should just go with a standard clamp lamp, with a UV on a seperate fixture, it will work the best. Probably a 60-100 watt bulb for heat, depending on your room temp.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:41 pm
by mom22wins
Thanks John. Maybe I'll just save this hood for another pet at another time. :wink: It will be my excuse to my husband. "Well, I can't let it go to waste!"

Di

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:05 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
Good call!

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:02 pm
by Zach
NomadOfTheHills wrote:Good call!



Yeah!

:deal: