Snails?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- SailleSkinklover
- Bluey Fanatic

- Posts: 2160
- Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 pm
- Country:
- Location: Everett WA
- Contact:
Re: Snails
From what I've seen on the forum, yes, Skinks are strong enough to crush the shells which are a great source of calcium. There's even a pic of someone in this forum who had empty shells that they put greens in for their skink! (Cool idea that, sorry I can't remember off the cuff who that was! )
I however, have no experience with snails, and I was wondering, if I don't trust the wild caught snails in my area to not have pesticides, what kind of snails can and should I purchase for my Bluey? ( obviously not Salt water ones! ) Anything I can get to vary his diet is a help!
Thanks,
Saille

I however, have no experience with snails, and I was wondering, if I don't trust the wild caught snails in my area to not have pesticides, what kind of snails can and should I purchase for my Bluey? ( obviously not Salt water ones! ) Anything I can get to vary his diet is a help!
Thanks,
Saille

- Jenn
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am
- Country:
- Location: CT
Yup, they do! I feed my guys mystery/apple snails. Some people are lucky and their pet stores give them away because they come in the the aquatic plants and are considered pests. I'm not so luckly and have to pay for them. I've also done ramshorn snails but I found those shells were really hard and sharp when cracked and that there wasn't enough meat in the middle to make it worth it.
1.0 Northerns Christopher


- LittleFoot
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1297
- Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: NE Pennsy
They usually have no problem cracking snail shells, and if they do have a little difficulty you can always carck them a biut for them. Most here recomend if you get snails from a pet store, keep them in a separate tank for a couple of days to make sure they stay alive and are healthy. LittleFoot only eats golden apple snails, I have given him black mystery snails and he wont touch them...he is very particular about his escargot.
Pippi
-
Phantom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 312
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:39 pm
- Country:
- Location: Near Chicago
- LittleFoot
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1297
- Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: NE Pennsy
- Colin Hamilton
- Starve the Lizards!

- Posts: 179
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:58 pm
- Country:
- Location: sydney
re Snails
Not sure what a mystery snail is,there must be the european type garden snails in gardens in the USA like australia surely,these are the preferred favourite if they are from non toxic plants.Blue tongues such as the easterns origially fed on native australian snails amongst other things so they readily adapted to the european type with great enthusiasm,rather like edward to goats eyes. 
- Leigh
- Leigh of the Law

- Posts: 6695
- Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
- Country:
- Location: Bristol, England
Look back through the threads, there's loads of info about this subject
COLINmystery snails are aquatic,there's a coulple of sorts
SailleSkinklover, collect a few, put in bucket with some greens and 1" of water in 3/4 days if still alive, feed them, dont worry about shell cracking, they'll relish the challenge, smaller ones are better as they can and will consume more of the shell, large ones have a strong spiral in the middle that mine leaves well alone.
COLINmystery snails are aquatic,there's a coulple of sorts
SailleSkinklover, collect a few, put in bucket with some greens and 1" of water in 3/4 days if still alive, feed them, dont worry about shell cracking, they'll relish the challenge, smaller ones are better as they can and will consume more of the shell, large ones have a strong spiral in the middle that mine leaves well alone.
MMMmmmmm... Something???????
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 243 guests
