Page 1 of 1

Snails?

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:11 pm
by Phantom
I've heard that skinks like snails. I was wondering, do they have the jaw power to crush the shell?

Re: Snails

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:28 pm
by SailleSkinklover
From what I've seen on the forum, yes, Skinks are strong enough to crush the shells which are a great source of calcium. There's even a pic of someone in this forum who had empty shells that they put greens in for their skink! (Cool idea that, sorry I can't remember off the cuff who that was! )
I however, have no experience with snails, and I was wondering, if I don't trust the wild caught snails in my area to not have pesticides, what kind of snails can and should I purchase for my Bluey? ( obviously not Salt water ones! ) Anything I can get to vary his diet is a help!
Thanks,
Saille
:banana:

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:40 am
by Jenn
Yup, they do! I feed my guys mystery/apple snails. Some people are lucky and their pet stores give them away because they come in the the aquatic plants and are considered pests. I'm not so luckly and have to pay for them. I've also done ramshorn snails but I found those shells were really hard and sharp when cracked and that there wasn't enough meat in the middle to make it worth it.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:50 pm
by LittleFoot
They usually have no problem cracking snail shells, and if they do have a little difficulty you can always carck them a biut for them. Most here recomend if you get snails from a pet store, keep them in a separate tank for a couple of days to make sure they stay alive and are healthy. LittleFoot only eats golden apple snails, I have given him black mystery snails and he wont touch them...he is very particular about his escargot.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:07 pm
by Phantom
can you feed them aquatic snails? Like the black ones in the fish tanks in petstores

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:40 pm
by LittleFoot
Phantom wrote:can you feed them aquatic snails? Like the black ones in the fish tanks in petstores


Yup, I just keep them in a tank for a several days to feed them and to make sure they are healthy.

re Snails

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:12 am
by Colin Hamilton
Not sure what a mystery snail is,there must be the european type garden snails in gardens in the USA like australia surely,these are the preferred favourite if they are from non toxic plants.Blue tongues such as the easterns origially fed on native australian snails amongst other things so they readily adapted to the european type with great enthusiasm,rather like edward to goats eyes. :)

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:18 am
by Leigh
Look back through the threads, there's loads of info about this subject :thumbs:

COLINmystery snails are aquatic,there's a coulple of sorts

SailleSkinklover, collect a few, put in bucket with some greens and 1" of water in 3/4 days if still alive, feed them, dont worry about shell cracking, they'll relish the challenge, smaller ones are better as they can and will consume more of the shell, large ones have a strong spiral in the middle that mine leaves well alone.