Page 1 of 2
Sammy bit her tail end off!
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:52 am
by mom22wins
Sammy has been shedding lately and as I was checking out her body for left over shed, I noticed something strange about her tail...
I guess Sammy and Bobby have more in common as siblings than we thought!
Should I be worried? I have no idea why she would do this to herself...
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:06 am
by mom22wins
I can't believe how much this is really bothering me...
I know it's stupid but I hope she's not having mental issues from being in captivity or something.
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:14 am
by Leigh
Thats a little sad, dont beat yourself up about it, they are strange critters some times, maybe Zach's got some self inflicting cannabal genes in the mix
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:12 am
by mom22wins
maybe Zach's got some self inflicting cannabal genes in the mix
As usual you make me laugh, Leigh.
I took her outside today. I think I'm going to try to do that more often. Maybe she's bored.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:43 am
by Leigh
Perhaps there was an extremely itchy bit of stuck shed that just bugged the heck out of her

oh my goodness!
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:17 am
by aggiegirl
I can't believe she did that! At least she is young and didn't take much off. It should regenerate nicely and I doubt you'll notice the difference when she is older. Just make sure to be extra vigilant removing any feces, etc. so that it stays clean. Have you emailed Zach? He will want to know. In the meanwhile, I'm taking Charlotte to shop for an Elizabethan collar!

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:15 pm
by mom22wins
Very funny Kathy! I think I should've had an Elizabethan collar to begin with! Then I wouldn't have this problem. lol
Maybe Leigh's right. Maybe she was just really itchy and irritated at her tail. I don't know. I just hope it's not because she's anxious or unhappy.
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:51 pm
by kris21
*darn, not another one...what is with these siblings!
Im sure it will grow back fine, you just wonder if it hurt her or is hurting now....poor baby.
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:26 pm
by mewzic-7123
maybe there was some food stuck on her tail, (im not joking) mine goes crazy for any food he likes, its scary.
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:20 pm
by Dragontears
isn't Sammy's mom a stump tailed skink as well? Maybe she was just telling her mom that she'd remember her always.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:53 am
by Zach
Holy cow...I got your PM, but just noticed this thread.
I tend to lean toward the itchy theory -- I don't think she's unhappy or bored as that tank looks great. Outside time is terrific! And the more handling the better -- it's great stimulation.
So strange...the good news (as mentioned) is that it will grow to essentially brand new since she's still a baby. Gosh, I'm so sorry for all this trouble! At least you have a great support group.

And again, don't worry, everything will turn out fine! Babies are often so finicky and fast as youngsters, but they'll tame down as they get old. You should see Pearl and Peach now....lazy fat mothers.
I can't remember where you said your tank is, but somewhere where there's high traffic often helps as if they're in a bedroom alone all day, any movement that comes will be frightening opposed to constant movement gets accustomed to quickly.
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:03 am
by Phantom
Heh, now bobby's not the only one.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:44 am
by Leigh
Dragontears wrote:isn't Sammy's mom a stump tailed skink as well? Maybe she was just telling her mom that she'd remember her always.

If so, thats better than a home done MUM and DAD tough tatty
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:19 am
by mom22wins
You all are funny.

Thanks for the reassurance. I feel a little better with all the possible causes you all mentioned. Very funny about the family resemblance and possibility that she was trying to tell mom that she'd remember her always! lol
I don't know if she ate it because there was food on it or she was irritated or it broke off somewhere in the tank. I'm going to clean her terrarium throughly this weekend and I will see if it's in there somewhere. I almost hope to find it. Something about her doing something that drastic tends to make me worry about her anxiety level.
Gosh, I'm so sorry for all this trouble!
Don't feel bad Zach, I imagine she has been no more trouble than any other new pet I would've brought home. I guess there's always this stage to go through where they are getting acclimated and everything.
Good news though! She seems much more relaxed now that she has completed her shed. So maybe she was just moody on top of being a little shy anyway.
I'll keep you posted.
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:30 am
by Funda
Phantom wrote:Heh, now bobby's not the only one.

*darn straight! lol

f.C
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:56 am
by Marie
I feel like I'm living under a rock. Let me get this straight. Your skinky and Bobby are from the same mommy and both have attacked their tails?! I completely missed the Bobby tail drama. Will somebody fill me in?
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:16 am
by Lucifer_Spades
Marie wrote:I feel like I'm living under a rock. Let me get this straight. Your skinky and Bobby are from the same mommy and both have attacked their tails?! I completely missed the Bobby tail drama. Will somebody fill me in?
Bobby's story(off the personalities page):
This is an interesting bluey. While eating, this bluey got a little huffy at his brother, so we put him in a separate tank. He then proceded to bite off his own tail and EAT IT! This isn't unheard of with blueys (although uncommon), but it's the first time I've experienced it. The strange thing is, this bluey is not aggressive at all to people (all blueys can be aggressive to each other because they are solitary in the wild). He looks funny without his tail, but the large majority of it will indeed grow back and you won't even be able to tell the difference. If a bluey loses its tail, it's better to lose it as a baby because as they grow up, the tail will grow with them much more efficiently. His health is not in jeopardy at all. A bluey's tail is designed to pull off, and also designed to grow mostly back. This guy needs a loving home! We're worried that people won't give him a chance without his tail, but he's a completely healthy and normal baby just the same, and again, the tail will grow pretty much all back. He's as sweet as can be....just missing a little something.
Oh, and we've been calling him Bobby because, well, his tail is bobbed.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:57 pm
by mom22wins
Yeah, what she said!

family tradition
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:19 pm
by aggiegirl
I thought that was kind of wierd that Peach's tail was a regen too. I had assumed since Pearl's tail was also regenerated that they'd done that to one another. I don't care for Hank Williams Jr's music but it reminds me of his song "Family Tradition."

I've already read Charlotte the rights on this type of behavior.

(Hope she is a better listener than my two-legged children.

)
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:43 pm
by KyleWeiss
Hank Williams III is sure a li'l hellraiser though. I would like to see him and his band live one day...
...Zach only assumed that Peach and Pearl's tail were conditions fo them living together anyway, no one really knew for sure, that I was aware of.
KW