Page 1 of 1

Best way to travel.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:33 pm
by russman
Ok, so I have two skinks enroute coming to my house, one of which will belong to my girlfriend. I will be transporting this lovely little baby to her an hour away. I was just curious what the best way travel with a skink is.. any suggestions?

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:51 pm
by SailleSkinklover
Hey, Congrats on your new babies! I've found the best way to travel with a new critter is to basically keep him in a warm dark cardboard box with a towel. You don't want a box too big so he slides around in it, nor do you want a box that will cramp him. As long as he feels warm and in the dark, he should feel safe. Cardboard "breathes", so should be fine for an hour's car ride.
when you go to open the box, make some noise, talk to him, let him know whats going to happen, that you're going to take him out, then open the lid carefully/slowly. I find that talking to them before/as you approach helps them to know you're not going to hurt them, especially after the trauma of traveling.
I use this technique for traveling to and from the vet, and it has worked great. Even if your skink doesn't understand English, I think they understand body language/voice tone enough to recognize that no harm is meant for them. Communication is good for every species, we just need to learn their language! :) Good luck! Hope this helps!
Saille

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:55 pm
by Hijinks
I put mine in a shoebox with a towel and one of these taped to the underside of the box at one end: http://www.campingsurvival.com/codiha4pa.html
(Omit if it's gonna be warm in the car of course.)

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:33 pm
by LittleFoot
I use a snake bag for LittleFoot and for Jade(my uro). I tie the knot of the bag into the buckled seat belt.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:48 pm
by Lisa
Don't feed him before the trip, or try and make the trip after he's pooped otherwise it might be a messy experience. Or, transport when he is cool, and he will be less active and stressed. I put mine in individual pillow cases inside a plastic container with towels in the bottom and I hold it on my lap (as a passenger).

Take an extra pillow case ... just in case :lol: