Bella and Tybo are here! PICS.. DUW

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Bella and Tybo are here! PICS.. DUW

Postby russman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:09 am

I've been waiting all day for this stinkin UPS guy to get here, and he finally did (1:30)! I made sure to take some pictures to document the occassion.
Nicely packaged box.. I wonder what's inside..
Image
A friendly greeting, and some business cards.
Image
I was scared because the bags weren't moving, so I picked up the first one and put it in the cage. I untied the bag, and took out some of the yarn packaging, and there was Tybo (bowtie backwards, for his bowtie nose) staring out at me, a little huffy.
Image
He crawled out, and has been sitting on the basking tile ever since.
Image
Image
Next came Bella, a little less huffy than Tybo.

Image
Tybo giving me some tongue.. err.. no. Just flicking it.
Image
Image
Bella showed off her tongue too!
Image
And she's been sitting on that tile ever since getting out too. What a beauty! Good thing Bella means beautiful in Latin (and Italian I think).Image
Tybo's house, and Bella's temporary house.. She has an identical one waiting at my girlfriend Jess's house. We had them both shipped to me in order to save on shipping. Two in one box!Image
User avatar
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm
Country:
Location: Philippines

Postby Drew » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:17 am

wowwowowow!!!!!!
so pretty!!
you guys are so lucky there!!
i truly envy you guys

post more pics
but again, beautiful setup and beautiful babies!!!

anyway, whats the wattage of that lamp?
** true blooded Filipino herper!!! **
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 am

The lamp is a 125W.. The setup came with a 50W which might be alright in Virginia where the cage came from, but in Pennsylvania (especially in my basement), its cold, and that wattage just couldn't heat the cage.

I tried a 75W and a 100W and neither of them could quite get the cage heated enough. The cool side was in the 70s and the hot was only about 80. I picked up this bulb at Lowes for like $4, and made a platform for the basking tile, so that it would keep it warmer. The bulb is so big, that I had to suspend the lamp from above so that it wasn't touching the screen top of the cage. I am also going to put a household heating pad under the tank to generate some heat.
User avatar
Marie
Eagle Eye
Eagle Eye
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:42 am
Country:
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Marie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:32 am

Look how tiny they are! :love:
You better watch out. There's always one Sassy/Slurpy baby that develops an attitude. Princess Phoebe is the '04 diva, and my Prince Mel is the '05 version. Will yours be royalty '07?
1.2.0 Irian Jayas - "Gargamel", "Gloria" aka "Lil Thang"
0.0.1 Tanimbar - "Pandora"
RIP "Popsicle"
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:34 am

Ahhh, I'd go for a duke, but they're too humble for royalty.
User avatar
mom22wins
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:12 pm
Country:
Location: Pasadena, MD
Contact:

Postby mom22wins » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:54 am

So glad your new babies got there safe and sound! The set up looks great! I think I might take your idea and build a platform for Sammy's basking tile when she gets a larger enclosure. Either that or get some pvc legs and attach them to a ceramic tile.

Pretty little guys! Congrats! :D :ohyes:
User avatar
SailleSkinklover
Bluey Fanatic
Bluey Fanatic
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Everett WA
Contact:

Postby SailleSkinklover » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:07 pm

That bowtie snout is to die for! :love:
Your set ups look great too! Congrats on your skinklets!
Saille
rosebud
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:13 pm
Country:
Location: Greenville, PA

Postby rosebud » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:30 pm

Looks amazing baby!!! I cant wait until i get to see my bella in person!!! Im really anxious : ) The stand you made looks great too, and i love the adorable pics! :ohyes: Oh yeah, by the way i see that ur room is officially a mess again, lol, oh well for all of my hard work. And it only took one day to get back to the mess! :doh: <3
*RoSeBuD*
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:00 pm

Ahhh, awesome pictures already! Their fat heads just kill me....

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
User avatar
Jenn
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am
Country:
Location: CT

Postby Jenn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Congratulations!!!! Your babies are cutie pies!
1.0 Northerns Christopher

:blueyprint:
User avatar
mewzic-7123
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:27 pm
Country:
Location: B.C Canada

Postby mewzic-7123 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:24 pm

cant wait to see them grow! nice tongue shots too
User avatar
aggiegirl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 pm
Country:

cute!

Postby aggiegirl » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Those are some seriously cute babies! Love the set up too!
JWSR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:43 pm
Country:
Location: Henderson, Kentucky

Postby JWSR » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:11 pm

Congrats Russ! :D You got two beauties there! :ohyes: I hope to be getting Shelly soon!
User avatar
Funda
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:35 am
Country:
Location: Australia: Victoria/Melbourne
Contact:

Postby Funda » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:27 pm

Your skinkies look beautiful!! :love:
Your enclosure set up looks great too.
You should post some in the album :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing mate!

:blueyprint: f.C
*1 Dog, mitsy
*1 Cockatiel, Baylee
*2 Kittens, Lucky and Cuddles
*2 Eastern BTS, Saphia and Eragon.
*f.C Photography
*I love Cengiz, my love muffin!
User avatar
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm
Country:
Location: Philippines

Postby Drew » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:10 pm

russman wrote:The lamp is a 125W.. The setup came with a 50W which might be alright in Virginia where the cage came from, but in Pennsylvania (especially in my basement), its cold, and that wattage just couldn't heat the cage.

I tried a 75W and a 100W and neither of them could quite get the cage heated enough. The cool side was in the 70s and the hot was only about 80. I picked up this bulb at Lowes for like $4, and made a platform for the basking tile, so that it would keep it warmer. The bulb is so big, that I had to suspend the lamp from above so that it wasn't touching the screen top of the cage. I am also going to put a household heating pad under the tank to generate some heat.


125!? thats hot! i guess its cold down there. nice setup! more pics
** true blooded Filipino herper!!! **
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:12 pm

Yeah, its a brooder heat lamp that I got from Lowe's, so I'm guessing that it may not be as powerful as a herp heat lamp.. not sure though. I am moving in late September and conditions will be better so I won't have to use such a heavy duty bulb.
User avatar
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm
Country:
Location: Philippines

Postby Drew » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:20 pm

russman wrote:Yeah, its a brooder heat lamp that I got from Lowe's, so I'm guessing that it may not be as powerful as a herp heat lamp.. not sure though. I am moving in late September and conditions will be better so I won't have to use such a heavy duty bulb.



keep us posted! :D
** true blooded Filipino herper!!! **
eloc
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:10 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Postby eloc » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:53 pm

Congrats! How exciting!! We can't wait to get our baby Kona and seeing this just makes us more excited.
Your set up is great.....we are working on ours now and may have to steal your platform idea for the basking tile!

Thanks for a great idea.
Amy
User avatar
Lisa
Blue Mountains Beauty
Blue Mountains Beauty
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:04 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW, Australia

Postby Lisa » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:05 pm

wow, he does have a big head! He almost looks like a centralian in the basking rock pic! I bet the rest of them just about flew out of Mum after he cleared the way for them :lol: Poor Mum but, I bet she's been walking around bow legged ever since !!

Ambient air temps will affect the basking area temp as well. So too your type of tank (glass v timber, open or closed tanks etc). I use higher wattages in winter and lower in summer, and have small heat mats under their main hide.

Congrats on the new arrivals :thumbs:
1 Eastern, JUBBY, born January 2004
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
User avatar
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
Country:
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Postby Dragontears » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:12 pm

:woo: Glad they arrived safe and sound! :love:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 152 guests