Page 1 of 2

Bella and Tybo are here! PICS.. DUW

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:09 am
by russman
I've been waiting all day for this stinkin UPS guy to get here, and he finally did (1:30)! I made sure to take some pictures to document the occassion.
Nicely packaged box.. I wonder what's inside..
Image
A friendly greeting, and some business cards.
Image
I was scared because the bags weren't moving, so I picked up the first one and put it in the cage. I untied the bag, and took out some of the yarn packaging, and there was Tybo (bowtie backwards, for his bowtie nose) staring out at me, a little huffy.
Image
He crawled out, and has been sitting on the basking tile ever since.
Image
Image
Next came Bella, a little less huffy than Tybo.

Image
Tybo giving me some tongue.. err.. no. Just flicking it.
Image
Image
Bella showed off her tongue too!
Image
And she's been sitting on that tile ever since getting out too. What a beauty! Good thing Bella means beautiful in Latin (and Italian I think).Image
Tybo's house, and Bella's temporary house.. She has an identical one waiting at my girlfriend Jess's house. We had them both shipped to me in order to save on shipping. Two in one box!Image

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:17 am
by Drew
wowwowowow!!!!!!
so pretty!!
you guys are so lucky there!!
i truly envy you guys

post more pics
but again, beautiful setup and beautiful babies!!!

anyway, whats the wattage of that lamp?

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 am
by russman
The lamp is a 125W.. The setup came with a 50W which might be alright in Virginia where the cage came from, but in Pennsylvania (especially in my basement), its cold, and that wattage just couldn't heat the cage.

I tried a 75W and a 100W and neither of them could quite get the cage heated enough. The cool side was in the 70s and the hot was only about 80. I picked up this bulb at Lowes for like $4, and made a platform for the basking tile, so that it would keep it warmer. The bulb is so big, that I had to suspend the lamp from above so that it wasn't touching the screen top of the cage. I am also going to put a household heating pad under the tank to generate some heat.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:32 am
by Marie
Look how tiny they are! :love:
You better watch out. There's always one Sassy/Slurpy baby that develops an attitude. Princess Phoebe is the '04 diva, and my Prince Mel is the '05 version. Will yours be royalty '07?

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:34 am
by russman
Ahhh, I'd go for a duke, but they're too humble for royalty.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:54 am
by mom22wins
So glad your new babies got there safe and sound! The set up looks great! I think I might take your idea and build a platform for Sammy's basking tile when she gets a larger enclosure. Either that or get some pvc legs and attach them to a ceramic tile.

Pretty little guys! Congrats! :D :ohyes:

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:07 pm
by SailleSkinklover
That bowtie snout is to die for! :love:
Your set ups look great too! Congrats on your skinklets!
Saille

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:30 pm
by rosebud
Looks amazing baby!!! I cant wait until i get to see my bella in person!!! Im really anxious : ) The stand you made looks great too, and i love the adorable pics! :ohyes: Oh yeah, by the way i see that ur room is officially a mess again, lol, oh well for all of my hard work. And it only took one day to get back to the mess! :doh: <3

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:00 pm
by Zach
Ahhh, awesome pictures already! Their fat heads just kill me....

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:13 pm
by Jenn
Congratulations!!!! Your babies are cutie pies!

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:24 pm
by mewzic-7123
cant wait to see them grow! nice tongue shots too

cute!

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:05 pm
by aggiegirl
Those are some seriously cute babies! Love the set up too!

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:11 pm
by JWSR
Congrats Russ! :D You got two beauties there! :ohyes: I hope to be getting Shelly soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:27 pm
by Funda
Your skinkies look beautiful!! :love:
Your enclosure set up looks great too.
You should post some in the album :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing mate!

:blueyprint: f.C

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:10 pm
by Drew
russman wrote:The lamp is a 125W.. The setup came with a 50W which might be alright in Virginia where the cage came from, but in Pennsylvania (especially in my basement), its cold, and that wattage just couldn't heat the cage.

I tried a 75W and a 100W and neither of them could quite get the cage heated enough. The cool side was in the 70s and the hot was only about 80. I picked up this bulb at Lowes for like $4, and made a platform for the basking tile, so that it would keep it warmer. The bulb is so big, that I had to suspend the lamp from above so that it wasn't touching the screen top of the cage. I am also going to put a household heating pad under the tank to generate some heat.


125!? thats hot! i guess its cold down there. nice setup! more pics

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:12 pm
by russman
Yeah, its a brooder heat lamp that I got from Lowe's, so I'm guessing that it may not be as powerful as a herp heat lamp.. not sure though. I am moving in late September and conditions will be better so I won't have to use such a heavy duty bulb.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:20 pm
by Drew
russman wrote:Yeah, its a brooder heat lamp that I got from Lowe's, so I'm guessing that it may not be as powerful as a herp heat lamp.. not sure though. I am moving in late September and conditions will be better so I won't have to use such a heavy duty bulb.



keep us posted! :D

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:53 pm
by eloc
Congrats! How exciting!! We can't wait to get our baby Kona and seeing this just makes us more excited.
Your set up is great.....we are working on ours now and may have to steal your platform idea for the basking tile!

Thanks for a great idea.
Amy

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:05 pm
by Lisa
wow, he does have a big head! He almost looks like a centralian in the basking rock pic! I bet the rest of them just about flew out of Mum after he cleared the way for them :lol: Poor Mum but, I bet she's been walking around bow legged ever since !!

Ambient air temps will affect the basking area temp as well. So too your type of tank (glass v timber, open or closed tanks etc). I use higher wattages in winter and lower in summer, and have small heat mats under their main hide.

Congrats on the new arrivals :thumbs:

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:12 pm
by Dragontears
:woo: Glad they arrived safe and sound! :love: