Page 1 of 2
Getting my first baby this week!!
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:34 pm
by B3N
I've been researching lizards for a few weeks now and have a coworker who is a big fish guy but knows a lot about reptiles who has also been helping me. I have narrowed it down to a BTS or a bearded dragon. I was wondering if anyone who has had both had a recommendation, I realize most of you guys are probably big BTS fans considering this is a BTS forum but any advice would be helpful. Also if anyone is in the boston area and knows of any breeders please PM or AIM me.
-B
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:02 pm
by JWSR
I currently have both, a two year old BD and two young BTS. It's really personal choice. They both have great personalities, don't mind handling, and are non aggressive. However feeding a baby bearded is a chore. You will do more care and feeding for it's insects than you will for the dragon. Beardies can be very finicky eaters as they approach the one year mark, and getting them to eat the greens they need at that stage of their life can just about take an act of Congress. Personally, I would recommend a blue tongue simply for the relatively easy to maintain diet, and the cutest faces you could find on any reptile anywhere. Check out the caresheet on this site. There's a lot of good breeders on this site, like Zach, Ray, and Andrew and they all will be glad to help you out.
Good Luck,
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:28 pm
by Drew
do anyone has Ray's website?
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:57 pm
by LittleFoot
I have owned both types of reptiles, and personally I would say bts...I honestly think if I had a bts as my first reptile ever, I would have stayed with just them, they are absolutely wonderful pets and there is such a great support group with this forum for BTS owners.
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:25 am
by russman
I came on this site in February and asked the same exact question. I had been researching reptiles and narrowed it down to beardies or blueys. Well, here I am, 6 months later with two widdle baby skinks from Zach, and I couldn't be happier. They are a joy to take care of, and are very friendly.
When I weighed out all of the pros and cons, BTS ended up on top because of feeding. I didn't want to be messing around with crickets or roaches, and especially not every day. Beardies eat every day for their whole lives, whereas blueys only eat every day as babies.. then they go to every other day to every third day or even longer.
On another note, every reptile owner and his brother has a bearded dragon. Hardly anyone has, or even knows about, blue tongue skinks. I love showing people my babies and edumacating them.
On top of all of that, there's a great community at this site to answer all of your questions (literally!), and just to talk and enjoy BTS together with.
If you think about it, the decision is easy.
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:32 am
by B3N
Thanks for all the help guys, if anyone else has experience or anything to add please do.
-B
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:55 am
by JWSR
Drew,
Here's Ray's website. It's where I got Irwin, in my avitar, from.
http://community-2.webtv.net/rgurgui/ThunderBayHerp/
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:21 am
by B3N
Ok guys it looks I will be going with a bluey, I plan on getting his tank set up this week and then getting him sometime during the week after. I will be getting my baby from a reptile superstore in Rhode Island. Ive started to make a list of what I will need to get to set up the tank. On the list I put the names of the places I planned to purchase the various items from if anyone thinks there is a better deal somewhere else please tell me. If anyone has any extra/used items on the list and would like to sell or give please do.
40 gallon breeder - Petco
Heat lamp >10in – Home Depot
Incandescent bulb 100 watts – Home Depot
Ceramic heat emitter -
Basking Rock –
Temp Gun - Radio Shack
Large Cigar Humidifier – Smoke Shop
Water bowl –
hygrometer/thermometer combination unit – Radio Shack
UV Mercury Vapor bulb -
http://www.reptileuv.com/
Aspen Shavings (shaved) –
Collard Greens/Spaghetti squash/Mango/Rasberries – supermarket
Crickets –
Please post any suggestions/comments!!!
I'm very excited, Ive researched these lizards for about two weeks and am very happy I have come to a decision.
-B
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:27 pm
by mewzic-7123
good job on the list! you have made the right descision BTs are great! you could add some dog food to that list
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:34 pm
by Phantom
I wouldn't get a temp gun from radioshack. They are expensive. They have them here for really cheap:
http://www.tempgun.com/main.html
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:45 pm
by mom22wins
Great choice! Bluey's rule!
I would suggest getting one from a breeder rather than a pet store. With stores you never know what you're getting and the health problems that you may face if they are not actually captive breed.
Either way, it's great that you're getting prepared before hand!
Post pic's soon!!!
Diane
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:55 pm
by SailleSkinklover
I would skip the crickets altogether, they're gross, and can carry pinworms, and can be somewhat high maintenance compared to other insects. Plus, they're not very nutritious for Blueys. Neither are mealworms for that matter. Mine loves waxworms, which are easy to keep, (just stick 'em in the door of your fridge) easy to feed, and better for him.
Check out the caresheet for insect/protien foods that are good for blueys!
Oh, and congrats!

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:42 pm
by B3N
mewzic-7123 wrote:good job on the list! you have made the right descision BTs are great! you could add some dog food to that list
Will do, thanks!!
mom22wins wrote:Great choice! Bluey's rule!
I would suggest getting one from a breeder rather than a pet store. With stores you never know what you're getting and the health problems that you may face if they are not actually captive breed.
Either way, it's great that you're getting prepared before hand!
Post pic's soon!!!
Diane
I probably worded it poorly, Regal Reptile isn't really a place like Petco or a big chain it is a huge place that is half zoo half reptile store. Everything I have heard from people is that they do a great job raising the little guys. This was one of my major concerns and one of the first few questions I asked people via pm/email. I would love to support a breeder but I cant find any for Blueys in the MA area and I don't feel so good about shipping. I do appreciate the help tho and will be sure to post pics!!
SailleSkinklover wrote:I would skip the crickets altogether, they're gross, and can carry pinworms, and can be somewhat high maintenance compared to other insects. Plus, they're not very nutritious for Blueys. Neither are mealworms for that matter. Mine loves waxworms, which are easy to keep, (just stick 'em in the door of your fridge) easy to feed, and better for him.
Check out the caresheet for insect/protien foods that are good for blueys!
Oh, and congrats!

Sounds good, wax worms it is.
I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me this is exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone have any used equipment on the list that I need?
-B
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:21 pm
by Phantom
What kind are you getting?
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:06 pm
by Fatal_S
I think I've heard that Craigslist is great for used tanks/supplies, also check out garage sales and then get some basic things from a DIY or hardware store instead of a pet shop. Pet shop items are usually quite overpriced.
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:15 pm
by B3N
Phantom wrote:What kind are you getting?
To be honest Im not really sure. Ive called three times today and no one doing the phones knew exactly what type they had I think they were at the register. They said there was a show in maine 4 hours away so that they would probably have a lot of different types this week. Any recomendations? I'm not very picky just want a healthy one.
Fatal_S wrote:I think I've heard that Craigslist is great for used tanks/supplies, also check out garage sales and then get some basic things from a DIY or hardware store instead of a pet shop. Pet shop items are usually quite overpriced.
Ive been looking on craigslist I found one setup how does this look? I offered them 50.00 for it considering I can get a 40gallon breeder for 40 dollars tomorrow from petco. Even if they do take the deal for 50 I will probably just keep the 30 has a backup.
30 gallon high tank 30" x 18" x 12.5"
·Matching Black Tank Stand 31.8" x 29.5" x 13.8"
·Lifelife Desert Background
·Black snug fitting screen top
·2 (75 watts) Night Glo Bulbs
·1 (100 watts) Day Heat Bulb (brand new!)
·18.2 " UVB horizontal lamp with housing
·10" Day Lamp Housing
·6" Night Lamp Housing
·Basking Bark
·Hiding Log
·Miscellaneous shrubbery
·Water and food dishes
·Food - Freeze Dried Crickets
·Supplements - Reptical, Cricket Powder, Appetite Stimulating Spray
·Brand New thermometer
-B
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:17 pm
by Fatal_S
Sounds like a good deal to me. If you're getting a baby the 30 could last for a while before needing an upgrade. You may not need everything, but lots of it seems like a great bargain.
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:31 am
by Tattoo
Congrats on choosing a bluey. I am so in love with mine it is ridiculous! Nothing like watching the tv with your bluey perched on top of your head.

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:43 am
by AndrewSeike
Thanks for the recommendation and recognition Jerry!
Ray is one of the BEST BREEDERS to buy from bar none.
I consider him a personal friend and a true diehard bluey lover. We both bought skinks from each other on several occasions. He's not your average breeder by far.
Andrew
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:38 am
by Marie
Congrats on your decision. I have multiple blueys and one beardie. I love my beardie to death, but I love my blueys even more. It's all just personal preference though. I checked over your list and made a few comments.
bigpapi34 wrote:40 gallon breeder - Petco
Heat lamp >10in – Home Depot
Incandescent bulb 100 watts – Home Depot
Ceramic heat emitter -
I don't think a ceramic heat emitter is necessary. Were you thinking about this for night? You can monitor the temps, but blueys can tolerate lower temps at night. Many of us don't use anything at night.
bigpapi34 wrote:Basking Rock –
I currently use a basking platform. The platform is made of ceramic tile (like the ones you can buy at home depot), and I have it raised on a very sturdy box. In the past, I have also taken large stones from outside and boiled them.
bigpapi34 wrote: Temp Gun - Radio Shack
Large Cigar Humidifier – Smoke Shop
I'm not sure you need the humidifier. Having a large water bowl can keep the humidity at the right level. You can also provide a humid hide for shedding ease. These can be made out of plastic boxes and moss or other moist substrate.
bigpapi34 wrote:Water bowl –
Not sure how old your bluey is going to be, but my large guys use pyrex pie plates. They are a little larger, and occasionally, my blueys like to drag their bellies through the water.
bigpapi34 wrote:hygrometer/thermometer combination unit – Radio Shack
UV Mercury Vapor bulb -
http://www.reptileuv.com/Aspen Shavings (shaved) –
Collard Greens/Spaghetti squash/Mango/Rasberries – supermarket
Crickets –
Check the caresheet for a good list of foods. I'd avoid crickets. They aren't that healthy, plus they stink and are a pain to keep stocked. You can buy healthier silkworms and tomato worms online. You can also use chicken and ground turkey for meat sources.
You might also want to invest in a timer for the lights. This will help you easily maintain a regular day/night cycle. Also make sure you have plenty of hiding spots.