Page 1 of 1
Billy Not Eating!!
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:35 pm
by Scott Stewart
hiya ive had billy for 2 years now and never had any trouble with him
he's very friendly and just a great character to have around im always looking at him and laughing..
anyways im having an unusual problem(im sure you hear that all the time)
but ive left it as long as i can because he has had his little spells of this before but this is diffrent
he just wont eat anything he wont even look at his food..
ive tried lots ive ..left it longer inbetween feeds to see if i can encourage him to eat..ive tried diffrent foods/fruits..ive mixed then all togther and nothing *shrugs* the few times that he does go over to his dish he has like one mouth full then leaves it
its got to the point im putting fresh food in there everyday just so if he does get an appetite theres something there
he drinks very regulary
but at the moment im just throwing food out please can somebody help me on this matter
his day temps vary from 35-39 C in the basking area
also he seems to be coming out at night and sleeping through the day other times ive seen him in the morning sleeping out of his hide before i turn the daylights on
is billy sick???
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:52 pm
by Jenn
How long has he not been eating?
Where are you located?
Where is he in the shed cycle?
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:08 pm
by SailleSkinklover
Is he appearing to lose weight?
You might want to have a Herp vet check him for parasites: have the vet do a fecal exam.
Also, do you take him to the vet for check ups, so you have a "base" health to go from?
I do know that when I got my guy, I took him to the vet right away, even though he was improving healthwise with me. I found out he had parasites, for which I was given medication to give to him. I also had to give daily baths and cage cleaning.
I have heard that sometimes crickets can carry pinworms, and my vet said that snails can occasionally carry parasites as well.
Also, is it getting near hibrination time where you live?
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:32 pm
by Scott Stewart
i'd say he hasent been eating for 2 weeks and when he eats eats like a mouthfull
id say there is about 2 weeks till his next shed
im located in the uk and its really hot here at the moment
he doesnt appear to have lost weight no
im going to have to play it by ear the rest of this week and keep you guys informed
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:55 pm
by Zach
Sounds like your enclosure is too hot...what are the dimensions?
Do you have a hot end and a cool end? Is his cage next to windows that could catch some sun and raise temperatures during the day?
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:32 am
by Scott Stewart
i have a 4 foot viv cool end on the left with his water and hot end on right with his basking rock/cave/hide
his temps are around 40 c in the day at the hot end
however yes my viv is near the window but its the only place i can put him as there are no more plugs in the living room
but in saying that he was near a window in my last house with no problems and he ate fine
he is on the floor and the window is above him
he currently is sleeping in his hide with the daylights on as we speak i bet it will get too hot for him soon so as soon as he comes out when he is ready ill try feeding him then while his body is hot ill keep you informed

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:32 am
by Scott Stewart
sorry dimensions - 4 foot across 2 foot up
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:49 am
by JWSR
Two items Scott..........(1) Thermostat, and (2) 24 hour timer. I never have to turn on lights or adjust temperatures. It's a simple method of day, night, and temperature management.
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:31 pm
by kvega92
I hope everythins is going better and I was just wondering if Billy eathing yet?
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:56 pm
by Scott Stewart
i do have a theromostat i have a digital one that measures temps both ends
im gonna tr him with some more food 2moro ive left him for a few days as he has just been sleeping havent seen the little bugger

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:18 pm
by Drew
best of luck man.. im experiencing the same thing with my Boris..
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:18 pm
by russman
-and I with my Tuck.
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:47 pm
by SailleSkinklover
Chuff's appetite is diminishing a little as well lately. I figured its because of the days getting shorter, and we just moved, and life has been a little disrupted. He sees the vet for his parasite check up on the 8th, and he's been pooping and peeing regularly, though not as much or as big. It might be a good thing, as the vet had said he looked gassy and bloated in his lower intestinal area when he examined Chuff's xrays.
He farted the other day when I had him outside, as he was peeing and passing a urate, and he looks less bloated than he did, but still OK.
I know this is weird, but has anybody else ever heard their skinks fart?
Chuff's done it like three times, and I know its silly, but I giggle every time.
Lizard farts!

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:11 am
by russman
Yeah haha, Bella farted one of the first days I had her.. when she was peeing.
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:54 am
by SkinkysMom
CariƱo did it just the other day

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:11 am
by russman
Ok.. I've posted this elsewhere, but since this thread is active, I thought I would ask for advice here.
My little Tuck isn't eating. Today he had like 2 bites because I hand fed him (seems the only way he'll eat). Other than that he hasn't eaten since Saturday. He is so small, he MUST need the nourishment. I've tried feeding him in the evening and morning, tried earthworms, all kinds of greens, tomatoes, grapes, kiwi, and cat food. He just won't eat! I'm kinda gettin scared.