My first skink ~ My first pics! *DUW*

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
KibblesNbitz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:52 pm
Country:
Location: New Jersey

My first skink ~ My first pics! *DUW*

Postby KibblesNbitz » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:28 pm

So in case you missed the other thread, I adopted him from work after he had an infection. He received injections every week and has recovered quite well. Normally he sells for $169-$200 but I got him for free since he needed a good home.

I was going to wait until tomorrow to get a 40 gallon out of our new store but I couldn't wait ( Since I was so excited ) and I found another tank. It's a 40 gallon breeder and was $74.99 which was a lot better than $110 so I bought it. When I went to pick the tank up with my dad and his truck ( Since it definitely was'nt fitting in my Mustang :lol: ) he payed for it so that saved me a bunch of money. We also got the screen and the stand and the total came to under $180 :D

Anyways I bought him 2 lights with 75 watt bulbs and just tracked down a UVB light today so I bought that and some fake plants. In the first pic I took out the vine and replaced it with 3 nicer plants a few hours ago...

His tank...
Image

The skink himself, who has now been named "Gator"...
Image

Image

I spy a little skink eye spying on me...
Image

*yawn*
Image

"Yeah, I'm on a pink towel,...you gotta' problem buddy?!"
Image

Sleeping...
Image

And the house I built him based on Russman's design, althought it did'nt come out nearly as well

:doh: :wink:

Image
User avatar
mewzic-7123
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:27 pm
Country:
Location: B.C Canada

Postby mewzic-7123 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:56 pm

:thumbs: looks great! and lucky, my skink went for $315, has he been eating well?
KibblesNbitz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:52 pm
Country:
Location: New Jersey

Postby KibblesNbitz » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:19 pm

He ate the first day I had him which was yesterday. He had some leftover London Broil that we had lying around so I cut some up and he gobbled that down along with some carrots and broccoli. We offered him some strawberries and bananas today but he did'nt eat anything. Only a small leftover piece of London Broil this morning. Not sure if he did'ntlike stawberries or bananas or if he's having a problem again. When he was in the store he was'nt eating for a while but he started again just before I got him. I'll see if he eats tommorow before I get too worried...

He's was actually refusing cat food before he ate the London broil and carrots and brocolli. I guess he's eating healthier all by himself.

Another factor is his shed. I'm not sure when he's going to since I got confused when he was in the store, but I'm fairly sure it'll be very soon from what I remember...
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:37 pm

Pryce didn't eat for 3 days, then finally decided to today, and they can go weeks without food without problem, so don't worry too much. He's a cutie, good luck with him.
KibblesNbitz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:52 pm
Country:
Location: New Jersey

Postby KibblesNbitz » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:44 pm

Thanks so much!

Anybody have any idea on how long is too long for them to be out? I love taking him out and walking around with him and even going places, but I'm always so nervous that he's way too cold without his lights... :(
User avatar
Jenn
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am
Country:
Location: CT

Postby Jenn » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:57 pm

Right now you shouldn't have a problem with him being cold while he's out unless you have the AC on.

Remember that he's just moved and that can be stressful for a skink so a few days of not eating can be expected. If he's getting ready to shed not eating can be expected as well. Keep trying new things and you'll see what he likes and doesn't like. You'll also get a handle on how often he likes to eat. There is a great food chart on the caresheet that will give good foods to try.
1.0 Northerns Christopher

:blueyprint:
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:57 pm

Taking him out for an hour or 2 at a time should be fine. If he starts getting sluggish or feeling cool, I find sticking them into your shirt for a bit will warm him up, and people get a kick out of watching you retreive him. If your going on long trips think about bringing a towel or box and a heat pad.
User avatar
mom22wins
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:12 pm
Country:
Location: Pasadena, MD
Contact:

Postby mom22wins » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:12 pm

So glad your skinky is settling in! :D Nice set up too! He's a pretty boy. As they get older, I'm told they don't eat every day but to offer it just in case.

Can't wait to see more pic's!

Congrats!

Diane
User avatar
Funda
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:35 am
Country:
Location: Australia: Victoria/Melbourne
Contact:

Postby Funda » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:53 pm

Great skink and great set up mate! Well done! :thumbs:

Im sure Gator is going to live happily ever after now that he has someone that cares for him so much!! :ohyes:

:blueyprint: f.C
*1 Dog, mitsy
*1 Cockatiel, Baylee
*2 Kittens, Lucky and Cuddles
*2 Eastern BTS, Saphia and Eragon.
*f.C Photography
*I love Cengiz, my love muffin!
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:33 pm

I love the name, and the hide/basking rock is top notch. :thumbs:


Why do you have two basking lights? You only want one! You want one hot side, and one cool side so he can thermoregulate and choose which temperature he is most comfortable.

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
KibblesNbitz
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:52 pm
Country:
Location: New Jersey

Postby KibblesNbitz » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:17 am

If I turn off the light the temps drop way down for some reason. I'm going to go turn one off right now and check back and see where the temps are at in a little while....
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:24 am

I'd say your basking tile hide is every bit as good as mine!
User avatar
SailleSkinklover
Bluey Fanatic
Bluey Fanatic
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Everett WA
Contact:

Postby SailleSkinklover » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:47 am

Gator is a beautiful silvery colour! He's a really good looking skink, congrats on him! your set up looks great too.
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:38 pm

russman wrote:I'd say your basking tile hide is every bit as good as mine!



What's the word? I'd just get a stronger bulb on the one side, and ditch the entire lamp on the other end.

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
User avatar
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm
Country:
Location: Philippines

Postby Drew » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:53 pm

looking good
nice setup
** true blooded Filipino herper!!! **

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 149 guests