Page 1 of 1

On or under basking rock?

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:54 am
by mom22wins
I recently raised Sammy's basking tile and she is loving it. She's been lying under it and it brought up a question:

Does it really matter if your Bluey is laying on the basking tile or underneath it? I mean, she is still raising her body temp so she should be able to digest her food properly. Am I right?

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:16 pm
by Jenn
Do you have a UVB light? If so under it is blocking the rays. If not, then it doesn't matter if she's under or above. I would check the temp above it though and make sure it's not too hot. Most of my guys have a hide underneath their basking spot and it's one of their favorite hides. Especially in the colder weather as it retains some of the heat at night.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:51 pm
by mom22wins
Yes, I have a UVB light on the cooler side of the tank. She gets rays from that during the day when she's out. The basking tile is reading at 95 degrees right now. Underneath it reads 92 degrees.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:06 pm
by Zach
That's just fine, but a lot of people use this as an excuse to insist they don't need a basking spot. I've received lots of emails saying their bluey is just fine with a warm cage, but no heat light. I like to use the example of a sauna as opposed to sun tanning by a pool. Yeah, a sauna keeps you warm, but direct rays on the back are essential. And that's exactly what the hot bulb is meant to replicate in our "mini-habitats". This post isn't a bash at anyone, it just reminded me of some of the stubborn folks I've spoke with online! And of course, it all goes back to the fact that blue tongues are so danged tough....you can abuse them with lack of lights and proper food and they'll still live for a long time with no signs of illness. Take almost any other type of common reptile pet and they would have died long ago....

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:20 am
by mom22wins
Part of me is glad she found a place that she feels secure. Another part of me thinks I should dig her out so she'll walk around her enclosure a bit.

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:38 am
by Lazyprsn
I have a little hide/ basking log right under my basking light. Floyd actually spends most of his day burrowed under it.
He does go on top when he wakes up, after eating, or if he's been outside his tank for a while.
I'm going to agree with Zach and say as long as there is a spot for them to bask they'll be fine.

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:45 pm
by mom22wins
I'm going to agree with Zach and say as long as there is a spot for them to bask they'll be fine.
Cool. That makes me feel better.. 8)