Page 1 of 1
Babies ate superworms, not eating much now
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:06 pm
by russman
I fed my three babies some superworms the day we got Tuck, which was Saturday. Since then, their appetite just hasn't seemed the same. Ty will lick around his food, but not much chomping. Tuck just doesn't seem to have an appetite for anything that doesn't move, even if I stick his nose in the food. Bella is a little like Ty, not eating much. None of them ate at all on Sunday, they ate just a little on both Monday and Tuesday, though not as much as I would liked, and today, Ty licked his food, but didnt eat much and Tuck didn't eat anything.
I'm not too worried about Ty's appetite because he seems to take after his dad, Slurpy, but Tuck is just a little guy and eats hardly anything. Is there something I should try? I ordered some waxworms and butterworms from Mulberry farms to see if he will eat some of those, but in the meantime, what?
I feed them a good mixture of greens and veggies, canned catfood or egg, and a little bit of diced fruit (mostly kiwi, banana, or some kind of melon).
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:19 pm
by SailleSkinklover
Where did you get the superworms from?
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:40 pm
by russman
PetSmart I think, either that or Petco.. they're all the same to me. We got them on the way back from Kentucky. We actually fed Tuck in the car on the way home. He ate them like a champ.. so did the others when we got back.
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:40 pm
by Jenn
What are your temps? When was their last shed?
Since they aren't eating everyday try offering food everyother.
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:46 pm
by russman
I have a 125W bulb heating my 65gal, and it only gets up to the low 90s on the hot side, although the basking tile was at around 115 degrees when I checked. I just put Tuck in his new cage and its at about 100 degrees with a 113 degree basking rock. Tuck just got out of a shed when I got him, I assume because he had some stuck shed on his head. Ty and Bella, however, haven't shed since I have had them.. their last shed would have been in Zach's care. Not sure when that was.
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:48 pm
by Jenn
How long have you had them? The shedding signs aren't as noticable on babies but they shed often. So it is possible that they are due to shed. Also it might take Tuck a little while to start eating because he's settling in.
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:54 pm
by russman
I've had Ty and Bella for 10 days now. I guess they could be going into shed.. I've thought their scales aren't quite as brilliant as they were when I first got them.
Tuck just doesn't like food as much as them either.. he's a bit smaller. I'll keep my eye on him and try some other types of food. I've been mixing it all together, but I may try giving him things separately. He just ate part of a grape from my hand.
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:40 pm
by russman
Jenn, you know your stuff.. Ty is shedding right now.
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:26 am
by Jenn
As they get older it's much easier to spot when they are going to shed. The whole process takes longer. As you get to know them more, you'll be able to tell with the little ones as well. Their signs aren't as obvious and the whole cycle is much shorter. You'll also get to know who goes off feed when they shed, who gets grumpy, who sleeps more and even who doesn't change anything at all!
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:07 pm
by russman
Well Ty definitely gets grumpy. He bit me twice yesterday.. he's a pretty huffy individual. But the good news is, he ate a ton today in his bright new skin.
Tuck on the other hand, still isn't eating. I'm even thinking about going to the grocery store and picking up some worms. He's only eaten things that move for me so far!
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:13 pm
by Jenn
Have you tried mixing the worms into his food so all of his food moves?
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:08 pm
by russman
Well, the first day I had the little container of superworms, my three blueys ate all of them! There were probably 15 in there, and they all had close to 5.
I went and bought some nightcrawlers and washed them off, but Tuck wasn't interested. I tested it out with Ty who seems to be eating well now and he wasn't interested either. I'm still waiting on my shipment of silk and butterworms.
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:41 pm
by Leigh
Dont stress about it, mine goes into spoilt mode,after a meal of nice live feeders, he'll hold out for ages and ignore everything but his top three non live food stuffs
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:30 pm
by mom22wins
Sounds like you've already gotten answers to your questions. I just wanted to ad that after I feed Sammy even one or two silkworms (they aren't alive) she won't have much of an appetite for a day or so after that. I think it may take a while to digest and the fat in them is filling.
first live feeder
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:00 pm
by Drew
Boris never seemed interested in live feeders but Bowie is a different story, i guess way back with his bredder he used to being fed superworms. Then i tried this morning he had 4 mealis! goodie! what a site to see!
i d offer some turkey flavored later,ill see if he will still eat
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:02 pm
by russman
I just gave Tuck some boiled chicken because he wouldn't eat again for me earlier today. He GOBBLED it down like hotcakes! I found his favorite!
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:12 pm
by Drew
russman wrote:I just gave Tuck some boiled chicken because he wouldn't eat again for me earlier today. He GOBBLED it down like hotcakes! I found his favorite!
great! great! great!
i hope Bowie would be "gobbler" soon.. hehehe
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:04 am
by Zach
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:36 am
by Leigh
Blue loves chicken so much

, I can't offer it by hand as I'd lose a digit, one sniff and the eyes go

and he actually runs to the dish, my g'freind was offering bits to him the other evening, and before I could warn her he came out of hiding and lunged at her fingers like a croc out of water,she crapped her self and tried telling him off, and I was
