Page 1 of 1

More about snails

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:02 am
by Tattoo
Well ... I have to ask as I have never fed snails to Tattoo ...
Do skinks eat the snail and the shell or just pull the snail out of the shell? :shock: Again ... snails ... gross!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:15 pm
by megaabel
I read they love the shell
cause they get calcium from it and they smash them and eat them :)

I have mine quarantined right now so that I can feed them to him next week maybe of course... after I have him and he's settled in :)


I can't wait to see how he does it ! :)

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:56 pm
by LittleFoot
they eat it all...every once in a while they will leave a piece of shell, but for the most part they eat the whole thing. The shells are a great source of calcium and great exercise for their jaws, it's amazing their jaw strength. If they seem to be having some trouble cracking the shell, you can always pre-crack the shell for them.

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:33 pm
by Jenn
It depends on the bluey. Frankie only eats enough of the shell to get to the yummy good stuff in the middle. Spike eats everything including the shell that Frankie leaves.

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:33 pm
by LittleFoot
Jenn wrote:It depends on the bluey. Frankie only eats enough of the shell to get to the yummy good stuff in the middle. Spike eats everything including the shell that Frankie leaves.


yeah, i should have added IF they like them. LittleFoot will not eat black mystery snails, he only likes the golden apple snails, he is a weird little critter :D

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:48 pm
by Jenn
My guys don't care about the color but they do think that ramshorn snails aren't worth it. Too much hard shell and not enough yummy middle.

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:33 am
by bruno
All me skinks avode to eat the :P shell, and they are very good at it.

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:04 pm
by Tattoo
Well ... I figured the shell was probably on the menu. Where is the best place to purchase a safe supply? :helpme:

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:25 am
by bruno
Well i collect snails in the nearbye wood plus breeding.Do think its bedst

to avoid collecting near road and parkingplace.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:17 am
by Leigh
I wouldn't worry about where you get them {avoid heavy industrial area's},If you just use the three/four day quarantine rule, if alive go for it, if not launch them,I have found that land snails that are bigger than 20mm diameter have a spiral through the middle that gets left, I've also cheated before,look up {SNAIL KALE TRICK} an old thread of mine ,to see what I did, I used a piece of shell the other day and stuck a blueberry to the underside and tricked Blue into eating it Haaahaa

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:29 pm
by Tattoo
Thanks Leigh. I checked out snail kale trick. Very funny. Seems like I should be able to get some snails from a restauant supplier or some other food vendor. Gets pretty cold in Vermont in the winter to find them for at least half the year. This should prove interesting ... :chin:

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:33 pm
by Steve
you can find escargot on amazon.com for about $6 or $7 plus shipping for 72 snails (without shells)

You can also get 1000 live snails for $99 on ebay

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:49 pm
by Tattoo
EEE Gads! 1000 live snails ... sounds like a horror film! :bugeyes: :nervous: :paranoid: Thanks Steve 8)

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:57 pm
by megaabel
that's how my snail hold tank looks like.. I have like 20 in there but it looks sort of like a horror film! ;) hehehe..

watson loves Snails!!! He is a monster he loves to eat only half of the shell...

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:43 pm
by Steve
Well you can buy less than 1000.... the seller has other auctions up too. Just wanted to point out that you can reliably find large quantities of snails if needed.

I bought escargot off amazon.com that should arrive tomorrow. I'll report back on how it works out.