Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone, just starting
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:26 am
by Kristin
I just wanted to say how awesome this site is, informative and helpful. Everyone here deserves a big round of applause

My husband and I have been wanting to get a pet lizard for our 9yr old son Jonathan, for a while now. I have been doing lots of research on the internet (this site by far is the most helpful), library, and with friends that own reptiles. I settled on the BTS because of friendlyness, sturdiness, the handling abilities, and the fact that they are diurnal was a major pluss. I am still looking at possible canidates to join our family, Jonathan has fallen in love with Buck, Niko and Peach's baby, we love the dark colors. I myself have fallin in love with Rudy, Slurpy and Sassy's baby

. Keep up the good work.
Kristin
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:03 am
by Fatal_S
Welcome to the forum. However, this introduction belongs on the General Discussion Forum (few people read the Classifieds). Whichever baby (or babies *wink wink*) you get, you know you'll love them, and be sure to post lots of pictures on the GDF. Once again, Welcome to the BTS.net!
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:24 am
by Kristin
hehe, oops, is there a way to move this thread or do I need to delete and re-type? Thanks Kristin
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:42 am
by Jenn
Moved it!

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:47 am
by Kristin
aww, thank you so much

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:48 am
by mom22wins
Welcome Kristen! I'm sure you'll love either Buck or Rudy whichever one you choose.
Incidentally, I have a baby from Niko and Peach's clutch. Her name is Sammy and she is very docile in nature and I have children as well. I don't let them handle her alot as she is still a baby but the more she grows, the more I let them hold her. They think she's the neatest thing since sliced bread!

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:37 am
by Tattoo
Welcome Kristin!

Good luck with your choice of babies. I am sure whichever you choose from Zach you will love.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:07 pm
by eloc
Hi Kristin.
My son, who is 8, just got Kona, one of Niko and Pearl's babies. He saved all of his money and bought her himself. We have had her two weeks and we are head over heels in love. I don't how we got along without her. She is an amazing addition to our family. My son is so great with her and has become very protective of her and takes good care of her.
He is so happy, I have never seen him like this before. She even helps Cole with his homework on a daily basis (see my homework helper post).
I agree with you, the information on this site is amazing, so are the people.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Amy
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:42 pm
by LittleFoot
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:30 pm
by Kristin
Thank you everyone, we just got dissapointing news, my husband was getting a 55gal aquarium that he was told was a reptile aquarium. It ends up being a thin and tall one, which we think is to tall, 21", and to narrow, only about 12" wide, the length is good at 4ft. but what do you guys think? the guy only wants $99 for it and it comes with the stand and a bunch of other stuff that would be good for different reptiles, just not Bluey's, I really want the best enclosure and not just get this because the price is good. Thank you for any oppinions.
Kristin
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:24 pm
by Funda
WELCOME!!!

f.C
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:04 pm
by mewzic-7123
Welcome! i dont think thats wide enough, im thinking 4feet 3feet and 2feet tall,depending on how strong the light, which is what my enclosure should have been.
the tank
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:08 pm
by aggiegirl
I was offered one that size for free. I had to turn them down because of the width. Unlike smaller, more flexible skinks, adult blueys would have a hard time turning around in a tank that narrow. I think you would be better off waiting for a wider tank. I have a tall tank too (a recycled fish aquarium) and that affects bulb choices/lamp position but that is workable. The length on that tank would've been great too. Keep looking. I found a lidless 75 gallon on craigslist for $50. Try want ads, garage sales, and reptile stores too. You can save alot on a used tank from any of those sources.
Like your pending bluey source. My baby is from Peach and Nikko. Zach and Holly will have done a good job with either little one and they give good advice if you have questions!
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:28 pm
by Zach
I agree...4 feet is great, but only ONE foot of turn around space! It'd be great for a baby, so if you want to upgrade later, you can always do that. Craigslist is a gem for tanks....be sure to look there!
Also, fish stores often have older or cracked aquariums that can't hold water, but likely would be perfect for your lizard. They're likely to come in all shapes.
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:23 pm
by Bird_Brain
Around here, you can find 30gal breeders (critter cages that have the sliding screen top) for less than $100. It would be about a foot shorter at 3ft, but they are 18" wide. I think I paid about $80 for mine. Just keep looking. Sooner or later you will find a good deal on one. Like Zach said look for cracked aquariums. I got a 29gal for $10 because it was cracked.
For a temporary cage, you can always get a rubbermaid tote and cut the the lid, leaving about 4" all round the outer edge and then somehow attach a piece of aluminum window screen to place the heat lamp and UV light on. Totes usually cost only $10-$20.
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:43 am
by Kristin
thank you guys for the advice, where exacticaly is Craigslist? I looked on the classifieds and general but can't seem to find it... is there a search I could use? Thank you.
Kristin
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:06 am
by Tattoo
I have never used it but I think they mean this ...
http://burlington.craigslist.org/about/cities.html I agree with others. Cage is too narrow. I got a critter cage with screened lid brand new for under $80.00. Happy hunting!

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:43 am
by Kristin
Thank you that worked, I guess i never thought to try outside this site when they said Craigslist
Kristin
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:48 am
by Tattoo
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:56 am
by lernmeabook
I have a similar tank situation actually, the tank that I have is a tall one.. but I was thinking of putting it on its side. Do you think that there would be a problem with the heat lamp? If necessary I was even considering breaking the top and replacing it with a screen. What do you think?