Page 1 of 1
Fancy Feast
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:04 am
by bmxstreet21
My skink hasn't eaten much in two weeks. He still very sluggish, and I got rid of the mites weeks ago. All shes been eating is very little turkey baby food. So my dad bought Fancy Feast cat food and feed it to him. He said he ate a lot, but I checked the ingredients, and it looks like their are a lot of strange sounding things in it. What should I do?
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:28 am
by Jenn
One feeding shouldn't cause any problems. You might just want to pick up one of the ones on the caresheet and try and intice him with that.
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:33 am
by SailleSkinklover
I would avoid any further feedings of commercial low-grade cat foods like Fancy Feast. I wouldn't even feed that stuff to a cat, as its full of ash and other fillers that aren't any good for the animal. I don't think one feeding will hurt your skink necessarily, but I would definitly get back onto the caresheet, and look at trying some better quality catfood, such as Spots Stew or Wellness, (Stay away from fish flavors seems to be a general consensus)
and mix in finely chopped veggies such as collard greens into the catfood.
All I can say is, Caresheet, Caresheet, Caresheet!
And I would maybe get a good Herp Vet check up to make sure the mites are really all gone and to make sure no further damage is being/has been done, such as anemia. Check out a good herp vet in your area via this website:
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
scroll to the bottom and find your state/location and a good reputable one should be listed. People sometimes give reviews about their experiences with certain vets as well.
Good luck.
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:52 pm
by Leigh
What are his temps,does he actively sun bathe {does that make sense}if not put him under the lights incase he needs help, does he go for chicken or offer a snailor any favourite. When is his next shed due, it could be that, post a pic ,there could be a visual clue.
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:51 pm
by Steve
Wellness Core is my new favorite dog/cat food.
I like the Core Cat food but there is also a low fat Core Dog food that should be excellent for someone concerned about fattening up their skink.
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:26 pm
by Zach
Wellness is excellent.
Fancy Feast =

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:04 am
by Blotch
I feed my blueys fancy feast. Chicken and Turkey ones are fine. They are FULL of meat. I have a pic of a can in my gallery. I'll post.
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:06 am
by Blotch
http://bluetongueskinks.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=3719
It looks like there is a lot of gravy - but what you see is all there was. It was packed with meat. I just mix it with Dandelion greens, and assorted other ingredients I muster up.
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:23 am
by Zach
Heh, it may look like meat......

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:21 pm
by NomadOfTheHills
Oh, its full of "meat" all right...
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:37 pm
by Jenn
Have you tried mixing her food with egg? My guys love egg, raw, scrambled or hardboiled.