Canned cat/dog food (followup poll)
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Corycat
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:35 pm
- Country:
- Tyler
- The Essential Element

- Posts: 309
- Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:05 pm
- Country:
- Location: Pennsylvania Favorite Species: Easterns
- Jacki
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 273
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: San Antonio, Tx
Heather wrote:Yes Tiger, Bench and Fields. I picked up a few different kinds locally in the past week to see if I could stir up the Keis' appetites. I'm definitely buying Spot's original formula in bulk from now on.
Me too.
1.0 Merauke "Beau"
- zennygirl
- The Artist

- Posts: 174
- Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:24 pm
- Country:
- Location: san francisco
- Contact:
for the majority of you that use catfood all the time, doesn't that get incredibly expensive. that's like, $.85 per meat portion of one meal.
1.0 irian jaya blue tongue skink "pup D"
1.0 ball python "alfy"
0.0.1 fire skink "worm"
0.1 irian jaya carpet python "quimby"
1.0 tangerine honduran milksnake "skippy"
1.1 crested geckos "sepal" and "bract"
0.0.1 african giant millipede "schwartz/pede 2"
0.0.1 aviculara versicolor tarantula "cuddle biscuit"
0.1 german shepard/husky/wolf "kaia"
0.0.2 gold fish
- Jacki
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 273
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: San Antonio, Tx
- Lisa
- Blue Mountains Beauty

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mtns, NSW, Australia
I use a bit of dog food most meals, although there's not alot of eating happening at the moment since it's winter here.
Zenny, it helps if you've got dogs and that keeps the cost down
I just pinch a bit from my dog's food. I can't remember the brand I use - I've been using it for about 10 years, but there's a chicken, beef, lamb and turkey one and Jubby's current favourite is chicken. They all have carrots, peas, beans etc in them as well.
Zenny, it helps if you've got dogs and that keeps the cost down
1 Eastern, JUBBY, born January 2004
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
- zennygirl
- The Artist

- Posts: 174
- Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:24 pm
- Country:
- Location: san francisco
- Contact:
oh so you use dry dog food and wet it?
1.0 irian jaya blue tongue skink "pup D"
1.0 ball python "alfy"
0.0.1 fire skink "worm"
0.1 irian jaya carpet python "quimby"
1.0 tangerine honduran milksnake "skippy"
1.1 crested geckos "sepal" and "bract"
0.0.1 african giant millipede "schwartz/pede 2"
0.0.1 aviculara versicolor tarantula "cuddle biscuit"
0.1 german shepard/husky/wolf "kaia"
0.0.2 gold fish
- Lisa
- Blue Mountains Beauty

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mtns, NSW, Australia
zennygirl wrote:oh so you use dry dog food and wet it?
me? I use tin dog food, the wet stuff. It's like chunks in gravy with veggies in it. Looks good, smells awful and I wouldn't have a clue as to what it tastes like
When I got Jubby his breeder said to feed him Whiskas Jellymeat so I went and bought all these packets even though I don't have a cat and then the little bugger wouldn't have a bar of it.
So my dogs had cat food a couple of times
1 Eastern, JUBBY, born January 2004
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
- DixieDiana
- Whistling Dixie

- Posts: 168
- Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: Central Virginia
I use several different Iams flavors...Chicken, Turkey and Beef.
They seem to like the Turkey and the Chicken the most.
I also mix veggies and fruit with the cat food.
Don uses Whiskas mixed with veggies and fruit for his blueys.
I had never heard of or seen, Spot's Stew.
They seem to like the Turkey and the Chicken the most.
I also mix veggies and fruit with the cat food.
Don uses Whiskas mixed with veggies and fruit for his blueys.
I had never heard of or seen, Spot's Stew.

Precious Dixie Diana
Dec. 23, 1998 - April 26, 2006
If love could have saved you,
you would have lived forever!
-
LizardMom
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 25
- Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Daytona Beach, Florida
My first skink came from Ray, so I use the Wiskas cat food, along with the fruit and veggies. Everybody likes it, and they all seem to be doing well. My guys don't favor eating just their veggies, so cat food is a must.
Leslie
0.0.1 Eastern - hypo melanistic line 'Skinklet'
0.0.1 Indo - 'Cruiser'
0.0.1 Tanimbar - 'Smidgeon'
0.0.1 Northern - 'Skittles'
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - 'Ziggy"
I'm not allowed to have snakes. Nothing that doesn't have shoulders! (Apparently, corn snakes have shoulders!)
0.0.1 Eastern - hypo melanistic line 'Skinklet'
0.0.1 Indo - 'Cruiser'
0.0.1 Tanimbar - 'Smidgeon'
0.0.1 Northern - 'Skittles'
0.0.1 Irian Jaya - 'Ziggy"
I'm not allowed to have snakes. Nothing that doesn't have shoulders! (Apparently, corn snakes have shoulders!)
- Tigergenesis
- The Blue Bayou

- Posts: 1450
- Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:18 pm
- Country:
- Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Contact:
DixieDiana wrote:I use several different Iams flavors...Chicken, Turkey and Beef.
They seem to like the Turkey and the Chicken the most.
I also mix veggies and fruit with the cat food.
Don uses Whiskas mixed with veggies and fruit for his blueys.
I had never heard of or seen, Spot's Stew.
Spot's Stew is a well kept secret! Just kidding. Around here it's only at one petstore and at health food grocery stores. It's a very good high quality all natural brand. It's one of the few commercial cat/dog foods I'd feed my cat (if I had one) or dog.
0.1.1 Irian Jaya – “Princess Phoebe” and “Adrian”
0.0.1 Northern – “Piper”
0.0.1 Eastern – “Wyatt”
1.0.0 Kei – “Green Grissom”
1.0.0 Merauke – “Bayou”
-
kush
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 2:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: wyoming
since Miss Smidge does not arrive until tomorrow, I have not feed any cat/dog food to her yet. But, for my 4 dogs the only food that I ever feed them is Solid Gold..organic buffalo/line caught salmon. They also have cat food, so I would use that.
2.1.0 pit bulls: pugs, spanky, bliss
0.1.0 american staffordshire: kushkush
1.0.0 bearded dragon: puff
0.0.1 asian water monitor: rufus
0.2.0 sugar gliders: haley, bailey
1.0.0 hubby
1.0.0 son
0.0.1 corn snake: corny junior
0.0.1 northern: Miss Midge
0.1.0 american staffordshire: kushkush
1.0.0 bearded dragon: puff
0.0.1 asian water monitor: rufus
0.2.0 sugar gliders: haley, bailey
1.0.0 hubby
1.0.0 son
0.0.1 corn snake: corny junior
0.0.1 northern: Miss Midge
- Tigergenesis
- The Blue Bayou

- Posts: 1450
- Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:18 pm
- Country:
- Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Contact:
kush wrote:since Miss Smidge does not arrive until tomorrow, I have not feed any cat/dog food to her yet. But, for my 4 dogs the only food that I ever feed them is Solid Gold..organic buffalo/line caught salmon. They also have cat food, so I would use that.
I can't wait to see pics of Midge!!!
Many of us avoid seafoods with our blueys - so you may want to watch that.

0.1.1 Irian Jaya – “Princess Phoebe” and “Adrian”
0.0.1 Northern – “Piper”
0.0.1 Eastern – “Wyatt”
1.0.0 Kei – “Green Grissom”
1.0.0 Merauke – “Bayou”
-
Ann
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Connecticut
Jenn wrote:Right now with Saphira I am using cat food with ever meal. I am also using it with Frankie because she eats when I mix her veggies with it. It may not be natural for them but I think it's more important that she eats.
Spike and Baylee have been eating human meat mix with their veggies for a while now. With them I'm starting to try get their protien through insects, pinkies and snails. They will both eat a plate of veggies without me having to add anything to it and I feel that the insects, pinkies and snails are a more natural diet for them.
You know I agree with you! I think there are important vitamins and minerals found in whole prey that we just can't duplicate with pet food or meat.
That said, Stella isn't working with me on this nutritional epiphany, so she still gets cat food (Iams right now- the health food store ordered me that Spot's Stew).
1.1 Mali uros "George and Martha"
1.1 bearded dragons "Big Al" and "Molly"
0.1 dumeril's boa "Olivia"
0.1 spotted python "Charlotte"
1.0 gray tree frog "Tiny"
1.0 White's tree frog "Sticky"
1.1 African dwarf frogs
- Tigergenesis
- The Blue Bayou

- Posts: 1450
- Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:18 pm
- Country:
- Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Contact:
Stubborn Stella, eh?
That's great that they ordered it for you. For anyone asking a store to order it (or if ordering online), be aware that the cat food comes in Original and another kind with seafood (I think Seafood and Clams).
That's great that they ordered it for you. For anyone asking a store to order it (or if ordering online), be aware that the cat food comes in Original and another kind with seafood (I think Seafood and Clams).

0.1.1 Irian Jaya – “Princess Phoebe” and “Adrian”
0.0.1 Northern – “Piper”
0.0.1 Eastern – “Wyatt”
1.0.0 Kei – “Green Grissom”
1.0.0 Merauke – “Bayou”
- shona
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 13
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:51 am
- Country:
- Location: Glasgow, Scotland
I voted never. I used to use it all the time when I first got Yuri but it was very expensive and there was so much waste. I also found his poo's were quite runny and smelly.
Now I just buy a packet of chicken breasts, mince etc. and split these into skinkie size portions and freeze them. That way I've always got some put by. When it comes to meal time it takes two seconds to defrost and cook them and then whack them in the blender with the greens and fruit.
Since I started doing this, I've probably paid less than £5 (maybe $3.50) in meat in the last few months. Definitly cheaper than the cat/dog food - even the small pouches or tins, as there's very little waste.
Now I just buy a packet of chicken breasts, mince etc. and split these into skinkie size portions and freeze them. That way I've always got some put by. When it comes to meal time it takes two seconds to defrost and cook them and then whack them in the blender with the greens and fruit.
Since I started doing this, I've probably paid less than £5 (maybe $3.50) in meat in the last few months. Definitly cheaper than the cat/dog food - even the small pouches or tins, as there's very little waste.
1.0 Irian Jaya called Yuri
Also...
1.2 Leopard Geckos
0.1 Chinese Water Dragon
1.1 Berber Skinks
1.1 Crested Geckos
1.0 Whites Tree Frog
and finally...
1.0 Rabbit called Murray
Also...
1.2 Leopard Geckos
0.1 Chinese Water Dragon
1.1 Berber Skinks
1.1 Crested Geckos
1.0 Whites Tree Frog
and finally...
1.0 Rabbit called Murray
- Lisa
- Blue Mountains Beauty

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mtns, NSW, Australia
Jenn wrote:Spike and Baylee have been eating human meat mix with their veggies for a while now.
Note to self....don't go round to Jenn's place when the skinks are hungry. 
1 Eastern, JUBBY, born January 2004
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
- Ryan
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 57
- Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:31 pm
- Country:
- Location: Des Moines, Iowa
- Jenn
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am
- Country:
- Location: CT
-
kush
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 2:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: wyoming
tiger, thanks for the heads up on not using seafood. solid gold has some chicken cat food. it sounds pretty easy just to cook some chicken up and freeze it though. i have to cook up turkey for the water monitor, but no greens or fruit for him.
i can't wait till tomorrow!!
i can't wait till tomorrow!!
2.1.0 pit bulls: pugs, spanky, bliss
0.1.0 american staffordshire: kushkush
1.0.0 bearded dragon: puff
0.0.1 asian water monitor: rufus
0.2.0 sugar gliders: haley, bailey
1.0.0 hubby
1.0.0 son
0.0.1 corn snake: corny junior
0.0.1 northern: Miss Midge
0.1.0 american staffordshire: kushkush
1.0.0 bearded dragon: puff
0.0.1 asian water monitor: rufus
0.2.0 sugar gliders: haley, bailey
1.0.0 hubby
1.0.0 son
0.0.1 corn snake: corny junior
0.0.1 northern: Miss Midge
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 232 guests

