My Red African Fire Skink escaped today.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
genkid
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:15 pm
Country:
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

My Red African Fire Skink escaped today.

Postby genkid » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:41 pm

This morning my son left the lid off of "steve's" terrarium and I heard a sound in the direction of the room where the skinks are. I went to check it out and the lid was on the floor & he was gone. Searched for a while- found him hiding in the basket that I keep "skink supplies" in. :shock: He isn't a very social skink- infact after watching the girl at the pet shop get bit several times while transferring him to my container when I bought him, I decided handling him wasn't a priority to me. This was my first herp purchase and didn't do my homework beforehand. Anyway I think he was wild caught- cause he hasn't made up with us very much and hides and "runs" away when you walk near the terrarium. (not like my BTS at all) So this was a real problem for me today. I spied him in the basket and decided it was now or never because he was going to flee any second- didn't want the dog to eat him or for him to be forever living under and behind things. So I grabbed em'-he wiggled with all his might ( which was more than I thought he had haha) I held on and received several bites and scratches for doing so, but I am happy to report that I got him back where he belonged quickly. :) Does anyone else have an RAFS and if so- any luck taming them? I should tell everyone that "steve" is the reason we got a BTS. Wanted a more friendly critter and the BTS is sooo much better. We love her. Image (This is Steve)
~"Genny"~
User avatar
mewzic-7123
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:27 pm
Country:
Location: B.C Canada

Postby mewzic-7123 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:19 pm

im guessing you should try gloves, and keep handling him until he gets used to you and figures out your not gonna kill him
User avatar
LittleFoot
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Country:
Location: NE Pennsy

Postby LittleFoot » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:32 pm

the picture link didn't work for me :(
Pippi
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:28 pm

Zenny here on the forum has one I think...

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
thesilverbeast
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:07 am
Country:
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Postby thesilverbeast » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:34 pm

awesome skink! where are they native too? i've never heard of them before.
User avatar
genkid
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:15 pm
Country:
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Postby genkid » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:03 am

They are native to Africa, specifically- the woodland & subtropical rainforest of Togo and Ghana. Also known as African Togo Skink. He is a very attractive little beast. some said link didn't work. I will add to my gallery for easier viewing.
~"Genny"~
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:30 am

Image

There ya go.
User avatar
SailleSkinklover
Bluey Fanatic
Bluey Fanatic
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Everett WA
Contact:

Postby SailleSkinklover » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:36 am

Wow, what a beautiful little fireball! I can't handle my gecko either, but I still love him because he's cute as heck ! But for cuddles, a bluey is always best. :hug:
User avatar
Jenn
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am
Country:
Location: CT

Postby Jenn » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:58 pm

The Reptiles June 2006 issue has an article on Fire Skinks.

These guys are diural so it recomends using a UVB for calcuim metablolish. Plus the UVA to help stimulate normal social bhaviors. Their temps should be between 78-85. Heat should be provided by an overhead basking lamp with a basking spot near 90. You won't normally see them basking out in the open though. Daily misting is recommended to help maintain high humidity. Food should be a variety of live and commerial foods such as crickets, mealworms, waxworms, eath worms, pinky mice, canned cat food and commercial diets made for carnivorous and omnivorous reptiles. . The commercial foods should be fed in limited quantitiies. All vertebrates should be dusted with calcium or gut loaded. One skink can be kepted in a ten gallon vivarium. The substrate should be several inches deep so the little guy an burrow. The substrate should be cypress mulch, coconut coir, potting soil without vermiculite or peat and sphagnum moss. It doesn't say anything about how to tame them. It sounds more like they are pretty to look at vs. being able to handle.
1.0 Northerns Christopher

:blueyprint:
User avatar
LittleFoot
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Country:
Location: NE Pennsy

Postby LittleFoot » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:09 pm

russman wrote:Image

There ya go.


he is a beautiful little guy :)
Pippi
User avatar
kvega92
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Frederick, Maryland

FBS

Postby kvega92 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:19 pm

Some animals are just meant to be admired. I had a lizard like that he never wanted to be touched.
Love till the ends of your fingertips.
User avatar
genkid
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:15 pm
Country:
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Postby genkid » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:37 am

Thanks for the help with the pic!! I'm still getting used to my new OS (vista) by the time I figure it all out- it willl be obsolete! :x :lol:

Well- got to feed the skinks. Thanks for all the advice too.
~"Genny"~

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 191 guests